Off Topic not always wanting to go to practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I love gymnastics, I really do , I love the thrill of trying new skill, competing, everything. recently I have not gone to practice for a few weeks. I go twice a week, 3 to 5, Mondays and Wednesdays, and I am not on team yet. I am doing an HS team prep class to keep skills up and then I'm joining summer training for team in a month. In the past 2 weeks I have not gone to practice at all due to ankle pain, very bad back pain, funeral, and testing at school so I couldn't be picked up early. Every day I have practice I do not want to go, I would rather have friends over, or take a nap, yet once I am there, I love it. I am eventually joining Excel Gold, which practices 9 hours a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. Is this normal?

My daughter is an optional level gymnast, and she definitely goes through the same thing sometimes. Mostly, like you, it comes up when she's got a lot of stuff going on outside of gym, and she's feeling tired both mentally and physically.

Usually, once life outside of the gym simmers down, she's got more energy and feels more excited about going in to practice. Easier to get amped about practice if you're not feeling like you're spread so thin!

100% normal. It generally happens during summer in my experience as well, just due to the fact that there are more opportunities to do things. One way to help that is just by not allowing gymnastics to be your life, make sure to mentally separate home+gym. And don't be afraid to forfeit practice occasionally to do fun things you wouldn't normally... if your friend invited you to go to the lake on a practice day? Take that opportunity.

And don't be afraid to call a break. Sometimes you just need a break to come back with a refreshed sense of motivation.

I did go through a very small phase of that in early autumn, just because the weather was so great and for a few weeks I just wanted to spend time in the garden and crochet outside… I sound like an old lady but those are the things I like lol.

However in the winter, I would’ve killed for more gymnastics. I had three hours a week and practiced an hour at home everyday but it was never enough. Winter where I live gets really really cold and depressing and gymnastics is what kept me sane during the time it was literally pitch black at 5 pm.

But now that the days are really long and warm again, I wouldn’t mind missing practice at all. I think it has a lot to do with the weather in some cases so it’s probably just that. I assure you, it’s completely normal!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back