Parents Equipment vendors?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mai_lin

Proud Parent
Hi all,

My daughter wants a kip bar and mat set for christmas this year.

I priced the kip bar with extension kit, panel mat and 4" thick practice mat at just over $900 on amazon.

I consider this very high for a christmas gift (actually this would qualify for 3 christmas' typically)

Are there vendors that I could buy from that would be demonstrated quality and hopefully better price?

We can't have a pull up bar as the doorways in our home won't support one (all rooms have double doors/sliders) - we've settled on a kip bar for that work - I won't allow her to be doing actual bar work on it which she understands.

I'm not looking for opinions on its use but would love vendors to get it from.

Waste of money!

All she will learn is bad habits that will have to be corrected by a coach at the gym. Leave gymnastics to trained professionals in a safe setting in the gym. the kip is one of the most fundamental bar skills and learning it wrong will not set the stage for a solid future in the sport.

We can't have a pull up bar as the doorways in our home won't support one (all rooms have double doors/sliders) - we've settled on a kip bar for that work - I won't allow her to be doing actual bar work on it which she understands.

It is a lot of money to spend, for something she won't even be doing bar work on. $900 is actually quite cheap, I would not go cheaper, it will collapse if you compromise on quality. Also take note of the weight limit, most home equipment has this and the cheaper bars are often designed for ore school aged kids.

A bar at home is a lose - lose situation. If she doesn't use it then you have an expensive white elephant and if she does, then as the coaches above have said, she will actually do more harm than good to her gymnastics skills.

ÀLL the rooms have double doors??? Even the bathroom? If that is the case, you could get a wall mounted pull up bar or (depending on ceiling height) a ceiling mounted pull up bar. Either one of them can be found for $25 - $100 or less and wouldn't tempt her to try actual bar skills.

My daughter wanted a pull up bar and the wood of our door frames couldn't support it. We returned it and bought a power tower (freestanding pull up bar plus other exercise stations) for under $100 and a fold up mat that can fit under it or be used alone. It gets a little use by everyone in the house, is sturdy enough to be used by adults and the bar is too close to the ceiling for her to be tempted to attempt anything except conditioning.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back