WAG JO National age groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It has changed this year. Per the 2016-17 R&R It is going to be based on actual qualifiers from state meets. The state chairs have to send the names of all qualifiers by Monday after the state meet and then the National office will determine the age groups based on that. So, numbers won't be out until all state meets are completed. Theoretically it should make for more even age groups, although I am sure there will still be quite a bit of variance.

It has changed this year. Per the 2016-17 R&R It is going to be based on actual qualifiers from state meets. The state chairs have to send the names of all qualifiers by Monday after the state meet and then the National office will determine the age groups based on that. So, numbers won't be out until all state meets are completed. Theoretically it should make for more even age groups, although I am sure there will still be quite a bit of variance.
oh interesting.. thanks for the update - hope it balances out some of the more competitive age groups of the past....

Thanks for that info -- I wasn't aware of that change. Our State meet is this weekend -- any idea of the "deadline" to have them all completed?

I thought they always waited until after state meet for the qualifer count for regionals, then they made the age groups nationally (east/west for LL9).Has that changed So each region would have their own age groups? I thought they didn't want to do this because it would mess with the National age groups. What are they planning to do for those?

Age groups are still set nationally but are on actual numbers of qualifiers to regionals. In the past the age groups were released around or before state meet and were based on either # registered as a L10 or met some score during the season or qualified to state or some other criteria...but I do remember last year the age groups were released right before our state meet.

Looks like MN and NJ aren't until next weekend 24-26. There are a few other states that weren't listed on mymeetscores so there might be more. Thinking we might not have them until the first week of April! Hopefully they can work around the outliers!

They probably can do a pretty good job basing the age groups on results from the bigger states/regions...

They should allow each region to determine age groups. Who cares if each region is a half year or year off from each other so long as they are even.

I can't imagine there is a significant number of girls who get a 34 in regular season but not at state meet. I am sure there are many, but enough to really skew the age groups? I don't know.

I like CoachP's recommendation. I agree. It wouldn't skew the age groups that bad. Or better yet, do new age groups specifically for nationals once you know who qualifies from regionals where the regions form their own age groups.

I'm really not sure how the old age groups were set- it may have been based on qualifiers to state meet- which is only a 32 or even just all L10s regardless of scores.... Also, the R&R says to report qualifiers- which for Region 8 is now a 35, I am not sure if they are going to use the 35 for all regions or a 34 for those that are still set at a 34 for regionals....

Looks like MN and NJ aren't until next weekend 24-26. There are a few other states that weren't listed on mymeetscores so there might be more. Thinking we might not have them until the first week of April! Hopefully they can work around the outliers!

NJ has 88 on the rotation sheets, surely age groups could be based on rest of the country, then a quick look at NJ DOB's?

Still no posting of age groups...I surely hope that we don't have to wait until next week, though in the long run...doesn't much matter does it!

It's very frustrating for travel planning. I teach and really don't want to ask for a sub if I don't need one, yet I would like to give my principal as much notice as possible. If USAG is going to do it this way going forward, they should require all 9/10 states to be on the same weekend.

Rules and policies say state meets should be 3 weeks before Regionals. Why are MN and NJ allowed to deviate from that?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back