Parents 13y Adhd gymnast / coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nubu888

Proud Parent
Hi, I’m after some advice and clarity … my 13y daughter is a gymnast and a coach at a local gym. She coaches and has her own lessons 4 times a week … when she wanted to coach they put her off saying she was too young and had to wait until she was in secondary school…which she did but then more and more coach where being used who were not in secondary … when this was brought to the gyms attention they said it was because of her focus and could injure someone.
They recently asked for coach’s for their day camp which of course my daughter offered to do … I have again received a reply saying they don’t think she is ready for a full day coaching due to focus … and even though she is great at coaching still needs prompting to focus.
My daughter is offering her day to help the gym out but keeps getting shut down ….. no one has approached me to say she is lacking focus before this recently ?
My daughter is becoming more aware that her adhd is stopping her from doing something she loves… it’s heartbreaking to watch especially when the rest of her friends are doing it …
Do you think they could of been more inclusive and say yes to her but she would need some breaks or get her to help with moving the equipment around etc ?

First things first, is this job or volunteering?

Second, this sort of thing might be covered under ADA which protects against discrimination due to disability. I’m not a lawyer, so I can’t say if this counts, and I don’t think it would be worth pursuing.

Third, as a coach and a gymnast with ADHD, I thrive in the gym. Work best when I’m under pressure and my brain is forced to focus. And the constant amount of things happening keeps brain stimulated, plus the nature of the job allows for plenty of movement which is great. If I find myself zoning out, I move positions. Multiple stations = constant new things.

Now, I will say that 13 is bit young for some of this. Our gym doesn’t allow anyone coaching under the age 14, which is the working age in our state.

Apologies I’m in the Uk
I pay for her lessons and she volunteers to coach .
I feel like excuses are made all the time and my daughter is picking up on it ! She absolutely loves gymnastics and where she goes but something is off and she would be so upset if she would hurt someone when supporting a move (not that she has !)
It is not artistic gymnastics it’s more performance based ! Flips, tricks, pyramids … saying that if she looses focus why put her at the bottom of the pyramid holding everyone else up ? 🤯

Do they know she has ADHD? Could you schedule a meeting with them so that you can tell them your concerns and present them with strategies that would set her up for success? It seems if it's a voluntary position they should/could accommodate her 'skill level' whether it's attributed to ADHD or just the fact that she's 13.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back