Parents IT Band Injury, Time Off, Blocks & Missing Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
My daughter has had a really, really rough year or so... (last year level 9, this year back to 8 due to "blocks")
-About a year ago, during a meet, she fell off beam during her back tuck and hit her foot on the way down. Had to take a few weeks off. Came back and was blocked on her bhs bhs beam series. Made it to regionals and did horrible! (nerves got the best of her)

-While training for regionals she pulled a hamstring and took a couple weeks off after regionals.

-Came back and started getting her beam series back, but decided that the "bar was slippery" and was blocked on bar dismount and giants. Blocked on fulls and vault on the "real" vault. Worked hard to get "blocked" skills back. Will now do everything except two giants in a row (she's getting to two giants). Blocks totally came out of the blue and she does not have an understanding coach.

-A few weeks ago her knee just started hurting and turned out to be her IT band. She's only been working on her dance, some bar skills, and some beam skills the last couple weeks. I found some IT band info online and some theories say it's due to weak hips (it also says hamstring injuries are due to weak hips and that's something she fights with constantly!). She started some hip strengthening exercises.

-Today she should have a practice meet and I'm sad for me and for her that she will miss it. I'm also worried that taking so much time off will bring the "blocks" back :( We are doing Doc Ali's web camp and have been for weeks so I hope that helps.

So, questions for you parents...
-Anyone have experience with IT band syndrome?
-Is it normal to be sad/upset about missing meets?

Thanks for listening! I don't really have anyone else around that understands!

Well for IT band syndrome do see a good sports therapist and buy a foam roller and roller that sucker daily, it really helps. Also look for IT band stretches, they do work and really diminish the pain.

Of course it is normal to be sad about missing meets, that is what most gymnast work towards and they are fun and exciting. Hopefully she can go to some to cheer on her team mates, wear he warm up and still be part of the team.

I tore my IT band at my knee when I was in college. I was playing college volleyball. My advice is to do whatever the doctor tell you to do. I did not do that, played an entire season with a small tear that turned into an almost complete tear, and to this day almost 20 years later my knee is not the same. The injury required two surgeries- a scope that did not work at all and a knee reconstruction which worked better, but was a very tough recovery.

That is interesting that it would be due to weak hips...I never considered that.

I had trouble with my IT bands as a runner--most likely from over-training for my first and only (thus far) marathon as a 19-year old. That was 17 years ago, and I still regret upping my mileage too quickly because my knees/IT bands have given me troubles since. I only know about this injury from a runner's standpoint, but I have heard about strengthening hip muscles, doing specialized stretches, and not trying to get back into activity too soon. It is terribly frustrating as an athlete to rest, but it really does take that! I hope she is able to be full-speed again soon!

-Today she should have a practice meet and I'm sad for me and for her that she will miss it. I'm also worried that taking so much time off will bring the "blocks" back :( We are doing Doc Ali's web camp and have been for weeks so I hope that helps.

If anything, it will probably help.

Another runner here with It Band injury. It happened out of the blue when I was running one day. My knee loss stability and was swelling. I changed up my workout, cut mileage and it seems to be doing well now. It took about a month.

Can I just say, good for your DD for sticking with her passion through such a rough patch. Many kids, I think, would have quit but your kid is fighting her way through her fears and injuries rather than letting them get the better of her. That, in the end, probably is indicative of the way she will face future challenges in her life. I'm sure you are very proud of her! I hope this upcoming season ends up being a successful one for her. You don't say how old she is... Is she growing a lot right now? My DD will be 13 in a few months and a level 8 and the BHS BHS seems to be her nemisis, and the giants still seem on-again-off-again. Lots of changes in her body right now are not helping, I don't think.

Thanks so much, Mary!! Yes, I am very proud!!
She is 11 and yes, she is growing like crazy!! I assume that has some to do with it. She was a little sad talking last night about the good ol' days when she wasn't scared of anything and gymnastics was a lot more fun.

It is very normal to be sad about missing meets for both gymnast and parents. This is what we prepare for year long. Your daughter progressed rather quickly through the levels and I am certain she did very well at the meets leading up to L9. L9 is a very high level and skills are difficult to master. So, sometimes when a gymnast has done so well in the lower levels and get to L9 and L10, all of a sudden they see their scores dip and they are not used to this. They may start to question their abilities. L9 is probably the most repeated level. You are also at a very competitive region and your daughter is in a state with gyms not nearly as competitive as Texas and Colorado. Your daughter is very talented. As long as she perseveres, she'll reach her goals. At 11, she may already have tools to deal with this setback. I'd give her a little room to work it out herself too.

It is very normal to be sad about missing meets for both gymnast and parents. This is what we prepare for year long. Your daughter progressed rather quickly through the levels and I am certain she did very well at the meets leading up to L9. L9 is a very high level and skills are difficult to master. So, sometimes when a gymnast has done so well in the lower levels and get to L9 and L10, all of a sudden they see their scores dip and they are not used to this. They may start to question their abilities. L9 is probably the most repeated level. You are also at a very competitive region and your daughter is in a state with gyms not nearly as competitive as Texas and Colorado. Your daughter is very talented. As long as she perseveres, she'll reach her goals. At 11, she may already have tools to deal with this setback. I'd give her a little room to work it out herself too.
Thanks so much for your kind words!

My daughter is also 11 and about to start her first level 9 competition season . She is having some mental blocks on bars, got her overshoot and is now struggling with only 3 weeks until her first meet . Part of me wishes she had repeated level 8 ( she skipped level 7) to gain some confidence .. It's been rough ! My job is just to support her and be her biggest fan but it's hard watching her so stressed and really not enjoying the sport the way she used to ...

My daughter is also 11 and about to start her first level 9 competition season . She is having some mental blocks on bars, got her overshoot and is now struggling with only 3 weeks until her first meet . Part of me wishes she had repeated level 8 ( she skipped level 7) to gain some confidence .. It's been rough ! My job is just to support her and be her biggest fan but it's hard watching her so stressed and really not enjoying the sport the way she used to ...

I agree! My dd skipped 7, too. I kick myself everyday for that. My dd is 11 won't go elite so what are our choices, level 9 and 10... We did decide this year for her to go back to level 8. She was the only one on her l9 team last year and that was HARD for her! This year she will be back with teammates and I think/hope she will have a better season.

Research Myofascial Release and Cranial Sacral therapy. Find a trained OT or PT in your area that specializes in these techniques as well as Muscle Energy, Kinesiotaping and other manual forms of therapy. It may not be weak hips. It may be twisted deep fascia. Extremely painful, nothing helps except releasing the tissue. The rollers will only take care of the topical fascia, you needs trained hands to release deep fascia. Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back