Parents Missing part of Preteam practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SophiaPD

Proud Parent
DD turns 7 in August and starts preteam (gym competes at JO Level 3) next month. Preteam is two 3-hour practices a week. Where is it on the spectrum from no-big-deal to don't-bother-asking to miss about an hour of preteam practice each week for a dance class? The class is required by her studio if she wants to stay on her dance team, so we'd have to drop dance to be there for all of both preteam practices. I understand that once a child is competing the line is "I can't, I have gymnastics," but what about preteam?

DD turns 7 in August and starts preteam (gym competes at JO Level 3) next month. Preteam is two 3-hour practices a week. Where is it on the spectrum from no-big-deal to don't-bother-asking to miss about an hour of preteam practice each week for a dance class? The class is required by her studio if she wants to stay on her dance team, so we'd have to drop dance to be there for all of both preteam practices. I understand that once a child is competing the line is "I can't, I have gymnastics," but what about preteam?

This is something you have to talk to your gym & coaches about. Some gyms would be willing to work with you but others would not...

I know personally, I used to miss 1 training session a week (on team) in order to dance. But this would definitely not be feasible at another gym, or many even a different level.

At our gym it would be frowned upon. Missing an hour every once in a while, ok but not on a regular basis. Learning how much of a commitment gymnastics is starts at pre-team.

Missing a whole hour out of a total of six could definitely be an issue. Especially if, like my dds, there is a specific schedule. For example, if my dd missed the last hour on one day, she would miss tumbling. If she missed the last hour another day, she would miss the ballet-inspired workout.
It's one thing to miss an hour or a practice here or there (although even that would not fly in some places). It would be worth asking if there is an alternative time/ group she could do make- up with. And if you're lucky they will say it's fine. Just keep in mind, if she is missing one of two weekly sessions on bars for example, she may have a hard time keeping up, which can be very discouraging at this age/ level

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask but don't be surprised if they discourage it or question your DD's commitment to gymnastics. Since she's only going 6 hours/week, an hour is a lot of time. Is the dance class an ongoing or temporary thing?

Short Stack just finished L6. Up until this level, she had no conflicts. Starting with L6, she had practice on Monday nights. She also has Faith Formation at our church on Mondays, and church comes first.

I didn't ask. I told the coaches she would be leaving practice 90 min early every Monday that she had class. I said she could stay 90 min late any other practice day to make up the time if needed. They also know that this will be the case for 7th and 8th grade.

There have been no issues (which could be because it's a church thing), and this was her most successful season.

Thank you. DD seems content to leave dance team and take a dance class elsewhere that doesn't conflict, so that's what we'll do. I had assumed she would think it was a bigger sacrifice to leave her dance studio, but she seems okay with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back