WAG Turning out of front walkovers... lower back stretches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5StarNinjaXx

Gymnast
I have a pretty flexible back, so I have been doing front walkovers on beam. I will be having a front walkover in my routine this year. Well, every once in a while I freak out half way through and turn out, it definitely has taken a toll on my back. So I was wondering if anyone has any good lower back stretches that I can do before, during, and after practices. I have talked to my mom and coach about it. My coach tried giving me some stretches but my back is so flexible that they don't do much. Thanks! :)
(And if anyone is wondering why I'm posting on what would normally be a school day/time, my school has off the rest of this week)

I have a pretty flexible back, so I have been doing front walkovers on beam. I will be having a front walkover in my routine this year. Well, every once in a while I freak out half way through and turn out, it definitely has taken a toll on my back. So I was wondering if anyone has any good lower back stretches that I can do before, during, and after practices. I have talked to my mom and coach about it. My coach tried giving me some stretches but my back is so flexible that they don't do much. Thanks! :)
(And if anyone is wondering why I'm posting on what would normally be a school day/time, my school has off the rest of this week)

I always cringe a bit when I hear people talking about being "very flexible" in their lower back when talking about walkover skills. Yes, walkovers require a bit of flexibility, but most of that flexibility should be coming from the shoulders, not from the lower back. I'd need video to be certain, but judging by the comment about your back hurting, I'd venture to guess that you are relying too much on your lower back and not enough on your shoulders to get you through the skill.

You do not want your lower back to be super flexible. Spines are not really designed to bend too far that way.

that ^^^ specifically flexing at the shoulder blades with the eyes looking back at the hands on the way up.:)

I meant that my shoulders and more upper back are flexible and sometimes I freak out and completely turn out of the skill before my foot touches the beam and when I turn out it hurts my lower back.

well then, stop freaking out and complete the skill and then you won't hurt your lower back! :)

You need to take the skill back down to a place where you don't twist out of it. A line on the floor, a floor beam, a low beam... Do about a million of them. Move from the floor line to a low beam, do a million more. floor beam to low beam. a million more. You need to have confidence in the skill. Typically, when people bail on a skill, it is because there is a lack of confidence in the movement. Perfecting it in a place that you are more comfortable with it should help this issue.

Hip circles and lying leg wipers are good for loosening up your lower back. I'm a big fan of straddle swings on rings besides just forward and straddled leg swings standing or lying (on one's back or side).

Try to not twist your body like a pretzel. That will serve the best to avoid lower back injury in your case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back