WAG Beginning of season goals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I always post about my daughter's goals at the beginning of the year. I asked my daughter about her goals for the season. She wanted her team to vote her strongest and bars queen at the year end banquet. She also said she wants to treat every meet like it's state, where she has always performed very well.

Then we talked about this weekend's meet. She wanted to be first on bars and get 9s on every routine. NOOOOOOOO!!!! I had thought we were past score and placement goals.

I asked for a non-score and non-placement goal for each routine. She came up with:

Bars (her best event): try to do every skill perfectly

Beam: don't fall

Floor: rebound with straight legs after her FHS

Vault: stick both vaults

I like that we're getting away from score and placement goals (no "I want to be state champ" goals this year!) though that monster isn't quite vanquished.

I love compulsory goals, so innocent and attainable - my level 10 dd's biggest goal is to not get hurt! LOL, ok maybe not the biggest, but up there right next to going to nationals.

I think your dd's goals sound great. I think score and placement goals are not completely bad as long as she realizes that she cannot control what the judges and other girls do, only herself and what she needs to do/change to make the scores possible.

One of our optionals also made "do not get hurt" a season goal. Two years ago she broke her fingers and last year she broke her toes. So yeah, not getting hurt is big with her.....and her mother!

One of our optionals also made "do not get hurt" a season goal. Two years ago she broke her fingers and last year she broke her toes. So yeah, not getting hurt is big with her.....and her mother!
Sounds like a goal my daughter needs!

I'll have to ask DD for hers. Right now, vault is challenging her the most. My personal goal is for her to not fall off the beam.

DD's goal for her first meet is to come in top 6, and if there are 6 or less, not last :)

Other than that, her goals are totally skill related.

wgymmom, what level is she?

New 4.

Okay, for bars she wants to make her squat on, for floor she wants to remember all her corrections, for vault she wants no bent arms and a good block, and for beam she wants to make her turn without a wobble.

I want her scores to contribute to the team total. ;)

DD isn't/didn't compete this year, but she hit all of her skills goals last monthFHC, RO BHS BT, and kip.
Her very last goal was to make the L4 team next month. Then she'll start making goals all over again.

Older gymmie goals: Qualify for YMCA Nationals; Get at least one 9 during the season. Put her RO BHS BT in her floor routine consistently; No fall bar and beam routines; Get her Flyaway back; higher casts; Bar connections; Go on to Xcel Platinum after Nationals.

Younger gymmie: Remember beam Routine; at least one 9 during the season; get the dreaded middle circle; No-fall beam routine; Pointed toes on splits; pretty RO BHS. Uptraining goals: for kip club - get kip; pretty RO 2BHS; front handspring; get over the big vault :). Other goal: Convince coach that NEXT season (2014-15) that she should be allowed to compete Xcel Gold as a 10 year old instead of doing a year at New L4 first.:rolleyes:

1. Compete cast handstand giant giant laid out fly away.

2. Compete a full (ummmmm....she can't do one yet so this is interesting).

3. Get a 9.0 on vault.

4. Win at least one meet (I assume she means all around).

5. Learn a Yurchenko (not going to happen this year, darlin')

DS doesn't want much. He only wants to do a "perfect" L6 mushroom AND horse routine with all the bonuses. Rock on, little dude, rock on! But no more Kohei Uchimura videos for you.

DD, thank goodness, really just wants to compete her full on floor this year. She won't get cleared to do it unless it's good, and it's looking like it might actually be good enough. And she wants to put out some nice bars routines with all the stuff she was struggling with last year mastered this year.

Glad the first meet went well, Cbone! (And glad we don't have to think about meets for another two months!)

DD's goal is to make L9 next year. She's more focused on skills than scores - not sure if that is good or bad, but as long as the skills are progressing and an adequate AA is achieved I'm fine with that goal.

My goal for her is another year with only minor aches and pains (knock on wood and all that stuff).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back