WAG perfect split jumps in 6 months - possible or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flaviatumbles

I am assisting with some coaching at my gym.

Today, coach told me to do split jumps and leaps with our "grasshoppers" (levels are named after animals, they would be about L5 in USAG!)

Ok so, their straddle jumps on floor are ok, on trampoline they are great. But their split jumps are horrible and they can't even leap!

All of the girls have their splits and even oversplits on both legs. I would also say they are pretty strong in their hip flexors and glutes. Needle Kicks are fine, they reach 180 degrees and on stall bars they can also kick high. It's just the split jump and leap that they can't do. When I asked them, they said they have never trained them.

All girls need 180degree split jump and leap ok floor and beam when they want to move to the next stage in April.

I will just coach them until Dezember, but if they worked on their active flexibility (split jumps with ankle weights, hanging from bars etc) 3 days a week for about 30 minutes, will they have perfect split jumps and leaps in 6 months?

I love all of them and I hope they will be able to do it!

Thank you!

The dance teacher in me could cry from the very idea of split jumps with ankle weights - we don't do anything that "pulls" on the muscle like that, not even kicks, with weights because of the possible damage (this type of practice is still seen in freestyle disco sometimes and it causes long term damage). So let me be useful and suggest something:

This is exactly the movement being done in a split leap, except obviously you use both legs at once in the leap. Many, many repetitions of these are how us dancers get our legs higher in leaps. They're even better done at half speed, too, because then you can be sure they're using strength to LIFT the leg rather than just throwing it up.

You can also do unfolding extensions, developpes:

Hold the leg straight for however long, then give an extra "lift" just before you put it down.

The dance teacher in me could cry from the very idea of split jumps with ankle weights - we don't do anything that "pulls" on the muscle like that, not even kicks, with weights because of the possible damage (this type of practice is still seen in freestyle disco sometimes and it causes long term damage). So let me be useful and suggest something:

This is exactly the movement being done in a split leap, except obviously you use both legs at once in the leap. Many, many repetitions of these are how us dancers get our legs higher in leaps. They're even better done at half speed, too, because then you can be sure they're using strength to LIFT the leg rather than just throwing it up.

Hold the leg straight for however long, then give an extra "lift" just before you put it down.

Thanks for your answer!
The videos are awesome, she makes it look so easy.

But the girls are really not that bad in those bar work. They have posture and dance training twice a week and they can lift their legs up very tightly. But when it come so the jumps, they look so horrible.

Then either they're not as strong as they need to be, or they don't understand how to lift both legs high enough at once, or both.

Then either they're not as strong as they need to be, or they don't understand how to lift both legs high enough at once, or both.

I guess maybe a combination of both. Do you think it is possible that they get in in 6 months?

I am confused how they have dance training but have not done leaps?

If they really are that flexible and strong then it could be possible. Get them split jumping on trampoline. Stretch jump, split jump, stretch jump, split jump. Ideally in view of a mirror.

On floor get them leaping, over things.

Coach Meggin has some good ideas:

I am confused how they have dance training but have not done leaps?

If they really are that flexible and strong then it could be possible. Get them split jumping on trampoline. Stretch jump, split jump, stretch jump, split jump. Ideally in view of a mirror.

On floor get them leaping, over things.

Coach Meggin has some good ideas:

I know it is weird. They have done kicks on the ballet bar, beam and walking kicks. But never any jumps.
Thanks for that great video!!! Do you think it is possible in 6 months to for from horrible 120 degree jumps to 180??

Great post thanks.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back