Handspring Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

EllieRS110606

Coach
Gymnast
I have been attempting to learn a front handspring. Whenever I do it I have to put a pile of cushions or mats under me because of I don’t my back flips and doesn’t arch and then I fall to the ground. Any tips on how to prevent this? Or why it happens.

Could be a few different things.

First thought, with your talk of piling cushions, is that you're trying to self teach and you just don't know how to set it up right with the take-off. There's a fair amount of technical stuff that goes into the take-off like hurdle and lunge-lever technique that you need to create the momentum and rotation for a handspring. If you don't have a good take-off what comes after will only be worse.

The other likely thing is that you're trying to look forwards in the landing phase instead of watching your hands. That tucks your chin and makes you lose your arch. If you have a good take-off but do that you'd probably land squatty though. You might fall on your bum. If you you are landing on your back you can't be taking off right and probably just aren't ready to be learning handsprings.

I have been attempting to learn a front handspring. Whenever I do it I have to put a pile of cushions or mats under me because of I don’t my back flips and doesn’t arch and then I fall to the ground. Any tips on how to prevent this? Or why it happens.
This happened to my friend and I coached her through it! Start doing bridge ups (or back bends) all day! Get your hands as close to your ankles as possible! This will help your back get used to the action. Also start taking your back limbers and walkovers but in your bridge, walk your hands into your ankles, making the backbend really high! Hope this helped you get you your back hs!

This happened to my friend and I coached her through it! Start doing bridge ups (or back bends) all day! Get your hands as close to your ankles as possible! This will help your back get used to the action. Also start taking your back limbers and walkovers but in your bridge, walk your hands into your ankles, making the backbend really high! Hope this helped you get you your back hs!
She asked for front handspring advice. Also, be cautions with the amount of backbending skills you do. It can cause for a lot of trouble later on!

She asked for front handspring advice. Also, be cautions with the amount of backbending skills you do. It can cause for a lot of trouble later on!
If the gymnasts body is matured enough, it won't cause problems! At least that is what my friend who is a coach informed me! Also make sure to be aware of your body's limits, and make sure to warm up very thoroughly when training hs!

If the gymnasts body is matured enough, it won't cause problems! At least that is what my friend who is a coach informed me! Also make sure to be aware of your body's limits, and make sure to warm up very thoroughly when training hs!
This is incorrect. Preschool children should not do bridge at all because their body proportions make it more dangerous for them and stressful to their back, but gymnasts who are old enough to bridge should still limit numbers because there is a risk of chronic injury caused by repeated stress to the lumbar spine. It is important to have a bridge with good form for the same reason.

It is extremely important not to over-arch in BHS where the inherent stress of a highly extended lower back would be combined with impact force. One of the many ways in which BHS is completely different to back walkover and back limber is that the hands impact much further from the take-off point.

This is the absolute worst advice. Never, ever advise endless back bends. In fact if there was a skill that could be erased from gymnastics it should be extreme hyper extension of the spine.

We limit back bends, do not advise them for the preschool crowd.

Once you have had pars fractures due to back bends you will soon understand why they are such a bad idea. Plus they will absolutely not help with handsprings.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back