WAG Big flyaway fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Madds

Gymnast
I am a level five gymnast and I having been having many problems with flyaways. I competed level four for the first half of the season because I didn't have my flyaway. Two months ago I had a private and got it! But one practice I did one and my teammate said that I was close to the bar. My coach said I wasn't but I got freaked out because of what my teammate said. Ever since then I can not get myself to let go even with my coach spotting me. I had a meet two weeks ago and I balked at the meet and didn't let go. (My coach was very angry). Now I can't even do it on the pit bar or even just let go and land on my back( a timer). I don't feel scared my mind just won't let me let go. I have a meet coming up and only have on practice left! Please help me! (Scratching the event isn't an option)

I don't know much about anything. And my daughters coach says this about flyaway so, skill wise they are easy but they are scary.

So as the Nike saying goes. Just Do It.

You've do e them, awesome, keep going

I am about as acrobatic as a mule, so I asked my dd....she said to pretend the bar is a hot coal right when you are to let go. She swears by this.
She is younger than you obviously...but hey...anything is worth a try. She also said that she wouldn't listen to anything her teammates said; she only listens to the hc...in this way she is older than her age, lol.
Try and visualize yourself doing it. If you have an actual video of it, watch it over and over. And I am sorry. :( I overheard my dd's coach tell her it just took guts and to go for it. You have done it before. You can do it again.

Flyaways aren't that hard of a skill physically, but mentally they hold a lot of people back :( I know it they are scary but you really need to just try it. I know, I know, easier said then done. Maybe try giving yourself a reward if you do it (a little treat of some kind or a night with friends). Visualize yourself doing it perfectly before you go. As long as you let go at a close to the right time - your body will automatically flip you. Ask to try more drills. You'll get it, Keep working!

At competitions if u feel really worked up...the stress of the competition can get to u sometimes and you force yourself to let go! But if not then just tell yourself that u have done this skill before and that your body knows how to do it !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back