WAG Subluxing perineal tendon ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2littlegymmiesmom

Proud Parent
So let me preface this with I am not posting this seeking medical advice but rather interested in if anyone else's DD has dealt with this and their experiences.

ODD who is a Level 8, was diagnosed yesterday with a subluxing perineal tendon which is basically where the tendon by her ankle bone keeps popping out of place and rolling over her ankle bone. Her orthopedic said it's an overuse type injury. We think she's had it to some degree for awhile but with the more high impact skills she is now training it's gotten worse. It causes her minimal pain, albeit constant pain and then some skills (like back tuck on beam cause more pain from the impact).

Surgery is a possibility (doc said sometimes it's the only way to fix it)but right now he wants to take a wait and see approach because she's still growing and as her foot grows it could help. He said he doesn't think any pediatric doctor would recommend surgery at this point either. She's got some stretches to do to try and strengthen the muscles to help with the "popping" and she's to tape it at gym or when doing lots of walking. We have a follow up in 4 weeks. He said she can continue to do gym but should try to stay away from the skills that cause more pain for a couple of weeks.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what ended up working or not working? If anyone's DD had to be sidelined from gym for this, for how long. So no medical advice just practical advice/experiences as they relate to this injury and gym. Thanks so much!

My daughter had this. She rolled her ankle one day and tore the sheath holding the tendon in place. Hers was bad enough that she could make the tendon flip over the ankle bone by just moving her ankle the 'right' way.

It happened in early fall and we tried a boot, rest/reduced activity, taping-including a special pad taped in place and PT including iontophoresis (unsure of spelling). Nothing worked. Previous treatments were at advice of sports med doctors. We ended up consulting an ankle surgeon and he said only remedy was surgery. That was early winter. He also said she couldn't make it worse so if she could tolerate the pain she could compete on it. So, she kept it taped and went full steam ahead in practice and competed the entire season. We scheduled surgery in mid-May.

Surgery went well, he said it was relatively uncomplicated. Apparently, some times they have to make a deeper groove in the bone for the tendon to rest in. He felt her groove was deep enough so didnt do that for her. Just tacked tendon back in place.

Recovery was long. 6 weeks in a boot. Another 6 weeks where she could not rotate her foot at all-no twisting or turning of the foot/ankle. Then a slow careful retun to activity. I can't remember exactly when she was able to go back to full activity but I feel it was October. She was able to compete in January.

Surgery was a little over 2 years ago. Unfortunately, she has continued to roll that ankle and has probably torn it out of place again. Not as badly as before and she has little pain so for now we are letting it be for now. Maybe the groove should have been made deeper...

This was our experience with this diagnosis. Good luck and I am sorry you/she have to go through this.

Thanks for the reply. My daughters is the same. She can make it pop out of place just by moving her foot the right way. It's been like that for a few weeks now. We are going to give the non surgical treatment a try and see what happens. I did read up on it and it seemed like it was a long recovery time. Really hoping we don't have to go that route. That's awful that your DD had it happen again! Hoping it improves for her.

My daughter had this. She rolled her ankle one day and tore the sheath holding the tendon in place. Hers was bad enough that she could make the tendon flip over the ankle bone by just moving her ankle the 'right' way.

It happened in early fall and we tried a boot, rest/reduced activity, taping-including a special pad taped in place and PT including iontophoresis (unsure of spelling). Nothing worked. Previous treatments were at advice of sports med doctors. We ended up consulting an ankle surgeon and he said only remedy was surgery. That was early winter. He also said she couldn't make it worse so if she could tolerate the pain she could compete on it. So, she kept it taped and went full steam ahead in practice and competed the entire season. We scheduled surgery in mid-May.

Surgery went well, he said it was relatively uncomplicated. Apparently, some times they have to make a deeper groove in the bone for the tendon to rest in. He felt her groove was deep enough so didnt do that for her. Just tacked tendon back in place.

Recovery was long. 6 weeks in a boot. Another 6 weeks where she could not rotate her foot at all-no twisting or turning of the foot/ankle. Then a slow careful retun to activity. I can't remember exactly when she was able to go back to full activity but I feel it was October. She was able to compete in January.

Surgery was a little over 2 years ago. Unfortunately, she has continued to roll that ankle and has probably torn it out of place again. Not as badly as before and she has little pain so for now we are letting it be for now. Maybe the groove should have been made deeper...

This was our experience with this diagnosis. Good luck and I am sorry you/she have to go through this.
Just wondering how old your DD was when she had the surgery. Mine is 10 and her ortho is not sure about surgery for someone so young. He referred us to a pediatric ortho surgeon. We see him in 2 weeks so for now we are just having her tape it and rest it when it hurts a lot. Just mentally trying to prepare myself for the fact that surgery may be a possibility. Thanks.

Just wondering how old your DD was when she had the surgery. Mine is 10 and her ortho is not sure about surgery for someone so young. He referred us to a pediatric ortho surgeon. We see him in 2 weeks so for now we are just having her tape it and rest it when it hurts a lot. Just mentally trying to prepare myself for the fact that surgery may be a possibility. Thanks.
My daughter was 12. She was 11 at the time of the initial injury.

To manage the pain through the competition season she would do ice baths in a bucket. It seemed to help even though she didn't really like doing it.

Good luck! Rotten thing to have to deal with that's for sure!

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back