WAG Meets - the good, bad and ugly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
We just finished out our season and DD has been to some wonderful meets and some that were not well run.

She is still new to competition, but I wanted to pass along some thoughts. I don't run meets, but have been involved in lots of fundraising and volunteer activities.

It is not necessary or even beneficial to place out 100%, even at lower levels. It is hard for the girls to stand there in 12th or 18th place our whatever last is. 50% is plenty for awards. A couple of meets we went to called the lower half up in basically a group and give them a participation ribbon. But, they didn't give places. That was easier on the little girls. They still got to salute, but they didn't know if they were 8th or 15th. The worst was the meet that, if you didn't place, had you come up to a table afterwards to get your certificate. They called out the girls' names loud enough for everyone to hear. And, if you didn't come quickly, they kept calling it out. They should have just given the certificates to the coaches. It was embarrassing for the girls.

I am sure it was a ton of work, but a couple of meets had places and scores on stickers on the back of the awards. Great idea if you can pull it off.

The little gymmies love to help with awards, but gyms should set age limits. One meet had little 6ish year olds passing out the medals. Girls were getting 2 while others were skipped entirely. It was a mess and more than one parent was complaining in the audience.

And, it is great to get preteam parents involved in meets, but be careful what jobs you give them. If they have never seen an award ceremony, they can easily make a mess of it and potentially stick in parents mind when they plan which meets to attend next year.

Oh, and at our State meet, the award announcer was calling 1st place first. All the suspense was just gone. Not nearly as good as building to first.

If you must place all the way out, have the girls just step behind the podium. Awards take forever when they all go back to sit down and then are called right back up.

Put the gymnast check in outside of the spectator area. We have had moms come to check their gymmie in while dad parks the car only to find that the volunteers won't let them past the gym doors to drop their girls because they hadn't paid yet and their DH had the cash. Frustrating for everyone, especially when girls are cutting it close due to bad weather.

At one meet, DH drove separately. The line for spectator admission was long. They wouldn't let me buy his wristband because he wasn't right there. They had to physically out it on each person. Seriously? Are you really that worried that someone might try to cheat you out of the $8? It was insulting and he almost missed DD's first event waiting in line with sessions that didn't stay for over an hour.

Find a venue that has separate rooms if you have multiple sessions. At States the last two years they had 2 sessions of the same compulsory level going on at the same time in a large auditorium. (We have almost 700 Level 3s, so they divide them into large and small gyms and you wind up only competing against similarly sized teams). Anyway, it is very hard to be in time with the music when another session has the same music going on in the same room at the same time. They are often only a couple if second different and do hard for the girls' timing.

There are lots of good gymnast gifts. Please avoid the $10 or $15 coupon to the tshirt salesperson. These wind up costing me a fortune and so much time. We love getting leos. They make great advertisements as well. If you give them out, the girls will wear them to the gym and that can keep the meet in the mind of the person planning the meets for the following year. We received cute shorts/tank sets at one meet. DD liked that. And - so did I since I was able to a avoid the tshirt guy. String bags at one meet were nice. It just gives it a nice touch to actually get something rather than that darned coupon.

We had one meet put in their schedule that they "reserved the right to start 30 minutes early if they were running ahead." First of all, what meet ever runs early? Secondly, that many everyone had to get there early, just in case. Double the people. Parents for the next session trying to find seats while the current session is just starting the 3rd rotation.

When you have teams too big for one rotation, it is nice when they start on the same equipment, just different flights. That way, two kids from the same gym are very unlikely to be competing at the same time. We like to cheer for our whole team and hate it when we can't watch them ask because one is vaulting while another is on bars (our whatever).

I'm in the UK so our meets are completely different. We call up from 6th place, and that is quite long enough to sit through.

But what this post does make me think of, is some wise advice and older lady at church passed on to me. I organised a large event and got the usual polite thank yous that you get from church, but clearly there are things that could have been done better that we didn't realise until they were happening. This lady said to me, it's been a great day and people have enjoyed themselves. Let's all sit down next week and make a note of what worked and what could be done better next year. I didn't feel got at, and it was really useful when I started planning the next one.
On the other hand, our town council organises another large annual event. There is no debrief and so 8 months later they have forgotten what niggles there were, and anyone who raises any problems is seen as a trouble maker and moaning.

Those are all GREAT points, well said. I definitely second the comment about announcing 1st place first, not exciting at all. I'll add that it's no fun when they don't say the score either.

Not all of these things are possible. Where the team starts depends on the numbers for the rest of the meet. They have to keep things even so usually it's only possible to be two flights on the same rotation if your team splits perfectly into two flight sized groups, which usually doesn't happen.

Starting one squad on vault and the other on beam (or bars and floor) is very common for coaching purposes. Around here, most gyms have a vault/bars coach and a beam/floor coach. Starting split squads in A/C or B/D usually works better for the coaches.

I know. As I was writing, the awards thing just kept popping up. Since they often take nearly as long as the competition itself, I guess it is only fair that they comprise a large chunk of the complaints, especially when they seem to be low on the priority for meet directors. While I agree that they are not as important as the competition, how they are run has a big affect on the spectator's and competitor's experience.

I could complain about judging and whether the girls have the "correct leo" but that is perception and scoring is not something within the control of meet directors.

I think my issues with meets would be with temperature of the venue, price of concessions, and rude parents ;) But I am not sure how much the meet director has to do with any of that either! LOL!

Not all of these things are possible. Where the team starts depends on the numbers for the rest of the meet. They have to keep things even so usually it's only possible to be two flights on the same rotation if your team splits perfectly into two flight sized groups, which usually doesn't happen.

Around here there are almost always 2 flights with 10-12 gymnasts per event. Even if a gym is split into a group if 12 and a group of 3, the group of is filed out with a smaller gym to get to 10-12. Sure, they can't always work it out to put those 2 groups in separate flights on the same equipment. But, I always feel so bad for those 3. In separate flights, they would have more if their team able to cheer for then, etc.

I think my issues with meets would be with temperature of the venue, price of concessions, and rude parents ;) But I am not sure how much the meet director has to do with any of that either! LOL!

I tried to focus my thoughts on things that may be under the control of meet directors. We host 2 meets a year and some of my complaints actually related to a meet we hosted. Things to keep in mind for future meets.

oic. well, maybe temperature then! IT was so hot this weekend, that the kids were all flushed during the meet. And concession prices....seriously...$3 for a bottle of water?? I know that case cost about $3 for 36 at Sam's club....

Yeah, I should include temperature. We had a meet this winter that was so hot the gymnasts were melting.

Oh, and seating. Pick venues that have decent seating. We attended one where I swear the fire Marshall would have shut it down outer he had shown up.

Honestly, I always pack food and drink, so I don't have much experience with cost of concessions.

And, if I could do something about the parents, I would market it and be wealthy beyond belief.

We have had meets where they didn't let us take anything in :(

That's terrible. Concession cost would then be a huge issue. I haven't had any problems with that at meets we have attended. There are concessions, and they are usually busy, so I assume they bring in decent money for the sponsoring gym. But, if we were forced to pay $3 for a bottle of water x4 people, I would likely tell to our HC that I wouldn't want to return to that meet.

There are so many choices for compulsory meets in our region, that I think it is important to please the families, so they can express a desire to return. We didn't go back to a meet this year that was horribly executed and the parent complaints to our HC likely influenced that.

Let's see. I only have two complaints about meets this year. #1 if you are a rental company installing meet equipment, try not to put the high uneven bar on upside down. That's not safe. 'Kthanks. #2 if you are judging L6 parallel bars, please recognize that the moy is the base routine and the moy to support or giant is the bonus, and don't award a bonus for every moy and then freakoutOMGwhatdoIdonow? the first time you see the moy to support, which may not be until the third or fourth rotation into the meet. That one happened to us TWICE.

Maybe because you ARE so new to competition, the announcing first place irritates you but I promise that you will get over it! LOL

Best meets are the ones where the line the girls up backstage, march them out with their medals already around their necks, quick name announce, salutey tootey, and get the heck off the stage.

We did our state meet like that and it was wonderful to not have to sit through 7 age groups for each events, plus all around. Screw that! Just give my kid her hardware and let us out to go eat!

Depending on the venue, the meet people may have zero control over concessions. If they are held in convention centers, a lot of the time, the contract mandates the meet uses the center concessions.

Depending on the venue, the meet people may have zero control over concessions. If they are held in convention centers, a lot of the time, the contract mandates the meet uses the center concessions.

True.most of the ones I am complaining about are run by booster clubs.

Reactions: sce
Seating is a biggie. We have been to meets that were standing room only and meets where the bleachers were frighteningly wobbly. Our sessions have ran over 5 hours, so having a moderately decent place to sit helps.

I would have a major issue if we couldn't bring in outside food/drink. They never sell anything remotely healthy at concessions and often nothing that fits my ydd's special diet. As it is, I always buy at least a water and a coffee/tea because I feel bad not buying anything.

The t-shirt/leo thing.. Last year almost every meet gave a leo- even states. It was fantastic and the girls cherish the mementos that they can wear again and again. Most meets this year was the t-shirt coupon. I am ok with that because the basic shirt was free, and that's good enough. At our states this year they had gyms decide if they wanted to opt into a shirt or not. Our gym opted not (they had a list of gyms who didn't get shirts at the booth). They also didn't have leos and didn't do participation medals, so the season ended with no momento at all for lots of girls, including my DD. That alone roped me into buying a shirt.

Scores- twice this season they flashed the wrong score for my DD (and later flashed a corrected score) and once they flashed two girls scores for each other. Often there were only scores for some girls. Even at awards we have seen the scores and age groups be incorrect. Since we usually end up waiting at least a half hour for awards to start, I would love them to get it right. It's pretty embarrassing for a girl to get called up and then get a, "never mind, wrong person" and have to step down.

The t-shirt/leo thing.. Last year almost every meet gave a leo- even states. It was fantastic and the girls cherish the mementos that they can wear again and again. Most meets this year was the t-shirt coupon. I am ok with that because the basic shirt was free, and that's good enough. At our states this year they had gyms decide if they wanted to opt into a shirt or not. Our gym opted not (they had a list of gyms who didn't get shirts at the booth). They also didn't have leos and didn't do participation medals, so the season ended with no momento at all for lots of girls, including my DD. That alone roped me into buying a shirt.

I do have to say, as a gymnast, I love meet t-shirts. The coupons are only helpful; however, if it covers the cost of a basic shirt. That way gymnasts aren't walking out with nothing if their parents can't afford the extra money that the shirt costs on top of the coupon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back