Parents Let's talk boosters...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

From my conversations with the NCAA eligibility center, they do not care where money comes from as long it is not from a
1. College or college booster
2. Agent
3. Payment for doing the sport.

Now with the IRS, it can only be the actual expenses need to participate. This might go to NCAA as well, because anything over the actual expenses needed to participate in the sport is considered payment.
Thanks! We'll see how this season goes and then maybe alter the club in the future. I would much rather have the money I raise go towards my son's gymnastics. I might be picking your brain at a later date.

Thanks! We'll see how this season goes and then maybe alter the club in the future. I would much rather have the money I raise go towards my son's gymnastics. I might be picking your brain at a later date.

There are some tax implications with the not-for-profit. I know more about 501c3 than any other kind :)

For the record (and not in direct response to this quote), I only expect transparency from the separate, non-profit booster club. It is my understanding that it is required for non-profit organizations to report financials to their members in order to keep their exempt status.

I agree that as a for-profit business, the actual gym can charge what they want and spend their revenue as they see fit. It's not my business and they are not publicly traded!

I would also expect transparency from a booster club.

It's odd to me that parents believe they are entitled to transparency. Most gyms are a for profit business. They provide a product, coaching Susie in gymnastics and at meets. And they decide the charges for their services. If you don't like the product, do not buy it or buy a similar product some where else.

We do not have a booster club. We are at a very successful gym. Our owner/coach would not tolerate being questioned about his travel expenses or other business expenses. It is his only income and supports his family and he has worked hard for years to build up the reputation that allows him to charge for his premium services. And he would not allow his gym's name to be used to profit other people. We do have some parents who organize fundraising selling popcorn, calendars, etc. but no one is required to participate and it is not associated with the gym.

Our gym is not perfect and our coaches are not perfect. There are things I would change if I owned the gym or if I was the coach, but i am not the coach or owner.

? The question asked by op was about booster clubs, and those are (usually but apparently not always) non-profit organizations (not businesses) and run entirely on a volunteer basis, have a board, etc. Legally they HAVE to be transparent.

I do not ask my kid's gym how they compensate their coaches, pay for equipment, pay the rent, or anything else. I have no idea how profitable or non-profitable the gym is. You are right, I am not entitled to that information. I pay them a tuition and they train my kid. THAT is a clear business relationship and at our gym, it is very cut and dried and I like it that way. But I do expect the non-profit booster club that raises funds for meets and that I volunteer for and donate to, to be transparent about what is raised and how funds are spent! And I am pretty sure the IRS requires this is well. So it is not that I "believe" I am entitled to transparency- in that case,- I am entitled.

It sounds like some parents find that some gyms perhaps charge "meet fees" in amounts that strain credulity. If this is so, wouldn't that be a problem? I mean, of course they can charge what they want for tuition, but if they are calling a charge meet fees, then shouldn't the amount resemble actual costs of competing at meets?

? The question asked by op was about booster clubs, and those are (usually but apparently not always) non-profit organizations (not businesses) and run entirely on a volunteer basis, have a board, etc. Legally they HAVE to be transparent.

I do not ask my kid's gym how they compensate their coaches, pay for equipment, pay the rent, or anything else. I have no idea how profitable or non-profitable the gym is. You are right, I am not entitled to that information. I pay them a tuition and they train my kid. THAT is a clear business relationship and at our gym, it is very cut and dried and I like it that way. But I do expect the non-profit booster club that raises funds for meets and that I volunteer for and donate to, to be transparent about what is raised and how funds are spent! And I am pretty sure the IRS requires this is well. So it is not that I "believe" I am entitled to transparency- in that case,- I am entitled.

It sounds like some parents find that some gyms perhaps charge "meet fees" in amounts that strain credulity. If this is so, wouldn't that be a problem? I mean, of course they can charge what they want for tuition, but if they are calling a charge meet fees, then shouldn't the amount resemble actual costs of competing at meets?

There was a post earlier that I didn't want to single out, that stated they felt a booster club was necessary because of a lack of transparency.

I guess my answer regarding meet fees would be it depends. Our coach/owner has children and a wife that he is away from when he travels. He might charge a higher meet fee than a coach who is single man with no kids, who loves the meet weekend night life with the other coaches. One of them views travel as a benefit the other as a necessary part of their business that should be profitable.

Meet fees in some gyms without booster clubs MAY include coaches fees for those meets. They also probably include part of the meet fee for "teams" at each level that have enough to make them eligible for team awards.

In DD's region and her state I visited the states usag website. On that site fees for Meets are clearly documented. From sanction fees, the region fees, and state fees. A meet's fees are usually readily available. Should you feel your gym is charging unfairly I suggest anyone can do some Research then determine how they feel. You will have to be estimate session fees for coaches, or ask as I did. 95 a session. Just a thought is you are feeling like you have been over charged.

There was a post earlier that I didn't want to single out, that stated they felt a booster club was necessary because of a lack of transparency.
Ok, I understand.

I guess my answer regarding meet fees would be it depends. Our coach/owner has children and a wife that he is away from when he travels. He might charge a higher meet fee than a coach who is single man with no kids, who loves the meet weekend night life with the other coaches. One of them views travel as a benefit the other as a necessary part of their business that should be profitable.
I agree that meet fees depend on the coach- a more experienced/in demand coach can generally charge more for his time than a less experienced, less in demand coach. Also salaries in general depend partially on cost of living in your area. Per diem and travel expenses may vary as well depending on where one is travelling, sure. But I would disagree that whether a coach has a spouse or children or whether they enjoy travelling or not should have anything to do with how they are compensated, because that is not how it works in any other area as far as I know. My husband travels a great deal for his work and he certainly gets no more than his unmarried or childless colleagues in compensation! Such a practice would be considered discriminatory. Maybe it makes no difference to you, but it might make a difference to some coaches who are getting less for the same work due to being single.

I am glad you are happy at your gym, and if this arrangement is working well for you then no reason to worry about it, of course. How coaches are compensated for meets in your case is up to the gym owner. I am speaking in generalities.

In DD's region and her state I visited the states usag website. On that site fees for Meets are clearly documented. From sanction fees, the region fees, and state fees. A meet's fees are usually readily available. Should you feel your gym is charging unfairly I suggest anyone can do some Research then determine how they feel. You will have to be estimate session fees for coaches, or ask as I did. 95 a session. Just a thought is you are feeling like you have been over charged.
But some gyms take on the coach's costs and fee to the meet fees they charge.

But some gyms take on the coach's costs and fee to the meet fees they charge.

I'd say the average assessment "per meet" in a booster club gym in my area is between $250-300... My assessment this season is about $2,000 and we are going to 5 meets plus states and regionals.

Non booster clubs pay much less - the one I was at we only paid $40-50 per meet on top of the actual registration fee...so $150 per meet.

I'd say the average assessment "per meet" in a booster club gym in my area is between $250-300... My assessment this season is about $2,000 and we are going to 5 meets plus states and regionals.

Non booster clubs pay much less - the one I was at we only paid $40-50 per meet on top of the actual registration fee...so $150 per meet.

This is surprising. We have a booster club and including state, we have 6 meets this season and our assessments are about $850 total. But we are a small gym and all of our meets are in state and within driving distance. Maybe that is the difference?

Ok, I understand.

I agree that meet fees depend on the coach- a more experienced/in demand coach can generally charge more for his time than a less experienced, less in demand coach. Also salaries in general depend partially on cost of living in your area. Per diem and travel expenses may vary as well depending on where one is travelling, sure. But I would disagree that whether a coach has a spouse or children or whether they enjoy travelling or not should have anything to do with how they are compensated, because that is not how it works in any other area as far as I know. My husband travels a great deal for his work and he certainly gets no more than his unmarried or childless colleagues in compensation! Such a practice would be considered discriminatory. Maybe it makes no difference to you, but it might make a difference to some coaches who are getting less for the same work due to being single.

I am glad you are happy at your gym, and if this arrangement is working well for you then no reason to worry about it, of course. How coaches are compensated for meets in your case is up to the gym owner. I am speaking in generalities.

Am I happy? Sure I guess. I think I would call it content. I understand our gym owners point of view. I do get frustrated with him and disappointed from time to time. But I much prefer this situation to a booster club.

As a general FYI to anyone involved with booster club management. At a previous gym, a parent who was in serious financial hardship sued the President and vice president of the booster club for mismanagement of funds. Her brother was an attorney looking to make a splash. It was a false charge and ultimately thrown out, but the 2 individuals did have to hire attorneys to defend themselves.

I'm not a fan of booster clubs but I am amazed at the generosity of those who volunteer their time to run them. The 2 booster clubs I've seen stretch the 80/20 rule to more like 90/10. The 90% benefit from the free work of 10%.

of course but if you are traveling then determining the coaches fees will be easy. I guess I was not clear my point as anyone who is concerned they are paying too much can determine the cost for a meet and make an educated decision on how they wish to proceed.

I pay 150 a month for 9 months. Less if the home meet makes a good profit. The fee covers 6 meets plus states and regionals and national meet fees. Travel not included.

OUCH. We do 5ish meets and our fees would be around $1000 but for the booster club, so it's $425.

Wow, our gym is definitely in the minority I guess. We pay no assessment fees at all to the booster club, the booster club pays ALL our meet fees and coaches fees, up through nationals. And while the parents work at meets and do fundraisers I would say that the amount of hours that each family puts in per year on booster club activities is around 15-20 total. And the booster club posts the financial records and meeting minutes every single month (booster club meetings are open to all members, we have them once each month) so the parents can see exactly how much money was raised and where it is being spent.

Wow, our gym is definitely in the minority I guess. We pay no assessment fees at all to the booster club, the booster club pays ALL our meet fees and coaches fees, up through nationals. And while the parents work at meets and do fundraisers I would say that the amount of hours that each family puts in per year on booster club activities is around 15-20 total. And the booster club posts the financial records and meeting minutes every single month (booster club meetings are open to all members, we have them once each month) so the parents can see exactly how much money was raised and where it is being spent.

Ours is set up like this as well...are you sure we aren't at the same gym ;)

What is your monthly tuition? I pay about $350 for level 9 (20 hours) and then we pay something like $1500 for the meet fees and coaches fees. (6 meets including state).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back