WAG Challenging scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is from inquiry , they don't do that here or anywhere that I have been.

Was just curious. Here it seems like they generally will only respond to specific deductions (i.e. 2 tenths) if you list the skill(s) you're inquiring about. Otherwise they will just write like "amplitude" or something.

If a JO coach believes there is an error in a gymnast's score, what is the procedure to challenge the score? Or is there an informal procedure by which a coach can get an explanation of the deductions without requesting a change to the score? Since there doesn't appear to be a standard form for recording deductions and there is no instant replay, how can the judges recall a particular routine when reviewing their scores?

I am curious because there was outrage over a particular score (not my kid's) at a recent meet and it sounded as if the coaches took some type of action, but the score did not appear to change.[/QUOTE

That sounds like what happened to my friend. Coaches had video if event and showed judges everything was explained as to why such a low score. This was at States

This has always puzzled me about gymnastics. Based on my experience competing in other areas (sports and non-sports), after my daughter's first meet I was very surprised only to get a card with the final scores and not a form listing all the routine elements with deductions (amount and reason) and perhaps a comment or two.
There's a local judge's cup meet at the start of the season here that will give each gymnast detailed feedback. Some gyms go there, but ours tends to just bring a judge or two into the gym before season starts.

This season, my son's high bar score went up .5 after his coach talked to the judge. The judge had overlooked an element group for which my son should have gotten credit. His coach always asks informally if he thinks the E score is out of whack, just so he can satisfy himself about what was deducted. I don't get the impression that he abuses inquiries, but he certainly is not one to leave tenths on the table that he believes his athletes should have been awarded.

I think the angriest I've ever seen a coach get was during my son's first year at L5 -- he did a nice pbars routine and when the score went up, my husband and I looked at each other and said, "huh, thought that would be higher." Like a point higher. His then-coach turned bright red and you could almost literally see the steam coming out of his ears. He had a looooong chat with the judge, after which the program director had a loooooong chat with DS's coach. At the end of the meet, we asked him what was up, and he said through gritted teeth, "flexed feet, I guess." Very funny in retrospect.

Our program director hunted down at the bar and interrogated the judge who totally botched pbar judging at regionals a few years ago. He apparently "lost his notes" after the fateful session. :D

I've seen coaches go up to judges and ask/argue over scores. Sometimes the score will be changed. I've heard you don't want to do it too much and pick your battles.

Like don't fight over something like a cast requirement or a series connection when it was close, but something like getting docked for not doing a skill at all when the gymnast clearly did it...yeah.

Yeah. My dd got a lower beam score than we were expecting given her performance at one meet. Coach inquired. 2 judges gave her a 10 start value, but other 2 did not give her credit for connection. Coach decided not to contest because 2 lower judges were the 'head' judges, and all scores would have probably been brought down to lower start value. It happens. She definitely wobbled a little. Such is life. .... she says she will nail it next time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back