[Meet] Nastia Liukin Cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

chalkbucket

Administrator

Nastia Liukin Cup

nastia-cup.jpg

About The Nastia Liukin Cup​

On Aug. 11, 2009, USA Gymnastics and Nastia Liukin announced a partnership to create the Nastia Liukin Cup, which would provide a competitive opportunity for the country’s top Junior Olympic gymnasts. Net proceeds from the Nastia Liukin Cup go into the Nastia Liukin Fund, a charitable fund within the National Gymnastics Foundation. Supergirl sponsored the event in 2010-2011 and it was known as the Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup in those years.

The inaugural Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup took place March 5, 2010, at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass. The Nastia Liukin Cup is held prior to the Winter Cup (previously it was held the evening prior to the prestigious American Cup) and uses the event’s podium.

Gymnasts will be chosen to participate in the Cup from a series of invitationals known as the Nastia Liukin Cup Series. The Series will be promoted throughout the competitive season with individual meets each selecting one junior and one senior athlete(s) to compete in the Cup in their respective age divisions.

Gymnasts who qualify for the Nastia Liukin Cup will receive a Nastia Liukin-designed leotard and a warm-up from GK Elite; recognition during the Women’s competition at Winter Cup; and the opportunity to meet Nastia Liukin and participate in a team photo.

In the first year, net revenues from the Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup were utilized as scholarships for young gymnasts who showed ability and had a financial hardship through the Nastia Liukin Fund.

Universal Sports televised the event from 2010-2015.

Girls at DD gym were talking yesterday, they seem to believe that they slightly changed the age bands for qualification so that the juniors are now slightly older? Not sure if this is true but if so, it will make the junior qualification much more competitive than it was prior (at least last year).

I think the cut-off is still 16 but I think they moved when you turned 16 as the cut-off, because now I know girls in the gym that arent turning 16 till this summer will be in the junior category when they were planning on competing in the senior this year. Idk, I am not good with the whole age-date band thing lol

I think the cut-off is still 16 but I think they moved when you turned 16 as the cut-off, because now I know girls in the gym that arent turning 16 till this summer will be in the junior category when they were planning on competing in the senior this year. Idk, I am not good with the whole age-date band thing lol
That's what my daughter said too. She'll turn 16 in January and thought she'd be a senior, but now it says age as of 12/31/24, so she'll be competing as a 15 year old junior.

That is confusing? Age as of 12/31/24 .. so she turns 16 in Jan of 2025?
Ha, yeah. Reading it back, I did not explain that right. It's 16 and under is a junior and age is as of 12/31/24. I think it used to be 15 and younger was a junior. I'm not sure if it was actual age or age as of a certain year before. Anyway, my daughter will turn 16 in January so she would have been a senior by last years rules and will be a junior by this years rules. But yeah I totally bungled what I said. lol

NEW FOR 2024 – 2024 Nastia Liukin Cup age determination – athlete should be in age group based on age they will be as of 12/31/24

• Junior age group – age 16 and under / born 2008 or later
  • Senior age group – age 17 and older / born 2007 or prior

Ha, yeah. Reading it back, I did not explain that right. It's 16 and under is a junior and age is as of 12/31/24. I think it used to be 15 and younger was a junior. I'm not sure if it was actual age or age as of a certain year before. Anyway, my daughter will turn 16 in January so she would have been a senior by last years rules and will be a junior by this years rules. But yeah I totally bungled what I said. lol

NEW FOR 2024 – 2024 Nastia Liukin Cup age determination – athlete should be in age group based on age they will be as of 12/31/24

• Junior age group – age 16 and under / born 2008 or later
  • Senior age group – age 17 and older / born 2007 or prior
So my daughter has a later in the year birthday december.. 07... so she would be considered a senior? She just turn 16 this month...

Just FYI- there is also a large L2-10 and Xcel invitational running in conjunction with the Nastia Liukin Cup and Winter Cup in the same venue, and that invitational is the last chance to qualify to the Nastia Cup. This venue also happens to be a block from my office. If anyone is travelling to Louisville and needs advice on hotels, etc., message me. I'm happy to help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back