giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i am an older gymnast, and i took a year off my sophomore year in high school after competing level 7. I have been back in the gym for about 3-4 months. I can do giants on the strap bar, and i can do timers on the trampoline bar, but i have to hook my thumbs! when i try not to hook my thumbs, i fly off the bar! i dont hook on anything else! my coach wants me to start doing giants with a spot next week and i feel like if i dont hook my thumbs, i will fly off! help please!

It's just a decision you're going to have to make! You can do it :) Just make up your mind and do a bunch of tap swings without hooking your thumbs to get used to it until you feel comfortable. Good luck!

you should be doing the giants in the strap bar without your thumbs. same goes for the real bar.

and why would you want to wrap your thumbs? even though you took a year off you're still a gymnast. a gymnast knows when they wrap their thumbs around the bar on giants that they're going to rip their cuticles away from their thumbnails. remember now?:)

As a mom that has watched her kids do lots of giants, I had no idea that their thumbs aren't wrapped around the bar. Learn something new and frightening every day. :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back