WAG Valeri Liukin investigation

• Thread starter Deleted member 26368
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw this the other day too. Idk, where they are getting information on him being the front-runner to replace Tom. Not what I am hearing, but regardless, USAG would be completely idiotic to bring him back, especially in light of these allegations. He is too close to the ranch mindset and culture, even if the allegations were not true.

The results are there, look at this past winter cup, but at what cost?

Can you say tone deaf Li Li? Especially with the invasion in Ukraine, she wants to appoint Valeri with his abhorrent past on how he treats athletes, including his own daughter? I saw a post from Lynn Raisman on Twitter saying USAG is going back to their “all about the medals” mindset because of how Tokyo turned out …. Have they learned nothing?!

I knew something was suspicious when he "retired" early several years ago during the Nassar debacle. Suddenly all that was going on was "too close" to his family. Too close meaning he had been abusing athletes all along. I am surprised it has taken this long to get out. There must be 100's of stories out there. I hope more and more athletes have the courage to talk about the abuse. We had a young WOGA athlete come to our gym years back. The mom stated, "I am not used to nice coaches". I knew they would not last long in our gym!! And they did not. I don't know why parents think ridicule and abuse is what makes a good coach. Never mind the whole weight thing with apparently everyone...

The OC Register does it again! I'm so thankful for their work on exposing the darker side of the sport.
Yes they do do a great job at that … and even if they say Valeri has changed, I would be skeptical still and would say “fine , if folks at WOGA want to participate in your redemption tour but the NTS post is off limits for the rest of your life”… none of those verbal/emotional abusers should ever be considered. They should try to talk Aimee Boorman into coming out of retirement!

This happened to show up in my news feed this evening. :confused:

This is so sad on so many levels. The mental abuse these young girls have faced is awful. I think gymnastics is more than just winning. Link one likes it’s be put down or berated. However, this is the culture that they are Accustomed to and truthfully the whole gymnastics culture needs to change. Coaches can be more encouraging in a polite but firm way.

They should try to talk Aimee Boorman into coming out of retirement!
She has apparently passed her FIG judging test. Which in my mind is makes her an excellent choice.
I actually feel that the coordination needs to be more of a judge than a coach. A coordinator with a judging background has the knowledge to inform coaches of alternate skill choices/connections to maximize their program. They are also able to assess if what the athletes are performing on paper is actually going to be paid and without serious deductions.
I have always felt the ability to guide personal coaches on routine construction/and skill choice is the most important job the coordinator can do. They should also be backed up with technical experts on apparatus to support personal coaches. There are coaches who are great technicians but seem to fail their athletes with routine construction - seems silly to not present the best routine possible to maximize each athletes talents and minimize weakness.

Yes, they could also bring in other Brevet judges to consult. Chellsie and Anna Li just passed the new version of the Brevet test as well.

Yes, they could also bring in other Brevet judges to consult. Chellsie and Anna Li just passed the new version of the Brevet test as well.
I’d take a pass on Anna Li for any USAG leadership post as there were past issues with her “coaching methods” as well… they need people without any whiff of abuse on their resumes

I’d take a pass on Anna Li for any USAG leadership post as there were past issues with her “coaching methods” as well… they need people without any whiff of abuse on their resumes
Yea, I agree with you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back