For Parents Need good practice beam and mat for home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncingCzech

Proud Parent
Aug 30, 2017
Country
USA
I know we should be careful about what is done at home but we would like a practice beam for home that is low and mimics the same length and width as a real beam and a good soft sturdy mat. Any tips on good quality and a reputable place to buy online or pretty much Amazon is safe bet? Any brands to recommend? She wants to practice handstands, balance in general, back walkovers so nothing major! I would be grateful! Thank you

Amanda

Proud Parent
Nov 19, 2016
Country
USA
I can't answer your question about where to find what you are looking for, but I would be really careful with letting her do back walkovers at home because of the stress they put on her lower back. Before chalkbucket, I didn't realize what a big deal this could be, and my daughter did quite a few (not on a beam- just on the floor). She ended up experiencing quite a bit of back pain and needing an MRI- thankfully, it was clear. But she no longer does any bwo's at home and we've been working to limit the number she does during gym- it's not worth a back injury! Hopefully, someone can help you with your main question if you decide to get a beam for home.

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Jul 12, 2016
Country
USA
we have a beam from tumbltrak that came with a panel mat. But we limit its use to cartwheels, turns, leaps. No BWO attempts, etc.

Reactions: sce and momstrong

momstrong

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Nov 11, 2016
Country
USA
We have a low beam from amazon, but it is really just for turns and leaps. Maybe a few handstands. We got a mat that slides right under it. The beam isn't as long as the one at gym though.

honu

Proud Parent
Aug 29, 2016
Country
USA
When DD first started we got a mat and fold up beam. The beam is not long and sits directly on the floor. I'd say the mat got used the most as a soft cushioned area to do some stretching or conditioning. The beam was only used for handstands or cartwheels. It has been a long time, so no idea where we purchased. Lots of gyms offer an open gym time where you can go in and use the equipment for a small fee. Maybe not as convenient as home, but you do get the advantage of access to lots of gym equipment and some supervision. Plus fun to go with a friend.

Reactions: sce
Status
Not open for further replies.