Parents Order in meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes - I have been a volunteer at a meet at a judges table and witnessed just this: judges liked a routine, took a note of the score and when another great routine was performed later in the session, they discussed which one was better and made sure the one they liked best had the higher score. The subjectivity in this sport drives me batty sometimes!
Oh no, that is NOT supposed to happen! They were not doing right, and please believe me that that is not the norm.

So in most places (by my calculations but I don't have an official tally) coaches set the order at the meet. Even when there is a preprinted rotation, it's usually assumed that coaches will still set the order otherwise. The exception is state meets in a lot of these places where the order is randomly generated because usually sessions are by age groups which means a rotation has multiple gyms. This would prevent disagreements or complaints over the order.

In some places they have a preprinted order at every meet. Interestingly enough, GA is one of the few places I know of that tends to do this. In other parts of Region 8 I've still seen coaches setting order (NC and FL). At least at some meets.

I personally don't care what order the kids go in or if we go first within our rotation but some people are really annoying about it.

So in most places (by my calculations but I don't have an official tally) coaches set the order at the meet. Even when there is a preprinted rotation, it's usually assumed that coaches will still set the order otherwise. The exception is state meets in a lot of these places where the order is randomly generated because usually sessions are by age groups which means a rotation has multiple gyms. This would prevent disagreements or complaints over the order.

In some places they have a preprinted order at every meet. Interestingly enough, GA is one of the few places I know of that tends to do this. In other parts of Region 8 I've still seen coaches setting order (NC and FL). At least at some meets.

I personally don't care what order the kids go in or if we go first within our rotation but some people are really annoying about it.

Our state also predetermines the rotation order- it is done by the software that is used- this has been every single meet in our state in the past 8 years of my dd competing. However, yes we have been to meets in FL as well as out of our region and the coach determined the order at those meets. We actually just came back from a meet in Fl and my dd was the only one from our team in her session- the coaches of the other team apparently decided my dd would go first on every event. My dd didn't mind though, she said she actually liked it that way.

Yes - I have been a volunteer at a meet at a judges table and witnessed just this: judges liked a routine, took a note of the score and when another great routine was performed later in the session, they discussed which one was better and made sure the one they liked best had the higher score. The subjectivity in this sport drives me batty sometimes!

Oh no, that is NOT supposed to happen! They were not doing right, and please believe me that that is not the norm.
I have seen something like this as well while volunteering at a Regional meet. The judge asked me to write down the score. I don't think it was ever discussed though.

Same here, my dd has been competing for 4 years now and we have ALWAYS had coaches decide the order of the gymnast. The only exception has been state where they have been computer generated. We have also been to meets in several different states and it was the exact same thing..

Same here. The girls always have cards that rotate from event to event with them and the coach decides the order.

The majority of meets we've been to, the order of girls is already printed on the rotation sheets, more times than not, in age order.
The times it's the cards that the coaches have in the meet and decide order as each event goes, drives me absolutely nuts!
The first time we didn't know order of girls, I actually missed my daughter's floor routine, because I thought they would at least stay in the same order from beam, just rotate by a girl or two to change the starting girl. (that's how we normally do it). Nope. DD went FIRST on floor, and I came back from the restroom with "OMG, I recognize that music!" and RAN in, just to see her land her leap, and pose. :(

The majority of meets we've been to, the order of girls is already printed on the rotation sheets, more times than not, in age order.
The times it's the cards that the coaches have in the meet and decide order as each event goes, drives me absolutely nuts!
The first time we didn't know order of girls, I actually missed my daughter's floor routine, because I thought they would at least stay in the same order from beam, just rotate by a girl or two to change the starting girl. (that's how we normally do it). Nope. DD went FIRST on floor, and I came back from the restroom with "OMG, I recognize that music!" and RAN in, just to see her land her leap, and pose. :(

Yeah the more I think about it, I actually wish there was a mandatory order here. We do that at states. Overall it's a lot easier except for the bar setting issue. But I'm willing to overlook that in order to wash my hands of the rest of it. Having to order the cards and figure the order out each time is a big hassle and wastes time in each rotation for the coaches to discuss esp when 2+ teams are in a flight. Just following a set rotation would go faster and remove room for people to question the fairness or the subconscious impact of judges thinking that the gymnasts might be in a particular order.

Yeah the more I think about it, I actually wish there was a mandatory order here. We do that at states. Overall it's a lot easier except for the bar setting issue. But I'm willing to overlook that in order to wash my hands of the rest of it. Having to order the cards and figure the order out each time is a big hassle and wastes time in each rotation for the coaches to discuss esp when 2+ teams are in a flight. Just following a set rotation would go faster and remove room for people to question the fairness or the subconscious impact of judges thinking that the gymnasts might be in a particular order.
I have seen them decide on the fly to change order of girls on bars, based on settings, but I have also watched them change the bar settings after each and every girl..

Same here, my dd has been competing for 4 years now and we have ALWAYS had coaches decide the order of the gymnast. The only exception has been state where they have been computer generated. We have also been to meets in several different states and it was the exact same thing..

Ditto. The only reason our state meet is different from the rest is because the girls don't rotate as teams there. They are all mixed up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back