Parents Getting to know each other thread...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess it's my turn...

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade?
Two kids--Danica, 9 yrs, 4th grade and Julian, 6 yrs, 1st grade

2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics?
Danica--6 months but did All-Star cheer for 3 years and Julian--6 months

3. What level is your gymnast(s)?
Danica--Level 4 and Julian--beginner boys rec classes. We are hoping that they start a developmental boys team soon. The boys classes are getting popular!

4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so?
Yes, I work. They are very flexible with parents' schedules so I am able to get off early on gym days to get them to practices/classes.

5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics?
I love that they enjoy it and that they have fun! I love the discipline and work ethic that it teaches, the friendships made and the self-confidence that gymnastics builds in the kids.

I don't like the politics of the sport at the higher elite levels.

6. Tell us about YOU!
I am a divorced single mom. I love watching gymnastics as a sport and trying to stay fit and healthy myself. I like walking, yoga, doing gymnastics when I can (still trying to find an adult class somewhere), reading, playing and hanging out with the kids and surfing the net!

Okay, I'll take a crack at it;)

I have four GIRLS:D:
DD1- 9 years old and just started 4th grade
DD2- 7 years old and is in 2nd grade
DD3- 5 years old and went off to big kid school! (kindergarten)
DD4- 3 years old and goes to a half a day pre-school (M, W, F)

DD1- Since 2 years old, so about 7 years
DD2- She started at 3, so 4 years.
DD3- Started at 2, so 3 years
DD4- Started at 2, only 1 year:)

DD1- started level 7 this season
DD2- level 5
DD3- Finally got into level 4! Can't compete until she is 6, we are counting down the days;)
DD4- Advanced pre-school, it's a step below the pre-team. I am in no rush to move her anywhere. She is only 3:cutie: But.. she did memorize the level 4 floor routine:rolleyes:

I don't work, I am always out and about doing things (okay, I go shopping every once in a while but don't tell DH) I am home with my 3 year old on Tues and Thurs for half the day.

I love that is it opened to all ages and all levels. I also love what my kids get out of the sport- friendship, teamwork, hard work, etc. And, it is something they can all do together and travel together.
I hate that it is so rushy and the cattiness of the mothers. Just let your child enjoy the time they have. No guarantee that they will become an olympian.

6. Tell us about YOU!
I am a devoted mother. I am married to DH for 9 years. We have a wonderful big ol' black lab named Luke. I love going shopping, spending time with my family, and watching my children grow and become their own.
Fun Fact! I am allergic to peanuts.. actually, not so fun fact:p

Here it is!!:)

I have 2 kids. My son is 11 and in 6th grade and my daughter wil be 10 on October 28th and is in 4th grade.

2. How many years has your child been in gymnastics?
My daughter has been in gymnastics for 3 years.

3. What level is your gymnast?
She is level 4. She was moved to level 5 last year, but due to merging gyms and all the related stress, she decided to stay on level 4 another year.

I work full time, so I do a lot of juggling;)! I live about 20 minutes from town, so I leave work at 4:00, go home & get DD to get her to gym by 4:45. I usually stay for a 1/2 hour or so, then go back home, make dinner and whatever else is calling my name, then go back to gym for the last 45 minutes or so. Sometimes I stay at the gym. She goes 3 days a week, for 3 hours each. I am never bored!!!

I love the "life skills" it has given my daughter, the close relationships she has made, and how physically strong it has made her. It has been a very positive experience for her.
Dislike - The politics and drama! Believe me, when you merge together two gyms you have lots of politics and drama! It has gotten way better though:).

6. Tell us about YOU!
My husband and I have been together for 16 years. We live out in the country, and our family likes to ride quads and spend time outdoors. My husband is a truck driver and I work for a builder. I enjoy watching my kids grow up. They are both so outgoing and fun. I was so shy as a kid, so it is cool seeing the other side:eek:!

My info...

I was very bored this morning and stumbled across this thread and thought that I'd post.

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade?I have 2 kids, dd is 12 and in 7th grade; ds is 7 and in 2nd grade.
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics?Only dd does gymnastics and she has been doing it for 8 yrs now, she started when she was 4.
3. What level is your gymnast(s)?She will be competing level 8.
4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so?Yes, I do work full-time. I am an inventory planner for an automotive company. Both dh and I work full-time. I have arranged my schedule so that I work 6:30-2:30. I can be at dd's school for 3pm. She goes to gym for 4:30 and she is there 20 hrs a week. (M, W, Th, F and Sat)
5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics?I love everything gymnastics. I did it growing up and I an exciting that dd is persuing the same interest. The one thing I hate is the cost.
6. Tell us about YOU! Well, let me see. I'm 38 and I've been married for 13 yrs. In addition to gymnastics, our family is really big into soccer. Ds plays (travel, first yr U8) and I love to watch his games. Dd is still a part of a travel team, but doesn't play that often, usually only for tournaments (she can do this because Dh is the coach, still!) As someone else said, I love reality tv and what I love even more is my Tivo, which allows me to watch my shows when I want. I am a big Disney person. For the person who asked before, I am a Dis'er and have been for quite a few yrs. I go by a different name on Dis, but I do go on the Gym thread on the Community Board. We own DVC and go to Disney at least once a yr - just came back in September and will be heading back down in December.

Thanks for letting me share! :p

Two.

Nikita, my 19 yr old son, is now studying at the Culinary Institute of America in New York to eventually become an Executive Chef. He qualified for a scholorship at Northwestern...but Noooooo he decided to be a cook. Ah Kids! ) ;D He exceled at acedemics, and competition Swimming while in HS and graduated 5th in his class of 320.

Then there is Nastia (Anastasia). Shes a bouncy 8 yr old in 3rd grade and very much daddies little princess. She's been in Gymnastics since she was 3, but became more and more interested and serious in the last two years. She's L3 now, and very much looking forward to L4. Her HC tells us that she has that spark... so we're gonna try to blow on it to see if it erupts into something. And if not... that's OK too. Acedemics is NOT Nastia's thing, irrespective of LOML's efforts. She's a hands-on girl. Loves arts and crafts, and has a great imagination. She's constantly improving her "fairy village" she has setup in our back woods. Everything is contructed from anything found in nature. We live in a fairly secluded sub-division so friends are sparse, and are normally imported from other areas on arranged 'play dates'.

6. Tell us about YOU!

I work as a Sr. Systems Architect for MasterCard. (yup, the one and only). I moved to MO back in 2002 after I was laidoff from my previous employer (Enron) in Houston TX. While I enjoy what I do, It's honestly ONLY a means to an end. I consider it something I need to do until my Powerball ticket comes in. Eventually...dammit!

To help make the ends meet, pay for college for DS, and Gymnastics for DD, I also work as a "Woodworker for hire". In general, I create custom furniture & cabinetry, and hand-mill period trim and mouldings for older homes. I limit my work to contractors, so the work is somewhat steady, and the expectations are reliable. Other then my family, spending time in my shop is MY moment of pause. Creating period funiture reproductions (specifically Federal) is my goal for retirement income. I love to study history, and read creative writings of past authors. There is something about a writer that uses adjectives well that gives me goose-bumps.

LOML is a "home maker", and mathematics tutor for HS and college-bound students, as well as home-schoolers. She holds a Masters in Engineering from St. Petersburg Polytechnic, which is the Russian equiv. of MIT here in the states. She's from Russia, (hence the Russian named of our kids),came to the U.S. in 1999, and has since become a full U.S. Citizen. in fact, yesterday was her very first election where she could partisipate. She's an enthusiastic gardener, but like any homemaker, time for getting her hands dirty is limited. She can rattle off the latin names of plants, and knows growing conditions, and soil PH requirements sometimes better then the 'experts.' Since I refer to everything simply as a "Fern" or "Begonia", I'm the muscle in the garden and she's the designer. She's also my firecest critic when it comes to quality control in Woodworking. If a piece passes her muster, it's usually pretty darn good. Little gets by her hawk eyes.

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade? 19 college 11(6th grade) 7 (1st grade) All girls

2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? 11 yo has been in gymnastics for 5 yrs, 7 for 2 years

3. What level is your gymnast(s)? 11-L5 7 L4 (almost, at our gym, they don't start team till L4)

4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? I do not work

5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? I love how strong it is making my girls, the friends they have made, and the cool trips we get to take to competitions. I hate the money we spend on gymnastics!

6. Tell us about YOU! I've been a SAHM for a year now. I love to read, crafts, and I'm on the computer a lot.

Getting to know you!

1. How many kids do you have? 2 beautiful girls
How old? Ages 4 and 8 months
What grade? K-3 and none
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? 2 years
3. What level is your gymnast(s)? Just invited to join the level 1 team
4. Do you work? I teach dance one day a week, am a seamstress specializing in Custom Competition Dance costumes, and am a full time wife and Mommy.
How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? I owned a dance studio for 7 years and taught full time. I sold the studio just before my second daughter was born. My mother took my daughter to her classes while I was working, but now I am available to be the taxi!
5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? I love watching my daughter learn new things, seeing her joy when she does a new "trick", and learning about something I never did. I dislike listening to parents complain...I guess that comes from my years owning the studio. I believe if you have a concern you should approach the coach, office manager, or owner...ugh, the gossip drives me crazy!!!!!
6. Tell us about YOU! I love doing anything with my husband and children. I enjoy sewing, dancing, reading, cooking, travel, etc...

Anyone interested in a get to you each other thread?

I have 4 kids--Sami is 15 yr and in 9th grade. Luke is 13 yrs and in 8th grade. Beth is 11 yrs and in 5th grade and Becca is 8 yrs and in 3rd grade

2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? Sami and Beth both started at 3 yrs old (Beth actually 2 weeks before her 3rd birthday). So Sami's been in it 12.5 yrs and Beth just over 8 yrs! Sami joined level 4 team (our first year of team) at 9 yrs old
and Beth joined the level 4 team at 7 yrs old

3. What level is your gymnast(s)? Sami is now a HS gymnast--went to level 7 at club. Beth is level 7 this year.

Yes, I'm an RN--I work nights in labor & delivery. Working nights works great for the family--I can sleep while they're at school and drive them around in the evenings--summers I drive around during the day and sleep evenings!

Love gymnastics--wish i had done it as a kid! Love the strong organizational skills they gain and the knowledge they can do anything. Dislike some of the coaching styles--yelling at the girls--at least yelling at mine just makes them cry, doesn't push them harder!

6. Tell us about YOU! Love to read. Am possibly the most organized person ever (okay, okay, maybe a slight exaggeration LOL!). I do the team video for the gymnastics banquet each year--love it and spend the entire year finding the perfect songs and taking video/pictures for it!

1. I have four kids. son 26, daughter 24, son 17, and my "Flipper" girl is 15.
My older son has studied karate for 19 years and is a third degree black belt in Shotokan, and was recently promoted to the rank of "Sensei". Older daughter is in nursing school and younger son does varsity wrestling for his school and is also a black belt. Flipper just flips!

2. She has been in gym since the age of 8. Started out at a recreational gymnastics club, then she surprised us all and the coach. They just couldn't teach her enough! Made the move to the wonderful world of competitive gymnastics at 11.

3. Second year level 8. Training 9.

4. I do not work outside our home. The kids keep me busy enough.

5. What I love about gym.....:)
the look on my daughters face when she nails a hard new skill..
the fact that our team is like a family and we all support each other..
seeing Flipper overcome a fear and realizing her hard work has paid off...
the excitement of meet day..
a team trophy..
a pretty new leo for Flipper..
going to gym camp and seeing the girls have fun running around the hotel...

6. Me, there is more to me than being a gym mom. Been married to my wonderful husband for 27 years.:heartbeat: I may be a west coaster at the moment but I'm a true Texan!!:texas: I love scrap-booking, crocheting, which I do for our local hospice, cooking, listening to Il Divo, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Michael Buble and my all time favorite Michael Bolton and I'm not embarrased to admit it, but I love High School Musical!!!!! Mad-crazy life-long fan of "I Love Lucy" and addicted to Food Network. Love my Tues. morning Bible study group.

That's it in a nutshell!!:D

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade? I have 3 kids.

Taylor, my oldest son, is 31. He went to Georgetown for college (his dad lived in DC) and stayed there, and works as a legislative director I believe on Capitol Hill. He has a 7 year old daughter and I wish they lived close.

Brianna, my middle daughter, is 17 and a senior in high school. She's a level 10 and planning on training with the Utah State team next year.

Madelyn, my youngest daughter, is 15 (16 in a few days) and a sophomore. She did gymnastics from the age of 3 until 6 and quit just after pre-team to focus on ballet and figure skating.

2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? Bri has been in gym for almost 15 years. Oh my... that seems so long.

3. What level is your gymnast(s)? Level 10 (which she's been competing at forever, what a great sport)

4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? I'm a (widowed) single mom so I definitely work full time. I started out as a classroom interpreter for Deaf children but got my masters and now am a special education middle school teacher and our district coordinator for our Deaf and Hard of Hearing program. To get buy when school is not in session I've been teaching ski school for about 10 years during holidays and some weekends. I'm certified to the highest level but my true level is the intermediate 7 and 8 year olds. In the summer I'm a raft guide. My husband managed his best friend's ski/bike/raft/etc. shop in town before he passed away. His friend lives with us still so our family is pretty involved with running the ski shop as well.

It's busy around here to say the least! Now that Bri can drive she brings herself to gym and school (and gives her sister rides to dance and school too) Before then though I had to cut corners by not being able to drive Bri to every practice (we live in a small mountain town and the closest gym is 45 min-1 hour away over a mountain pass), not let her train elite, limit the girls to one activity, have Bri stop club gym when she started high school for 2 years. It's tough but we've managed. Sundays are still family day.

5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics?I I did gymnastics growing up and into high school. Where I grew up figure skating for girls was also big. I was much more into playing ice hockey with my brothers, but did enjoy my time in the gym. It combined grace with power and strength, I was hooked. I think it made me the athlete I am today. That and I'm Nadia's age so watching the Olympics that year really hooked me to stay competing.

For my daughter, she's faced a lot of hardships. Gym has given her a way to focus her energy and combat everything in and out of the gym with grace and strength. I think it's helped turn her from an energetic little girl to an amazing young woman. (She'll read this and be embarassed, so Bri, it's true!)

6. Tell us about YOU! I'm an old lady who thinks she's a teenager still! I'm actually 48 and was born and raised in Quebec and moved to Colorado as a girl and haven't left. I'm an avid outdoorswoman (if you couldn't tell) and though my girls can't wait to move out and to the city, I'm perfectly content with living on a mountain the rest of my life.

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade? Two girls 7 yo in 2nd grade and 12 yo in 6th grade

2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? about 3 years not counting preschool. My oldest takes dance.

3. What level is your gymnast(s)? Jess(7) is in her first year competing - Bronze USAIGC

4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? I work full time from home as a programmer, I often can be found at the gym with my laptop working, esecially in the summer. Jess does reading homework on the bus and we eat dinner VERY early so after gymnastics it's a quick snack and straight to bed. This year has worked out much better then I expected.

5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? Well thats a loaded question that requires and deserves some thought . . . I'll get back to you on it

6. Tell us about YOU! not much to tell, Married, 2 kids, work from home. Love to make YouTube montages - that's my favorite past time these days. I take an adult tap dance class once a week.

LOL-Jessmom, I read the part about you, as taking a *lap dance class!* the first time through. Sure gave me pause...

Nice to meet you, and Welcome!

I have 4, Jacob -almost 13 - 7th grade, Caitlyn - 10 - 5th grade, Hallie - almost 9 - 3rd grade and Olivia - 6 1st grade.

Hallie has been doing gymnastics since the end of January and she just made L3 this Saturday and was invited to the team last week. :D

guess I answered this already, she's L3 and preteam/team.

I'm a stay at home mom but a nurse by profession. With 4 kids and tennis, voice lessons, ballet and gymnastics I HAVE to be a stay at home mom and it's still not easy. Kudos to you working moms and dads!!

As a gymnast myself, I hated bars. I had a long skinny build (still do, 5'8" and 120lbs) so bars were hard for me. Now, as a mom of a gymnast, the only thing that gets to me is my daughter's perfectionism. She hates not getting things right away. Gymnastics so far has been a blast otherwise....

6. Tell us about YOU!

Not much more to tell really, Happily married for 14 years, 33 years old, mother of 4, nurse, an avid scrapbooker and photographer and BUSY!!!!!!!

Hello

1. How many kids do you have? 2
How old? 11 and 16
What grade? 6 and 11

Feels like forever.

My 16 yo son since he was 3 stopped competing Mar 08 when he dislocated his knee cap then Gym hired him as a team coach - great job he loves it and he is still with the team

My 11 Daugher was born into it LOL. She started with the mommy and me at 18 mos. When she turned 2 the owner wanted her in the Advanced tot class on to pre team at 3 and started competing at 6yo

3. What level is your gymnast(s)? Daugher is now moved up to level 7 and she is so excited. Picking her music really is fun for her she has it narrowed down to her top 12 LOL. She has to submit 3 choices by the end of April hope she can figure out what she likes LOL. Right now the front runners are Rent, Babe, and Harry Potter

4. Do you work? Doesn't everyone LOL.
How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? The parents at the gym are all close and we share carpools so it makes things alot easier. Also my InLaws live just down the street and will do anything for the kids so I know someone will drop off and pick up if I can't.

I love watching my children totally enjoying themselves doing this. They get so excited when they get that new move for the first time. Its just such a joy to see them. What I don't like. How expensive this sport is! Wow if I knew then what I know now I don't know if I would have headed down this road. I also don't like the judging. Its just so subjective most of the time. I have to say I prefer sports where the first one over the finish line or the fastest wins.

6. Tell us about YOU!
A gym mom that lives at the gym LOL. Between son and daughter we are there every day all year. Looks like I'm going to have a bleacher behind for several more years. :D

Feel free to add any info that I didn't include. I am not good at making up quizzes. :D[/quote]

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade? 2 kids; ages 5 and 6; pre-school and Kdg
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? 1 1/2 years
3. What level is your gymnast(s)? son (6yo) is in a Kdg class once a week; daughter (5 on March 1) is in a Talented and Gifted class twice a week;
4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? I work outside the home and it is a challenge. Fortunately, my husband is a realtor and as much more flexibility in his schedule. He gets the kids to gymnastics and I meet them there.
5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? I feel totally clueless about all of this. Sydney is good for her age and she loves it. But I have no idea what's going on.
6. Tell us about YOU! I'm an older mother...51 yo. We have been very involved with competitive AAU basketball so have some idea how a sport can take over your life. ;) Just wondering about the best way to figure out what may be in store.

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade? 2 kids only 1 in gymnastics, 8 year old dd, year 4 at uk school
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? about 2 years
3. What level is your gymnast(s)? Has been in a kind of development team and not done any grades or levels as yet. Still trying to find out how the system works and what skills are required. From reading all your postings it would seem there is a great deal more coach/parent communication in USA or perhaps its just the gym !!
4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? I work and am able to manage the 3 training sessions at the gym so far. Not sure what might happen if this ever increases. But no job = no gym :D
5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? I love watching the sport, I have enjoyed watching my previous very shy little girl turn into a confident happy child. I like the community spirit. Not much that I dislike, wish the sport had a higher profile as the girls work so very, very hard and have to incredibly dedicated at such a young age.
6. Tell us about YOU! Not much to say about me, between working, being a mum and being a wife there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of time left over !. Like holidays and spending time with my family:)

Feel free to add any info that I didn't include. I am not good at making up quizzes. :D

OOh am very much hoping to go to the World Championships being held in London, must get on and book those tickets !!!

I have 1 daughter, 3 1/2 years old (will be 4 in October).

She did a Mommy & Me class for about 6 months when she was around 2, but didn't really start until this past April...so almost 2 months. :)

She'll be in the 2nd level preschool class starting in June.

I do some contract IT work from home, but mostly do that at night so have I my days free.

I've always loved gymnastics and was in it as a young girl, though never competitively. I think it builds confidence and is great for children. We haven't been in it that long for me to dislike much at this point. I'm sure there will come a time though..

6. Tell us about YOU!
I'm currently living in the Chattanooga area but we will be moving back to the Seattle area in the fall (we just moved here from WA last year). I like to scrapbook, though I don't have much time for that anymore. I'm a pretty outdoorsy person and love hiking and camping. I think that's about it...I'm kinda boring. :p

I know that my daughter is younger that most of your kids on here but I've enjoyed reading about everyone's children. :)

6. Tell us about YOU!

I have 4 kids, my boys are 9 and 11 and my girls are 4 and 7. After 10 am this morning they will be in Kindergarten, 3rd, 4th, and 6th...oh my goodness I can't believe it.

My daughters have been in gymnastics for about 8 weeks...lol Came from All Star Cheer. My 7 daughter started blocking on her flip flop last December and never regained her tumbling. I told her I wouldn't pay for cheer if she couldn't tumble so we gave gymnastics a try. Aside from needing the power for a back hip circle consistently, she was invited to team this week. She is now doing her flip flop by herself into the pit and with someone standing next to her on floor. Needless to say I am pretty upset that her cheer gym didn't help AT ALL.

My 4 year old was invited to their pre-team this week as well. She had her first practice last night and I was amazed at what she can do. And she loved it!

My boys play football, basketball, baseball, and one is on an All Star baseball team in addition to in house.

I don't work and juggling the kids is obviously a job in and of itself. Some nights we have to be in 4 different places at once, but we manage pretty well.

I am not sure what I dislike about gymnastics yet, I am sure once competitions start I will have a lot to say..lol I love the fact that my girls are going to gain so much strength. Being able to compete for herself is also something I can't wait to see. Being on cheer for 3 years she will now see what it's like to train hard and win or lack off and lose. She is in control of her own destiny!!

I think I wrote a big enough book for this thread, anything else you want to know just ask!!

Chris from IL

I have 4, My oldest son is 15, 10th grade, daughter will be 10 soon, 5th grade, 9 yr old boy, 4th grade and a 8 yr old boy 3rd grade.

My daughter is in her 3rd year of gymnastics

She just moved to level 5

I work full time. It isn't too hard to juggle work and gym. I get out of work at 4 and her practice is 5-8. The challenge is juggling home and gymnastics. My oldest is a swimmer and has practice 5 nights a week. Swim team is year round just like gymnastics.

I love this sport!! I am amazed every week with the progress not only of my child but all the other girls on her team.

6. Tell us about YOU!
My life really is my family. I live for my kids. I love spending time with them and going things together as a family. We spend most weekends in the summer camping and 4 wheeling. I love hiking and fishing. And I love to read.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back