Coaches Coaching pregnant??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

momsiscoach

I am 8 weeks pregnant and currently coach L3,4, and 5. Any tips from anyone who has been here? My girls know and spotting is not an issue right now as we have many assistants, but I am wondering what other challenges I might face.

THe only thing I would suggest is to have your doctor check whether you are immune to fifth disease. THis is a common childhood virus that is really not good for pregnant women to contract.

haha I've been there! Definitely do what Bog said, find out if there's anything disease wise you should watch out for. Have hand sanitizer at the ready! I would also ask at every appointment what you are capable of spotting. Once you start to show your balance might be off a bit. Just pay attention to that , it can sneak up on you lol. The hardest position for me to spot in was my knees, it was wobbly and it hurt. I kept a block around to give me height and sat on it from about 6 months on to avoid using my knees in spotting. Standing never bothered me, it was all knees!

Bring lots of water to work, and lots of crackers or fruit. Whatever is fast for when you're hungry. Mentally map nearby trashcans if you're prone to sickness.

Be prepared for tons of questions from the girls. All innocent curiosity, but if they start asking where babies come from redirect them back to mom and dad!!!! Some of the stuff they say is pretty surprising, especially if they're comfortable with you. Oh, and they will try to name your baby all kinds of crazy names probably lol.

This probably goes without saying, but don't try to demonstrate anything. Your body is fully prepared to betray you lol. Leave new skill spotting to the other coaches. I did the stretching and strength stuff with my girls, minor skill spotting, watched full routines, and verbal corrections.

THe only thing I would suggest is to have your doctor check whether you are immune to fifth disease. THis is a common childhood virus that is really not good for pregnant women to contract.

I would go a step further and check titres for all the commonly vaccinated for diseases as well. Lots of kids aren't being vaccinated now & parents send kids to the gym any way. I can't imagine how crummy it'd be to get, say, rubella or whooping cough.

We had an 8 month pregnant coach back into a foam pit at a meet. She was also ex military and thought it was funny. I've no idea how she climbed out on her own.

Our head coach stayed until the week before giving birth. The weekend before she went to States. Obviously she did not spot towards the end of the pregnancy, but was extremely active for most of it. It was great motivation for the girls, seeing a pregnant coach landing cartwheels on the low beam!

Our head coach stayed until the week before giving birth. The weekend before she went to States. Obviously she did not spot towards the end of the pregnancy, but was extremely active for most of it. It was great motivation for the girls, seeing a pregnant coach landing cartwheels on the low beam!

You should see a 6' tall 8 mos pregnant coach doing toe turns. Her balance was a bit off :)

I an actually recall when we had 3 or 4 pregnant coaches and 6 pregnant moms at the same time in our gym. Now our dance teacher is pregnant.

I coached until the day I had both girls! I had one parent come to me after class and ask "Does your Dr. know you are doing all this activity?" I laughed and pointed to my Dr. who was standing in the hallway at the time!! I said "Why don't you ask her?" It is perfectly safe to continue doing the same activities you were doing before you became pregnant. However, look out for the jumping...your bladder just isn't what it used to be :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back