Parents Love/Hate

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
I so loved the thread, you know you're kid's a gymnast when...so I wanted to start another where parents can chime in and we can share our madness.

In this case, list what you love and hate most about gymnastics.

I love that it has made my fragile daughter tougher and more resilient.

I hate how it disrupts our lives, especially family dinners and vacations.

Love her strength and resilience. I love watching her do her flippy things.:)

Hate how much time it is, especially weekends.............. Oh and how light my wallet is. :(

I hate the long hours, and the nagging worry in the back of my mind that I am letting her do something that might have negative long term effects on her body.

I love how much she enjoys being strong, and I love the resilience and confidence she draws from it.

I also love watching her train, which I know is considered a bit of a gym parent sin. I do not do it much though which is probably what makes it feel so special.

Love watching them do gymnastics. Love the life skills they are learning. Love the friends they have made.

Hate the schedule and money constraints on our family although they to be honest we've just adapted.

Love the life lessons on hard work and preservence that gymnastics teaches. There really are very few sports the require the kind of dedication and fitness that gymnastics does.

Hate how for the most part it's a sport for the very young and that slowly but surely most start to filter out as they age...usually by age 14/15 most kids either quit or cut back significantly for various reasons - but the root of it being mostly that the sport is just so much harder for fully grown girls compared to the same girls when they were little 7-10 year olds. Injuries more frequent, hours required to progress are longer, fears set in, body types just don't cooperate anymore, etc. It's just sad how so many start out with big dreams and a love for the gymnastics only to have it all thwarted by simply "growing up". I just really hate this, but it's such a reality.

I love her determination and persistence. I love
that she's found passion for something at such a young age.

I hate meet fees. And coaches fees. Clinic fees. And leotard fees, warmup fees, hotel rooms- seriously this sport is so much more expensive than I ever imagined it would be.

I love the character it is building in DD. I lover her confidence she has in herself. I love the conditioning and desire to be stronger faster stronger. The gym friends are special I have DD and her besty at the beach this very moment.

I hate the money and all the fees, but it's well spent.

This
20170809_150711_005.jpg

I love how gymnastics carries over to the rest of DD's life; hard work, dedication, time management, etc.

I hate that I feel like I can't breathe when DD competes. She just finished level 3, does this feeling eventually go away?

I love that DD has found a sport that she is passionate about and the lessons it is teaching her about resilience and determination, not to be the best but to be the best that she can be.

I hate the time commitment and fees.

I love watching them get a skill they have struggled with (perseverance paying off).
I hate how much pressure OG put on herself last season to "be the best" when she was lucky to go to practice 5-6 hours a week.

I love that right now she has awesome team mates who are genuinely good sports, and that she is getting strong, and confident. I love watching her on bars cause that was my favorite event too.

I hate trusting the process hahaha Its so much harder than it sounds and it stresses me out.

I love our coaches, I really love that my girls are doing something more productive (both when at the gym and not) than staring at a screen like many of their friends. I love how fit they are and hope they can maintain that as adults.
I hate how it interferes with family life/schedules, I hate that it takes them away from time with me (us). I hate the dent in my budget (and now i have a third DD who wants to join the team but will have to wait).

I hate watching beam during a competition. Can't do it.

I want to video this year and not sure how I will be able to point the camera at the beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back