WAG L9 Bonus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
I need a little bit of education on L9 bonus. I tried reading some old posts and got even more confused with the subtleties of L9. It's my understanding that the routines start at 9.7 and that all bonus comes through "connections". Can someone explain the point value for connections? I'm thinking that connected C-C skills have one bonus value (I know this is not right - but say .2) and maybe a connected B-C skill is something like .1. Can anyone dummy down what type of skills (A-B-C-D/E for C credit) need to be connected and what the value of the connection?

Even DD's a little confused on bonus for bars (she definitely knows what she needs on floor and beam and she has a vault with 10 SV). I guess what's confusing to me is that I read in a post that a pirouette on HB connected to a shootover could be up to .3 bonus (I guess depending upon whether pirouette or s/o are in HS??), but it depends. What skills are commonly to get the L9 bars bonus? And what are "forward grip" skills besides a front giant? One of the old posts mentioned that there's a deduction for no forward grip (which could also impact SV). Is there a limit on how much bonus can come from dance (like jump series)?

Thanks as always. Just when I think I'm beginning to figure things out, I realize how little I still know. I would assume L10 is similar except with more .5 bonus.

Va -

The world of Level 9 (and 10) bonus is definitely a dark one. I think it might actually be different on each event. My L9 dd did tell me once that it does all come from connections, sometimes its only dance connections though. Mine, on bars, has the following connections: "hop-half turn" right into her shootover and then later she does a beautiful (usually) cast free hip to handstand straight into a double-back dismount. These things get her to a 10 SV on bars. Here beam does have some acro connections and leap connections that somehow get her to a 10. Same on floor. I think the best answer comes from the coaches.

Good Luck.

And a related question - what constitutes a connection? I know in elite, the connections now have to be fluid - as in the arms/legs must be in place at the end if the first skill to do the next skill. There can be no extra movement in between (swing if the arms, etc.)

In L9 bonus comes from connections only. (In L10 you can also get difficulty bonus for doing D and E elements.)

Bars: C+C if both elements have flight or turn = .2
C+C if one or both elements do not have flight or turn = .1

So 1/2 pirouette to shoot over is +.2
Blind to front giant is +.1

There are tons of combos so it can be confusing, but bars is much more straight forward than beam or floor.

What if the level 9 performs backhand spring layout step out and falls. Does she start out of a 10 and then .5 for the fall. She also connects the switch back tuck?

This was an old thread of mine, and I am still figuring out bonus a year and half later. I totally missed the part about difficulty bonus for level 10 so this was a good refresher. It now makes sense why they are playing with some skills.

Quick question specifically on L9 beam bonus. I am pretty sure that there is .1 bonus for a B + C connection on acro series. Does .1 bonus also apply for B + C dance connections? DD wants to change a C C leap pass to a C B for her state meet (better consistency and execution) and her coach told her there was no bonus for the latter. (I think the C C is .2 but DD doesn't think the extra .1 is worth it). I really don't want to get in the middle of the discussion. I like that she is self advocating but don't want DD to mention it anymore if the coach is right.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back