Parents Non Score Related Goals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you so much for all the replies. I really appreciate them.

After reading them all and knowing my dd's personality (definitely is prone to anxiety and putting pressure on herself!). I think just encouraging her to enjoy the experience and be a good teammate is probably the way I should go. I like the idea of having specific practice goals though- and there are a lot of good ones here! I think there is a lot of wisdom in realizing that most of our kids are trying to do all of the things they have been coached on at meets, so it's not usually lack of effort when they miss them.

I am really hoping that this meet is actually enjoyable for her. I think it is so cool that she is at the place where she can have this type of experience!

I personally will definitely breathe easier after that stupid cartwheel on beam is over- hit or miss!

I must admit my dd's goal for comps is always to try to relax and enjoy it, and we do have an emphasis on not letting one bad apparatus get in the way of the rest of the day, ie pick yourself up and carry on if it happens. And to try and remember her routines!

We only have two comps a year though - one in the spring and one in the autumn, with different skills in each, so there's only one chance to get it 'right', creating lots of stress if it becomes that important to eg stay on the beam. You can't try again next time, because next time it will be totally different skills! So the comps just have to be a 'if it happens, it happens' kind of attitude I think...you know you can do it in practise, but anything can happen on the day, as shown by the pros on tv!

Have fun & don't get hurt are always my goals for my gymmie. She has those plus usually hit all my routines. She's been struggling with growth spurts throwing off beam tumbling & bars especially. So one meet it was make her connections for bonus (like switch leap back tuck and BH BT series).

We try not to use score goals because that's not something she controls but in order to go to Regionals she needs a 34 at State so aiming for that has been a goal. Or when she struggled on bars early in the season she wanted to get a 9 & ended up with a 9.25 that meet.

Quick update- She enjoyed the meet, didn't get too stressed, stayed on the beam!, and did hit the mobility score-34.675- not super high but pretty good considering she had only been training specifically for L4 for about 2 1/2 months. (Gym does uptrain though.) Not sure what her coaches will want her to do. She definitely is missing a couple L5 skills but also has quite a bit of time. I am also fine if she continues to compete L4. She clearly has things she can improve. Just glad she had a happy meet!

Thanks again for all replies!

This was a great thread. After reading it all I decided to not discuss goals with ds for each event the way we did when he was younger. He knows his goals (such as sticking passes on floor). But to have our “I am proud of you no matter what” goal for him to go out there and show everyone how awesome he is. Confidence, to perform, and have fun. To remember that 99% of the population can’t go out there and do what our kids do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back