Homemade leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
It seems like there isn't a leo out there that fits my DD#2 quite right. I am considering making one for her myself but have no idea where to find a pattern for a gymnastics leo (I have seen ones for dance but they are not cut the same way.) Has anyone ever made a leo? Where did you get your pattern and fabric from??? It seems like it would cost next to nothing to make, so I figure I have nothing to lose by trying:D Thanks!

my mom used to make all my leos when I was little. I loved it because she could change the pattern a little so it would fit perfectly. She found patterns at our local fabricland. It was hard finding patterns for leotards but she found a bunch of short/tank style figure skating patterns that she used and just didn't make the little tutu thing. As for fabric, we used almost any fabric we could find that stretched in 2 directions. You will also need some elastic for the legs. My mom even went all out and bought rinestones to put on. Almost all of the leotards she made turned out great and I wore them for years. I liked them because it was a lot more personal than just going onto the internet and ordering one.

i want my mum to do the same for me so if you find any patterns could you let me know? thanks :)

Thanks, gymnastjess! Jalie's website has a bunch of different leo patterns. Now, on to finding fabric...dd#2 has sensitive skin and can only wear stretchy velvet type leos....Anything stiff, tight or confining and she instantly breaks out in a rash!

Let us know how you get on. I know you can buy diamantes to stick on if you want to.

There is a website called Spanexhouse.com that you can order fabric from, Make sure it is a 4 way stetch, that works the best.

Many years ago when I was still training my mom attempted to make me a leo, unfortunately her machine broke in the middle never to be repaired. You can find 4-way stretch fabric in some fabric stores, I think it's typically labeled as swimsuit fabric. It's not velvet, but a pretty soft and stretchy lycra type material.
There is also Stretch House which has all kinds of stretchy fabrics and is too much fun to look at if you like fabric shopping.
Stretch House Products Page

If you have a local fabricland or Marshalls they have lots of 4 way stretch fabric. Ask if the store has any swimwear fabric (even though you can't really make swim suits out of it because it would need lining and need chlorine safe fabric) but they usually refer to it as swimwear or active wear. You will need elastic for sure to put in the legs (don't put in the the arm and neck holes even if it says because it makes in uncomfortable). And don't forget the lining for the crotch area.
If your having trouble finding fabric look at: Spandex World Inc. spandex fabric, lycra stretch fabric
They have tons of fabric and even have a clearance section and you can get a yard for 2 dollars!! And they have a seperate section for velvet.
If you are ordering just lycra fabric, go to printed spandex and after you choose one make sure that the fabric weight is 6 Oz/Sq Yard, 170 G/Sq Meter, 303 G/Yard (this is the typical weight and I find it the most comfortable for lycra, and the stretch direction in 4 way.
I have used the Jalie pattern, but don't usually because they are a lot more work and fit very skin tight (so make a size bigger if the fabric is super stretchy)
I usually use a Kwik Sew pattern for a regular leo.
For the elastic in the leg, measure the elastic on the leg of the user to make sure it's not too loose or too tight.
Good Luck making a suit! My mom makes almost all of mine now, because they fit perfectly and I can have a slit in the back so it can breathe. I even got one with the transformers autobot logo sewn onto the front!
Have fun, just let me know if you have any questions!

I've seen stretch velvet and such in fabric stores. My mom had grand plans to make me a whole bunch of leos back in the day.

The patterns we had back then weren't full enough in the rear but that can be altered if it's still the case.

Thanks you all so much for sharing your wealth of information with me! I went to spandex house and felt like a kid in a candy store!!! I can't wait to get started on this project. DD#2 is out of the gym for a couple more weeks due to an injury so I have some time right now to play around with sewing. Maybe if I can get my act together I can have one made for her by the time she is released for training ;)

Thanks, gymnastjess! Jalie's website has a bunch of different leo patterns. Now, on to finding fabric...dd#2 has sensitive skin and can only wear stretchy velvet type leos....Anything stiff, tight or confining and she instantly breaks out in a rash!
your welcome, oh ouch a rash :(

My mom made 4 or 5 of my leos over the years too. I liked being able to pick out the fabric :) The trickiest part to get right was the elastic. Too loose and it slips around, too tight and it's not comfortable. And watch out for fabric that snags on velcro from grips.

But the best leos that she made for me were not made from a pattern bought from the store. She took my favorite super worn out but still super comfy leo and made a pattern from that leo. The two leos that she made from that pattern are the ones that always fit me best.

I have purchased both patterns ( ice skating) and 4 way stretch velvet material at JoAnn's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back