Parents Is Competitive Gymnastics Right For My Family?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Thanks to Jen Kula for another great article! Check it out and let us know what you think in the comments below...

Last edited:

WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR OTHERS JUST JOINING TEAM NOW?​

As a former DP (JO) gymnast, and soon to be parent, this is a great article. I have absolutely loved coaching in a low hours Xcel program and I think that if our daughter shows interest in the sport, that's the route I would want to pursue.

And when kids get into high school , they forgone the normal high school sports which are free. But for gymnastics, parents still need to pay out of pocket money for the 4 years

The vast majority of student athletes who are getting recruited for D1 teams in most sports are not simply playing high school sports for free. They are almost always playing club sports in addition to the school team and often getting private coaching as well. High school coaching is simply not enough for most teens to be recruited.
And when kids get into high school , they forgone the normal high school sports which are free. But for gymnastics, parents still need to pay out of pocket money for the 4 year

The vast majority of student athletes who are getting recruited for D1 teams in most sports are not simply playing high school sports for free. They are almost always playing club sports in addition to the school team and often getting private coaching as well. High school coaching is simply not enough for most teens to be recruited.
And when it is sufficient, it’s because you moved your family specifically so your kid can go to a sports factory.

Usually Public High Schools athletes of all sports , have practice everyday at school, if kids are on the team. Mostly they don’t have time for outside club sports unless kids not able to make the team .

Even you do club team at the same time. You don’t pay that much like gymnastics. Gymnastics is a very expensive sport with long time commitment, about twice or triple of the cost of other sports Because the training time is long and they need a gym with lots of equipments .

Usually Public High Schools athletes of all sports , have practice everyday at school, if kids are on the team. Mostly they don’t have time for outside club sports unless kids not able to make the team .
Every single high end high school football player receives private coaching. Most team sports train at most 6 months a year.

Even you do club team at the same time. You don’t pay that much like gymnastics. Gymnastics is a very expensive sport with long time commitment, about twice or triple of the cost of other sports Because the training time is long and they need a gym with lots of equipments .
This is just not true.

If you want to see an expensive sport, go talk to someone who does anything equestrian related.

My son was on high school basketball team . He had practice all year round, including summer.

My son was on high school basketball team . He had practice all year round, including summer.
Was your son a McDonald's All American? If not, then it's totally different.

Rec gymnastics is dirt cheap too. We're not talking about "sports just for fun" here.

Maybe different schools do different things. It really depends on your school
This has been discussed on here previously. But kids are not being recruited to college teams from High School, they are on travel teams that cost allot of money which varies depending on the sport. Gymnastics is not the only expensive sport out there.

This has been discussed on here previously. But kids are not being recruited to college teams from High School, they are on travel teams that cost allot of money which varies depending on the sport. Gymnastics is not the only expensive sport out there.
I don’t even think gymnastics is particularly expensive. It’s a bit travel intensive but the cost of DP coaching is dirt cheap for the amount of contact hours a good gym provides to a higher level team athlete.

There is a lot wrong with gymnastics but I’m not sure (with few obvious exceptions) it could feasibly be set up more affordably.

I don’t even think gymnastics is particularly expensive. It’s a bit travel intensive but the cost of DP coaching is dirt cheap for the amount of contact hours a good gym provides to a higher level team athlete.

There is a lot wrong with gymnastics but I’m not sure (with few obvious exceptions) it could feasibly be set up more affordably.
I'm new to the sport this is only my daughter's first year competing. While I agree that the training costs are not all that expensive the competition fees added up very quickly.

I'm new to the sport this is only my daughter's first year competing. While I agree that the training costs are not all that expensive the competition fees added up very quickly.
Yeah. Meet fees add up. And I think my daughter probably does 2 or 3 meets more than is necessary, but compared to travel team baseball or soccer? Not that different.

Imagine doing snow boarding, or any shooting sport. There you need high priced equipment just to start. Apparently ice hockey and ice skating are both very very expensive as well.

We pay about $2200 each gymnast for the meets season each year besides monthly training fee , not including the travel expense . Maybe each gym charged differently

Not true. For example, for baseball the club teams (and leagues and tournaments) take a "break" for the duration of the high school season starting at 15u.

Gymnastics does not, however. Club gymnasts generally do not do HS gymnastics in my area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back