MAG Back Handsprings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My young six year old kinder level 4 is close. I know he's been working on it. We're about to do a gym change and I know he was showing a potential new coach what he could do. Of the five teammates this year, (all fall/winter birthday six year old level fours) that practiced together they are all just starting to get it now that season is over.

Boys gym builds in the bonus system from L4 on - which allows boys to compete at a level where they may not have every skill on every event, but can still succeed in their strong events while learning/polishing the others. In this way it is much different than compulsory girls - more like optional girls except more laid back!

Both boys here competed L4 without BHS - the younger one had it his second season (he started at barely 6). Both have continued to have some strong and some weaker events - and the only season they almost quit was when the coach made the whole team stay L5 unless they had EVERY L6 BONUS...needless to say, none did...and now with a new coach and the option of excelling in strong events while working weaker ones hard again, they are soooo much happier and more hard working. Every boy on the team is moving up except a few new/young L4s....every boy is paying attention and working harder with being allowed to have exciting goals....HMMMMM....

Boys need to be challenged and honestly I suspect few young boys get much satisfaction out of .2 less deductions because they finally pointed toes on the routine they've done for 2 years - versus the excitement of getting out there and doing a new skill, if not perfectly - some girls are more able to tolerate polishing at an early age, some not. Safety of course is paramount, and I have seen some SCARY back head springs in low level boys gym - but in general boy gymnasts seem, like my youngest, to bounce no matter what!

My son won first on L4 floor at state last year without back handspring so I definitely don't think you have to have it. For whatever reason their team really didn't practice BHS until recently preparing for L5. He had other floor bonuses like press handstand though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back