WAG Ankle weights

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wrote a response to this, but it seems to have been eaten by the ChalkBucket monsters. Anyways...

Generally, it is not a wise idea to wear ankle weights during any dynamic, fast movements that take place through a large range of motion (think split leaps). However, wearing them for additional weight on certain calisthenic exercises (think pull-ups) is perfectly acceptable.

These are things I do not use ankle weights for:
  • Leap varieties (split, switch, tour jeté, etc.)
  • Jump varieties (split, straddle, ring, etc.)
  • Running & vaulting
  • Tumbling
  • Uneven bars
  • Balance beam
These are things I do use ankle weights for:
  • Calisthenic exercises (pull-ups, dips, etc.)
  • Plyometric exercises (pogo jumps, box jumps, candle roll tuck jumps, etc.)
  • Isometric holds and active flexibility (scale holds, support holds, seated straddle leg lifts)
  • Press handstand varieties

I have experienced lots of success so far, and I do a lot of reading on the topic because I really don't want my kids injured. My girls have had no injuries so far.

I wrote a response to this, but it seems to have been eaten by the ChalkBucket monsters. Anyways...

Generally, it is not a wise idea to wear ankle weights during any dynamic, fast movements that take place through a large range of motion (think split leaps). However, wearing them for additional weight on certain calisthenic exercises (think pull-ups) is perfectly acceptable.

• Running & vaulting
  • Tumbling
  • Uneven bars
  • Balance beam
  • Isometric holds and active flexibility (scale holds, support holds, seated straddle leg lifts)

I have experienced lots of success so far, and I do a lot of reading on the topic because I really don't want my kids injured. My girls have had no injuries so far.

I am very curious what is your thought process when it comes to Jump varieties vs. plyometric exercises. Seems like plyometrics would be one to avoid. Thanks.

I am very curious what is your thought process when it comes to Jump varieties vs. plyometric exercises. Seems like plyometrics would be one to avoid. Thanks.
The exact plyometric exercises being used definitely matter, because certain ones should be avoided. However, plyometric movements such as pogo jumps, or depth jumps with immediate rebounds are fine because they do not involve moving the legs to the limits of their motion. Jumping skills such as box jumps, tuck jumps, straight jumps, squat jumps, etc. are also safe because the weights are simply being used as resistance during a movement within a safe range of motion.

Eurgh we just changed gyms beginning of November I walked into practice Friday and yesterday to find my dd on fast track with ankle weights on doing jumps and leaps also another girl using them on floor it's not gonna go done well at all bringing it up to the coach!

Ankle weights for jumps on fast track absolutely pointless. So you are adding resistance through the ankle weight and cancelling it out with extra airtime from the fast track. Eh?

Added to the issues from ankle weights for leaps and jumps anyway. Such a bad idea.

There are loads of really good drills for leaps and jumps which don't use ankle weights. Like Dunno I like the idea of weighting round the middle of the torso if you want to use weights.

• Running & vaulting
  • Tumbling
  • Uneven bars
  • Balance beam

in bold. bad idea.

in bold. bad idea.
Based on the information and concepts in the Hybrid Perspective article, as well as a lot of the info I have gained on this site (a large amount of it from you) about ankle weights, I can't see how this could be true. Can you elaborate? I know certain plyometric movements, such as ones that involve splits, straddles, or back flexion and thoracic torsion are bad, but how can jumps, punches and tuck jumps be bad? There's nothing being pushed past it's limits.

If I could be doing something safer, I need to know!!!

From my understanding and this is my own concern with weights around ankles. Jumping with extra weight at one point changes the load and can lead to that foot not being placed correctly, hurts enough rolling your ankle... hurts even more with an extra few pounds strapped to it. Hopefully someone else can explain it a little better.

I remember seeing a video of a warm up and these kids had ankle weights on for a running/jumping/plyometric warm up - maybe it was just bad luck but too many girls were wearing back braces too :eek:

Based on the information and concepts in the Hybrid Perspective article, as well as a lot of the info I have gained on this site (a large amount of it from you) about ankle weights, I can't see how this could be true. Can you elaborate? I know certain plyometric movements, such as ones that involve splits, straddles, or back flexion and thoracic torsion are bad, but how can jumps, punches and tuck jumps be bad? There's nothing being pushed past it's limits.

If I could be doing something safer, I need to know!!!

I wouldn't do it because some of these involve abdominal contraction motions with multiple repetitions and you can strain abdominal muscles causing a hernia. Also, I'm not really convinced of the efficacy in those exercises. Plyometric motions are supoosed to focus on decreasing ground contact time...not sure ankle weights really accomplish that.

I think other kinds of weight work can be fine as long as the weight is appropriate and it's very controlled (usually you wouldn't see a number of repetitions or repetitive performance like with candle stick jumps). I don't use ankle weights at all, ever, but if I did it would only be for controlled movement where it works as a neurological cue, not for sets of exercises that could lead to fatigue. I do use some weights in different ways but when you work with younger kids the potential for poor form and fatigue is so big, I just don't really find it necessary. I do use resistance bands which could cause some of the same problems if the resistance is not appropriate.

Here we have the girls in compulsories use them for entire beam routines. I don't like it. If there are any falls the ankle weights will make that impact more intense. And no matter how good a gymnast you are, everyone falls off beam sometimes. Even if the routine is perfect you are still getting the impact from the dismount. I'm not involved with that training group at all but when I see them do it, I'm not happy.

They also use ankle weights for back handspring step outs up onto panel mats (training for doing BHS on beam). That looks like it would put extra strain on the back, especially if their BHS isn't great yet.

Gr... train smarter, not harder, guys.

From my understanding and this is my own concern with weights around ankles. Jumping with extra weight at one point changes the load and can lead to that foot not being placed correctly, hurts enough rolling your ankle... hurts even more with an extra few pounds strapped to it. Hopefully someone else can explain it a little better.

I remember seeing a video of a warm up and these kids had ankle weights on for a running/jumping/plyometric warm up - maybe it was just bad luck but too many girls were wearing back braces too :eek:

you explained it perfectly. and that's why. :)

Here we have the girls in compulsories use them for entire beam routines. I don't like it. If there are any falls the ankle weights will make that impact more intense. And no matter how good a gymnast you are, everyone falls off beam sometimes. Even if the routine is perfect you are still getting the impact from the dismount. I'm not involved with that training group at all but when I see them do it, I'm not happy.

They also use ankle weights for back handspring step outs up onto panel mats (training for doing BHS on beam). That looks like it would put extra strain on the back, especially if their BHS isn't great yet.

Gr... train smarter, not harder, guys.

stooooooooooopid.

I wouldn't do it because some of these involve abdominal contraction motions with multiple repetitions and you can strain abdominal muscles causing a hernia. Also, I'm not really convinced of the efficacy in those exercises. Plyometric motions are supoosed to focus on decreasing ground contact time...not sure ankle weights really accomplish that.

I think other kinds of weight work can be fine as long as the weight is appropriate and it's very controlled (usually you wouldn't see a number of repetitions or repetitive performance like with candle stick jumps). I don't use ankle weights at all, ever, but if I did it would only be for controlled movement where it works as a neurological cue, not for sets of exercises that could lead to fatigue. I do use some weights in different ways but when you work with younger kids the potential for poor form and fatigue is so big, I just don't really find it necessary. I do use resistance bands which could cause some of the same problems if the resistance is not appropriate.

this too. ankle weights are just a bad idea all the way around. so many other things to be doing.

Our coaches use them a lot, too. I don't think I've seen them on beam, but I know I've seen them used during standing back tucks/pikes. But I don't think my opinion, medically fact-based or not, would be of any interest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back