WAG Level 8 Floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2gymnast

Proud Parent
So my daughter will most likely be non weight bearing on her arm for up to 8 months. It's her lead arm, so one arm skills are pretty wonky for her. She would be working to compete level 8 this year. Floor is probably the only event she can do no handed. What are some passes she could do to meet the requirements? I think she could easily have a front full and a front lay front tuck as she has been working on those skills. If I read correctly, with those two passes she would need a 3rd pass or she would need to connect a salto to her front full. Would she get a deduction if she does not tumble backward? We are not sure if she will compete, but I just want to know if this is even an option. Thanks!

I’m not sure how you can do floor totally no-handed. Wouldn’t you need a round off at the very least for the third pass?

That's what I am wondering. I can't see her needing a roundoff unless she has to go backwards like on beam (must go forward/sideways and backwards).

You could use a barani as a no handed way to set up back tumbling. Barani, whip, back layout? More like power tumbling?

Edited to add I don’t know if this is allowed in artistic, it’s just something I’ve seen in t and t

So my daughter will most likely be non weight bearing on her arm for up to 8 months. It's her lead arm, so one arm skills are pretty wonky for her. She would be working to compete level 8 this year. Floor is probably the only event she can do no handed. What are some passes she could do to meet the requirements? I think she could easily have a front full and a front lay front tuck as she has been working on those skills. If I read correctly, with those two passes she would need a 3rd pass or she would need to connect a salto to her front full. Would she get a deduction if she does not tumble backward? We are not sure if she will compete, but I just want to know if this is even an option. Thanks!

Here is beam and floor with no hands, level 10. She won floor, btw. Level 8 can be done as well. BHS are not required, neither are round-offs. She and her coach will have to be creative to come up with skills that meet the requirements but don't use her hands.

That's what I am wondering. I can't see her needing a roundoff unless she has to go backwards like on beam (must go forward/sideways and backwards).
Back tuck on beam, connected to a 1-handed bhs. She will have to practice, practice to get it, but she may surprise herself and everyone else.

My dd was no handed at level 8 and now is permanently down to 1 arm. She did a barani (she called it branny) into a full for a back pass. Now she does a 1-armed RO into a double back and also into a 1.5/punch front. On beam she worked BT/BT series, though could not compete it at level 8. In the meets she just did beam without a series. She did an eagle roll for her front skill and a BT. Took the 9.5 start. Now she does a kick-front/BT series and is working aerial/RO (again with 1 arm). I would encourage her to keep working 1-armed skills as something to build on later.

3 passes are not necessary for level 8, unless it is a gym specific requirement. 3 different saltos within the routine and one pass with 2 saltos is all that is required, so those two passes fulfill it. A third pass of front layout/front pike could be a third pass option though, and would give her all the difficulty she needed to avoid up to level composition deduction, could do that instead of flipping out of the full if it doesn't come. She would receive a 0.1 composition deduction for no back tumbling(though this could be added as a single back acro, like a back tuck, within a jump combo or choreography).

The passes you mentioned will work fine. I have a one armed gymnast due to OCD of her elbow. She did these passes and scored fine in level 8. It’s only a .1 deduction. Btw, it is my daughters lead arm too and she retaught herself one arm round offs etc on the other arm.

Will her doctor allow her to train the above mentioned skills? I would think there might be a concern on what kind of damage she could do if she mistakenly put her bad arm down if something went wrong during her tumbling pass? It might be perfectly ok, I just know we've had teammates and friends who could technically do some things (one that sticks in my head is an all-star cheerleader who had a significant broken arm and even after it was "healed" and cast was off, the doctor wouldn't let her do any stunting or tumbling because he was concerned if she fell, it couldn't take it. I believe she had an additional 4-6 weeks with those restrictions). I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Good luck to both you and your DD!

Oh we aren't sure yet. When she had OCD in her elbow she could. She has been out the past 4 months with a stress fracture in her growth plate and (unknown to us until surgery last week) 2 torn ligaments in her wrist. Up until surgery she could. But we have not had this conversation with her surgeon yet. I am sure it will be a little while before she can, but hopefully sometime during her rehab. I was just wondering if it would even be possible as an option.

Will her doctor allow her to train the above mentioned skills? I would think there might be a concern on what kind of damage she could do if she mistakenly put her bad arm down if something went wrong during her tumbling pass? It might be perfectly ok, I just know we've had teammates and friends who could technically do some things (one that sticks in my head is an all-star cheerleader who had a significant broken arm and even after it was "healed" and cast was off, the doctor wouldn't let her do any stunting or tumbling because he was concerned if she fell, it couldn't take it. I believe she had an additional 4-6 weeks with those restrictions). I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Good luck to both you and your DD!
this would be my concern.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back