Parents Fall on bars....rough practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I only watch practice once a month or so for 30 or 40 min at the end so I usually catch bars. My DD is level 5 but they're doing a ton of uptraining level 6 and even 7 right now probably because of the uncertainty of meet season. So she gets to the high bar her coach spots her on a giant, she goes for her flyaway slams her legs on the bar and then hits her forehead on the mat. She got up quickly but crying and all I wanted to do was console her which of course I couldn't. Like a champ she took a few minutes then got back in line went again (poor baby was shaking) and went again, not a perfect flyaway from her giant but atleast didn't hit her legs or feet. After bars they practiced their fulls and when she walked up to me after practice she was almost in tears, turns out she feels everyone has their full or almost does but her. We sat down together and I gave her a good pep talk when we got home but all I could think was why oh why did I pick today to watch the end of practice?? Its so hard when they get discouraged about getting a new skill. I will for sure be staying away from practice for the foreseeable future!

Awww. Look at it this way, you saw how she was struggling today and you were able to give her a big pep talk that she needed because you were saw it. It’s good that you saw it, despite how hard it is to see our kids struggle. Hugs to you and your daughter.

So I only watch practice once a month or so for 30 or 40 min at the end so I usually catch bars. My DD is level 5 but they're doing a ton of uptraining level 6 and even 7 right now probably because of the uncertainty of meet season. So she gets to the high bar her coach spots her on a giant, she goes for her flyaway slams her legs on the bar and then hits her forehead on the mat. She got up quickly but crying and all I wanted to do was console her which of course I couldn't. Like a champ she took a few minutes then got back in line went again (poor baby was shaking) and went again, not a perfect flyaway from her giant but atleast didn't hit her legs or feet. After bars they practiced their fulls and when she walked up to me after practice she was almost in tears, turns out she feels everyone has their full or almost does but her. We sat down together and I gave her a good pep talk when we got home but all I could think was why oh why did I pick today to watch the end of practice?? Its so hard when they get discouraged about getting a new skill. I will for sure be staying away from practice for the foreseeable future!
Good for you for saying you will stay away knowing that your daughter is struggling right now with a skill! A lot of parents would now start watching every practice making it even worse for their kid! You know gymnastics is just the hardest sport and everyone struggles with certain skills especially when they are learning new ones. Can you focus on what she does do well compared to the other girls? I know ideally the girls are NOT supposed to compare themselves to others since everyone learns at their own rate, but it is hard for them to do that when they feel like they are the only one on the team without a certain skill. I would then focus on her bravery for getting up off the floor and doing the skill again. The key will be the next time she goes to practice and you can not ask about it. If she tells you she did it than great, praise her and move on to the next subject. Otherwise talk about what she wants for dinner...always a safer subject than how was practice. I could always tell when my daughter had a good practice and when she had a bad practice so I didn't have to ask. I have learned that it is best to let your kids lead the conversation concerning practice. I tried to stick with if she needed help with homework, dinner, or what we planned for the weekend. Anything but practice.

Awww. Look at it this way, you saw how she was struggling today and you were able to give her a big pep talk that she needed because you were saw it. It’s good that you saw it, despite how hard it is to see our kids struggle. Hugs to you and your daughter.

Thats true! She tends to mostly tell me the positive so who knows she may have held it in if I hadn't seen it.

Good for you for saying you will stay away knowing that your daughter is struggling right now with a skill! A lot of parents would now start watching every practice making it even worse for their kid! You know gymnastics is just the hardest sport and everyone struggles with certain skills especially when they are learning new ones. Can you focus on what she does do well compared to the other girls? I know ideally the girls are NOT supposed to compare themselves to others since everyone learns at their own rate, but it is hard for them to do that when they feel like they are the only one on the team without a certain skill. I would then focus on her bravery for getting up off the floor and doing the skill again. The key will be the next time she goes to practice and you can not ask about it. If she tells you she did it than great, praise her and move on to the next subject. Otherwise talk about what she wants for dinner...always a safer subject than how was practice. I could always tell when my daughter had a good practice and when she had a bad practice so I didn't have to ask. I have learned that it is best to let your kids lead the conversation concerning practice. I tried to stick with if she needed help with homework, dinner, or what we planned for the weekend. Anything but practice.

That is great advice thank you! I have learned from this board to not ask much if anything about practice unless she comes to me to share. It is tough being the last one to learn a skill! She was on a roll for a while getting things quickly so I think shes feeling as if she's in a slump right now. I know it will happen for her probably when she least expects it but she's not the patient type ha!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back