New to teaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I apologize if this should have gone in the "Coaches" section, but it wouldn't let me post there. I am going to start teaching at our gym. I will just be the basic early rec/preschool classes. I will do quite a bit of training with one of the owners and I have good understanding of basic skills. I did gymnastics as a child...not at any kind of competitive level, but definitely understand the basic skills. I'm writing to ask the opinion of other coaches as to best way to learn as much as I can before I start or at least start learning as much as I can. I noticed there are some books that I could purchase and I noticed that USAG has some classes that you do online. Do you think that the best is just to focus on what I'm taught by the owner or do you recommend one of the others in conjunction? Thanks!

I think at this age the main important thing is to be entertaining, thoughtful, and good at classroom management. I am sure you can learn enough about techniques for teaching the skills from shadowing and your own experience. I think over focusing on technique or set ways of doing things can actually detract from the purpose of beginning gymnastics. I try to be very enthusiastic when I'm teaching classes.

Shadow, Shadow, Shadow

Train with several different coaches not just one, everyone has a different style of teaching and if you see three different ways to teach a skill you will be more likley to understand it and be able to teach it. While you are shadowing and training ask lots of questions.

I agree at the level you will be coaching its all about making it fun but it is a balance, kids want fun while parents do want to see some progress.

Picking up some books on gym games might be helpful but learning to coach the skills is easier to do working hands on.

Thanks much! That's what I was figuring but I just wanted to make sure. I know, as a parent, what I kind of expected at that point and this owner that I will be shadowing is INCREDIBLE with kids, so that's what I will focus on most.

There are some coaching resources on the internet but I think they're aimed more towards team level. However you could try searching up Beth Gardner's blog on GymSmarts. She also has an account here, and a couple youtube videos, and a lot of her stuff is aimed more towards classes.

I teach all levels of classes in addition to coaching team, so I can relate to the lack of info. I did see an interesting link awhile ago from a YMCA I'm going to try to find to post. With class level skills. For me the key in teaching and something that's really been driven home teaching adaptive classes is to never assume the kids know anything. You really want to think of ways to break it down and make it easy. For example some kids won't understand a bent arm hang on the rings, and I try to give cues like "pull down on the rings" etc. Any actions you can tell them to do with their bodies in words they understand. For years I have been using the term "stomp" to teach a hurdle. I tell them to run and stomp. I see people trying to explain it and they are saying "hurdle" - that isn't helpful to 5 year old level 2s. I tell them to put their arms up after their feet hit, and I've found this to be fairly natural and produce a satisfactory board approach that's at least some sort of starting point. This is where a lot of higher level coaches will look at you like you're killing something sacred, but eh. I'm all for teaching things right the first time - in some ways. In other ways you have to be a little more flexible and creative to get to the end result. I view the point as trying to teach body awareness and control, and build strength. I'm in the interesting position of coaching all levels of class and team (including some preteam) so I have the ability to spot the kids I think will move up and work with them from the get-go on what I think is important. But this is a pretty unusual structure. In other cases, you're usually going to coach some groups and they'll move to someone else entirely for something else - in that case you'll want to communicate on what the requirements for team evaluations are, how to prepare the kids, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back