Setting Goals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
I set goals for myself all the time. And ever since i have been doing this, i have gotten so many new skills and been really motivated. On my whiteboard upstairs, i have goals for 2009, that i wrote at the begining of the year. Of course, i would like to have everything checked off the list. (i put a check by it when i achieve the skill). I was just looking at it and was thinking to myself how far i have come since i wrote that!

I also set goals for each week, on a piece of paper by my desk. Every week since i have started that i have had at least one goal checked off. They aren't always new skills, just things i want to improve or skills i have been having fears with or been inconsistent with.

Okay...call me a nerd, but this is what i do during school: I set a list of goals for every practice! My notebook is FILLED with goal lists, and i save them all. I look back at them during class and think...wow, when i wrote this i couldn't do that skill yet!

Setting goals for myself really works with me. During practice, the first thing i think when i get a new skill is YAYY...i can check this off my list!! I just feel so confident and proud of myself when i get to check off a goal. Does anyone else do this?

i do the exact same thing literally!!! i love writing those things down, then looking back and thinking "wow i couldn't do that before? it's so easy for me to do it...how could i not have been able to do it before?" i didn't think anyone else did that! i'm not alone!!!:)

I used to do this too. I found I improved a lot more when I did this. Especially when I broke skills down and worked on getting each part right, rather than just focusing on the whole skill.

Yea, thats what i do for the weekly and daily goals, but for the year ones i put the whole skill or to move up to whatever level.

I actually have a list of goals(attainable ones-of course I have my mental one day goals lol) that are posted to my fridge! Even just getting something more consistent. But I think it is a great idea, that way you aren't wasting your time in the gym!

DD has a list on her bedroom wall with what she wants to achieve, and then writes the date next to each one when she gets it. It's divided up into 5 groups (one for each apparatus, then one for competitions), and she has 3-4 goals under each one, with space for more when she's achieved some of the ones there already.

I had to stop her putting goals that were way above her level - of course, she can have these goals, but the attainable ones need to go down first so that she can see how well she's doing rather than looking at this big skill that seems forever away and feeling disappointed because she can't get there yet.

I think it's a great way to get focused and also to see what she's achieved!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back