Parents Floor errors in routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_momma

Proud Parent
Our compulsory girls recently competed. They all received low scores on floor. When we compared against other gyms, we realized that our coach taught some of the routine incorrectly.

As a parent, it has caused me to lose confidence in our coach. We can't change what happened at the meet, but I'm curious how others would expect this to be handled going forward? Would you expect some type of communication to the parents? Would you raise the issue? Would you stay quiet and let the gym handle it entirely with the girls? (They are all younger than 10)

Honest answer: I wouldn't care.

Assuming we're talking about a text/choreography error, it has no effect whatsoever on long-term technical development. Once she gets out of compulsories, there will never be another choreography deduction in her entire career.

Now, having said that.... if this is a one-off mistake in choreography, it's inconsequential, but if it's part of a pattern of lack of attention to detail, then there may be other issues that do affect safety or long-term development.

*shrug* I'd talk to the coach. In and of itself, this sounds to me like a non-issue.

I suppose it would depend on what they were deducted for (completely missed skills vs small form changes) and how much they were deducted. If it totaled a 0.5 in deductions and the coaches seem to be correcting it (based on practice, input from your child), then no problem. It if was 2 points with significant skills then yeah, I would be talking with the coach about it.

ETA: was this their first meet? Asking because it seems late to be a first meet. If it's not first meet, how did they do in previous meets this season?

Last edited:
If it was caught at the first meet then corrected, I would let it go. At my DD's gym this would have been picked up in the judged in-house meet prior to the start of the season.

Our compulsory girls recently competed. They all received low scores on floor. When we compared against other gyms, we realized that our coach taught some of the routine incorrectly.

What was incorrect and what were the scores? I've made mistakes before as a coach.

Eh I would probably be annoyed for a min and then move on with my life. Our coaches haven’t had level 6s in a couple years and had them all vault the level 7 vault (missing their feet) at the first meet this season. So every level 6 from our gym got a 1.0 deduction. It was immediately fixed for the next meet. Was it frustrating for those girls / parents, absolutely, but does it hinder their long term development in the sport? Not at all. Coaches are human.

I suppose it would depend on what they were deducted for (completely missed skills vs small form changes) and how much they were deducted. If it totaled a 0.5 in deductions and the coaches seem to be correcting it (based on practice, input from your child), then no problem. It if was 2 points with significant skills then yeah, I would be talking with the coach about it.

ETA: was this their first meet? Asking because it seems late to be a first meet. If it's not first meet, how did they do in previous meets this season?
All the kids from our gym scored about 1-1.5points lower on floor than other apparatuses at this meet.

Eh I would probably be annoyed for a min and then move on with my life. Our coaches haven’t had level 6s in a couple years and had them all vault the level 7 vault (missing their feet) at the first meet this season. So every level 6 from our gym got a 1.0 deduction. It was immediately fixed for the next meet. Was it frustrating for those girls / parents, absolutely, but does it hinder their long term development in the sport? Not at all. Coaches are human.
Thanks. I'm trying to take the approach that since all the girls scored 1-1.5points lower on floor than other apparatuses that our gym won't hold them back so no real impact on long term (just lower results at this meet).

Thanks. I'm trying to take the approach that since all the girls scored 1-1.5points lower on floor than other apparatuses that our gym won't hold them back so no real impact on long term (just lower results at this meet).
Wait, why would the gym hold them back for a choreo error? Do you know for a fact that they girls scored lower because of incorrect choreo?

Wait, why would the gym hold them back for a choreo error? Do you know for a fact that they girls scored lower because of incorrect choreo?
The lower floor scores impacted the AA scores for the athletes. The AA score is one of the variables that impacts whether they can move up. Is this different from other gyms?

Yes, our girls did a section of the compulsory routine differently than all other gyms, resulting in additional deductions.

Coaches are human too and make mistakes. I’m surprised another coach didn’t pick up on it, but the fact that no one checked the routines to see if the coach had taught them correctly probably means this has not happened before.

No doubt, big lesson and learned and will probably never happen again.

Yes, our girls did a section of the compulsory routine differently than all other gyms, resulting in additional deductions.

It’s honestly really hard to state anything without knowing what they did wrong. 1.5 points would not be a simple text error… it would be omission of an actual valued skill. However… this is not something that is related to the other event scores.

Also… a low score at one meet that is the fault of the coaches will not affect moving up at the compulsory levels.

The lower floor scores impacted the AA scores for the athletes. The AA score is one of the variables that impacts whether they can move up. Is this different from other gyms?
An AA score based on one meet where the score on one event is low due to coach error would not at all be factored into move up.

For my DD's gym - AA score is of course part of the move up equation as there is a minimal score imposed by USAG but the decision is based on the individual athlete. Our gym doesn't have a separate AA score to move up. Sometimes a kid with a score on the lower end will move up, sometimes a kid with a higher AA repeats the level...just depends on individual readiness.

Reactions: JBS
@gymtwins Basically what I am getting at here is this. The RO-BHS in L3 is worth 1.0. If the coaches are messing up so bad that they are teaching the routines with actual elements missing... then that is a huge issue. Let's face it... it's all in a book and you just follow the directions at the compulsory level. The exactness of all of the movements (text errors)... not a huge deal... missing actual skills... huge deal.

Now if they are taking out something like the BHS because athletes are not ready for it yet... then that is whole other discussion.

Are they missing a part because they cannot do the skill yet or its just been forgotten or misinterpreted? Because sometimes they will compete a level that they may not quite have all the skills in if they can do the rest.

At our gym, I wouldn’t expect direct communication about something like this. Our coaches don’t generally give that kind of communication about the gymnasts routines. It is more specific to elements they individually need to improve. If I was concerned, I would ask our coach directly. I would say something like, “My gymnast noticed she didn’t do as well on floor as the other events, and I was wondering if there is anything we can be reviewing at home to help her/him improve their score”. As a new parent, I don’t know what they are looking for, so I’m not sure how I can help.” That hopefully give the coach to the opportunity to let me know what actually happened. Then you could hear how they are going to handle it, so hopefully that would allow to you have continued confidence in the coaching. If they say nothing, it is just a process, then I would start being concerned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back