WAG Activating glutes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Spinoff of something mentioned in passing in the parent forum:

What do you do if you suspect your gymnast is not using her glutes properly when jumping and tumbling? Not properly activating the glute muscles would go a long way towards explaining a whole variety of issues my kid has been experiencing, but I don't know to go about investigating this possibility. She was supposed to be working on jumping and landing technique in PT for a previous injury, but that was not very helpful. She was also supposed to be working on landing technique in the gym after the injury, but I don't think the coaches really had the time to pay close attention to it or give her any special drills. We have not had great experiences with PT. There is a special sports performance clinic affiliated with a local hospital, but that seems like overkill and will be very expensive. Are there simple drills kids can work on at home?

Glute Bridges! All variations work, but here is the best for glute activation... But without actually seeing your daughter move, it is hard to diagnose where the dysfunction is occurring.

I have this issue and have been going to physio for it. I second the glute bridges. Also squats, perhaps adding a jump at the top. If she has trouble sitting back into the squat and tends to lean ahead, get her to touch her butt down on a low bench. If she has trouble with glute activation on one side, try single leg squats and single leg bridges, and even walking lunges. If you can find a sports physio you can afford, I would highly recommend going.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back