Getting on team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so hi! I am 13 almost 14 years old and not yet on team. I really want to get on because gymnastics is my life; I did it when I was little but quit when my twin did. I came back at 10 and haven't left since. I've been invited to tramp team twice now and I'm thinking of doing it but I really want to be on the competitive gymnastics team.

I do know the coach because my bet friend who moved used to train with him. And he still knows me, gotta love coaches and their name remembering abilities. So any ideas on how to get into team or have him notice me? I'm thinking of tellin my rec coach that I want to be on team, what do you think?

Here's my skills-

Floor- Back walkover, front walkover, almost a front handspring, almost a back handspring, hand stand, almost a back extension roll, and then all the basics and dance.

Bars- Pullover, almost back hip circle, front hip circle, squat on.

Beam- Handstand, cartwheel, leap, tuck jump, full turn, split jump, straight jump, and I'm working on getting over my fears of missing the beam in a backwalkover.

Vault- Handstand flat back, and almost a front handspring.

Any tips to get the stuff I need?

Talk to your rec coach and see what he/she suggests. It looks like your strongest event is beam and what could be holding you back is no bhs on floor. What level does your gym start competing? Looks like with a little work on bars/floor you would be ready for L4.

I agree--talk to your rec coach and let her know you are interested in team. You will probably need to work your tumbling skills as you'll definitely need a BHS for team.

Talk to the office and see if and when your gym does team try outs. If they do not do this, I would talk to your rec coach and ask him to see what you need to be on team. With the skills you have, level 4 seems like the level you would be put in.

Thanks everyone for your help, from what I've seen the coaches talk to the team coach if there kid has potential. I'm certain once I get get my bhs, my coach will talk to team. He wants me to be in now. :) Thanks for the help!

Just let the team coach know you are interested and ask to be evaluated to see what they want. At 13 - 14 though some gyms may consider you too old to start at the lower levels and you might want to look into the Prep Op/Excel program instead of the JO program for competition.

Just let the team coach know you are interested and ask to be evaluated to see what they want. At 13 - 14 though some gyms may consider you too old to start at the lower levels and you might want to look into the Prep Op/Excel program instead of the JO program for competition.

We don't have prep op where I live; I have all the skills except the rhbs; and I'd have that but I'm scared and end up falling in my back.

Is there a pre-team you could maybe try for a bit and see with the extra hours you could get some of those skills. A lot of the ones you mentioned are the things our pre-team girls work.

We don't have prep op where I live; I have all the skills except the rhbs; and I'd have that but I'm scared and end up falling in my back.

Your gym might not have it but there must be other gyms that may - if competition is your goal it might be worth looking into at other gyms. I know TX does have a prep-op program but it may not be in your immediat area or specificly at your gym.

I think you'd do okay on level 4. My gym's teams start at level 5. I'm 13 as well:)
For the stuff you need, I'm not sure about your level. What you need for my level (8), I use grips, wrist supports for vault because yerechenko's are really hard on your wrists, but I don't think level 4's do that yet. I bring a water bottle, the basics.

Does your gym offer any tumbling classes? If so, maybe look into doing one of those to work on the bhs. I would avoid a class that is just for cheer tumbling.
if you search on here for vestibular issues, you'll see its much more than just balance and could be part of your problem.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back