WAG Gym Growth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymCMLA

Proud Parent
Coaches and Owners,
I am curious about how you think about gym growth. If things are well in your program, there will be growth. More kids entering at the preteam (and even preschool) level, less attrition from preteam to team, less attrition from compulsory to optionals and more kids wanting to transfer in.
How do you look forward and decide where your growth should come from and/or how do you limit growth if you become limited in space/time/coaches?
Do you have a vision for "how big" your program ideally "should" be?
I imagine there is a worry for growing too big too fast and losing the caliber that was the catalyst for growth in the first place (for example becoming strapped for coaches and having less experienced coaches and potential for more coaching turnover).
I am seeing it is a complex situation, but it is on my mind as we approach states and there are a consistent flow of potential new parents meeting with prospective coaches and the developmental have try outs, etc
Some gyms we see at competitions are seemingly huge with 20-30 kids at each optional level and 60+ kids in the early compulsory levels. Just looking for insight into the "big picture"

Yes, gym growth is usually a sign that yiur program is working well. You will be getting more kids through the door because word of mouth is spreading your reputation and you will be keeping more kids in your program for longer.

A lot of the time you can change the way you do things and take more kids. Things like training up more coaches, having certain programs start earlier or later or finish later. Re looking at how you structure your apparatus schedule and so on. Eventually looking at a bigger venue and looking at how the apparatus are set up in your current venue to maximise space. Why not visit other large gymnastics clubs in your area and see what they do.

But more growth does not usually decrease the standard of your program it usually increases it. The more kids you have through the door the more you can pick and choose those super talented kids you want on the team. We have found as our gym has grown it has gone from choosing those athletes who are pretty good for team, to being able to choose those athletes who are naturally born for the sport. Their progress is significantly faster.

Growing your coaching team is healthy too, more experienced coaches can act as mentors for your younger coaches and this can help you to grow a big team of great coaches so coach turnover becomes less of a problem.

Of course you have to make a desicion as to what is a safe coach:gymnast ration to ensure all classes are productive to the maximum and don't go over this. I would not nessesarily just copy other gyms on this either. I have found kids progress better for us in slightly larger classes, rather than slightly smaller ones. There is just an atmosphere and an energy when there are a few more kids, that lifts everyone's energy and the kids get more done. Also a slightly larger group has provided a little more healthy competition, more kids to learn from. For us it just works.

Is your team the only focus of your gym? If so then what age do you want the. For team? Count back by how long it usually takes to get there and make sure that age group to focus on the most.

But you can grow your program in other ways by focusing on other areas too. Do you have recreational programs for older gymnasts? Do you have advanced Rex programs which allow gymnasts who are not on team to still be learning at the advanced level, like older starters or those who can't commit to the team schedule? Do you offer other gymsports like trampoline, tumbling, sports acro, aerobics, rhythmic, cheerleading, team gym etc? Do you have a great program for older kids to go into if they choose to retire from team but want to keep up the sport? Do you offer adult gymnastics classes? A lot of these programs are aimed at older gymnasts so you can hold classes later, after your team classes. Your team coaches can make some extra money coaching a short class after their own.

Thanks for your insight.
I imagine for gyms that have been around for decades, they have experienced the ebbs and flows and have worked out the details of the flux. I wonder how "younger gyms" say in the first decade of "life" navigate the fluctuations and decide their path/focus/breadth/depth etc.

Our first year on team, there were 10 girls total from Old L4, L5, and L7. The next year, we had 20. The year after that, 34... the last few years, we have been around 44-48.
We now have the local school's Jr high and high school teams at our gym too. Some of our girls compete both for the school and for us.
Jr. High season is before ours starts, so 15-20 of our girls start practice an hour earlier than the rest of the team. They also end an hour earlier (if they wanted to).
It is actually rare that all of our girls make it to practice on a given day. In fact, last night, only 3 were missing - the best attendance in the last 4 months.
We have 4 full time team coaches and several part time coaches that work with team. When we hire new coaches, they start with rec classes unless they have the experience needed to work with team. They take classes and workshops to improve their skills and coaching techniques.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back