Wearing grips out every two months!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

My DD started training L6 this season. Throughout her entire L5, if I recall correctly, she replaced her grips only once. We bought her new grips after States championships in May. And since then, we've replaced her grips twice and she needs a new one again! She is wearing her grips out every two months. Is this normal? She uses "Just Right Grips" which was recommended by her coach. They have narrower width palm piece and her coach says it allows her more contact with the bars and also because her hands are pretty small. She is definitely doing harder tricks on the bars (i.e., her giants etc.).

How long do your DDs or the gymnasts in your gym grips last? My DD says it also only takes her only 2 days to break in her grips. I wonder if the grips are just made thinner, etc. Any information you can give on grips will be greatly appreciated. Also, is there such a thing as the best grips made? Thanks.

My Dd has had the same grips since the end of her level 4 season. That being said, she has real issues with change and will wear these grips until they fall apart. Her coaches check them all the time and they told me they are fine to continue to use. She is a L7 (2nd year) but she only did 1 meet to score out of L6 so technically she's worn them for 2.5 years.

I know I wasn't any help as my dd is on the opposite end of the spectrum for grip use. LOL

Oh, she wears hotshots

Last edited:
I'm going to guess it's the grips. My dd was using the Just Right, but her coach had her switch to 10.0 grips, which have much thicker leather. It was an adjustment but I think she's getting used to them. I doubt the grips my dd is wearing now will wear out for a couple of years at least, given how little she weighs. She is going to be competing L7 this year so doing basically the same type skills as your dd. If you don't want to switch grips, you may be stuck with replacing them every few months.

My daughter wears U.S. Glove Hotshots and we replace them ever 2-3 months (for the past 3.5 years!). They tend to either rip where the palm part meets the wrist band, or the stitching wears out in the same area. She loves them and has no interest in switching to a different brand, so I eat the cost:)

wow, that's really wierd! mine take about a week or two depending on how much bars i am doing, and they last me about 2 years a pair! Im using grips from DGS.

My gymmie easily got a year out of her 10.0 velcro grips and this was L7/8. She's in a double buckle Reisport now doing L9 bars and they are holding up quite well.

My DD uses Ten-0 as well, and they last easily a year. Her last pair would still be going strong except that the dowel ripped out of it!!! I def. would change brands.... these things cost too much to be replacing them every 2 to 3 months!

My DD started with English Bullogs as we won a free pair at a meet. They lasted for 1. 5 years. However the next thre pairs all ripped in 6 mos each.

In that time we also tried a Reisport it ripped also. fter the 3 failed English Bulldog pairs we went back to reisport double buckles. They are great going on 1 .5 years old

This does however remind me to get her a 2nd pair to wear in for the season getting emergency grips in ahurry is no fun!!

My DD did not want to change either but then was ok when she did. I do think I have seen a few company's who have smaller palmed grips but I am unsure as DD has always had large hands.

Best wishes

My DD likes the Reisport double buckle. She started on US Glove which were great for getting used to grips. After about 6 months, she was wearing out the US Gloves about every eight weeks. 10.0 are also known to last.

My DD started training L6 this season. Throughout her entire L5, if I recall correctly, she replaced her grips only once. We bought her new grips after States championships in May. And since then, we've replaced her grips twice and she needs a new one again! She is wearing her grips out every two months. Is this normal? She uses "Just Right Grips" which was recommended by her coach. They have narrower width palm piece and her coach says it allows her more contact with the bars and also because her hands are pretty small. She is definitely doing harder tricks on the bars (i.e., her giants etc.).

How long do your DDs or the gymnasts in your gym grips last? My DD says it also only takes her only 2 days to break in her grips. I wonder if the grips are just made thinner, etc. Any information you can give on grips will be greatly appreciated. Also, is there such a thing as the best grips made? Thanks.

US Glove.:)

I know several companies make a narrow version of their grips, I know Reisport for sure does, just look around. I would stop wasting all that money. We have level 9 and 10 girls at our gym that have had the same grips for a couple of years.

I had Reisport velcro while in level 6, the velcro ripped in one place but I sewed them back together and I had them for a little over a year. Then I got double buckle from Bulldog just before level 7 last year (I like my grips tight and they were always loose with velcro) and I've had the same pair ever since.

Grips from gymnasts at our gym have broken but only after a year or two, I might want to switch brands because it seems like your daughter buts so much pressure on them all the time that they just cant' take it.

grips!

i use 10.0 grips i would have to say there the best ive had mine for about 3 almost 4 years and i use them everyday. i make sure to get all the chalk off and water because that seems to make them tear!

My daughter who has been Level 10 for several years has always used the Hot Shot grips by US Glove...several years back the grip was not made with a thicker leather and I used to send a tracing of my daughter's hand and they would custom make the same grip (width wise) in a thicker leather that would last longer...in the last couple of years (probably due to the demand) US Glove now has the Hot Shot in the larger sizes (1-3) and I don't have to send a tracing....they also sell the Millenium One buckle grips that have the thinner palm piece and are like a larger size version of the Hot Shots.

I would call US Glove directly (at 1-505-856-7750...New Mexico time zone) and ask to speak to Mike who is the owner and he can problem solve the issue with you.

My daughter who has been Level 10 for several years has always used the Hot Shot grips by US Glove...several years back the grip was not made with a thicker leather and I used to send a tracing of my daughter's hand and they would custom make the same grip (width wise) in a thicker leather that would last longer...in the last couple of years (probably due to the demand) US Glove now has the Hot Shot in the larger sizes (1-3) and I don't have to send a tracing....they also sell the Millenium One buckle grips that have the thinner palm piece and are like a larger size version of the Hot Shots.

I would call US Glove directly (at 1-505-856-7750...New Mexico time zone) and ask to speak to Mike who is the owner and he can problem solve the issue with you.

Bookworm, thank you so much for your post. I was just about to buy the Hot Shot grips by US Glove since Dunno believes it to be the best grips out there but decided to read all the posts again. Sounds like I may have the same problem with US Glove as my DD did with Just Right by Gibson. But I'll give it a shot anyway. I won't bother Mike just yet but I'll keep his number. Thanks. I'll see how these grips work out. If it wears out quickly, I may try Reisport as is the general concensus in this thread or bother Mike for a solution Thanks again all.

My daughter uses Reisport double buckle, which is what they sell at our gym, as the coaches want our lives easy and they like this grip best. I can't speak to how long they last as she just got them in September! But I haven't heard other parents say they wear out easily, so guess I should find out! I also should probably find out when they recommend getting a second pair as back up! As bars are her least favorite event, I'm thinking she shouldn't be stuck wearing in new grips at the last minute!

I use 10.0 and they usually last 6-8 months, after that the velcro starts to fray, the leather gets pretty thin and I'm not comfortable swinging in them anymore. I've never had a grip break, except once when the dowel ripped off. But 10.0 gave me a new pair for free, even though the warranty was up, because they said the stitching was defective. So I'd recommend 10.0 for their customer service, and their grips are pretty good too!

Bookworm, thank you so much for your post. I was just about to buy the Hot Shot grips by US Glove since Dunno believes it to be the best grips out there but decided to read all the posts again. Sounds like I may have the same problem with US Glove as my DD did with Just Right by Gibson. But I'll give it a shot anyway. I won't bother Mike just yet but I'll keep his number. Thanks. I'll see how these grips work out. If it wears out quickly, I may try Reisport as is the general concensus in this thread or bother Mike for a solution Thanks again all.

My daughter has tried the Gibsons and the Reisports but thought they were too wide on the palms (I believe "boxing gloves" was the phrase she used !) so if your daughter is used to the thinner palm strip of a Hot Shot, that might be an issue.

I'm sure Mike wouldn't consider it a bother to call..when I first did call I asked him why my daughter was tearing through grips in 59 days (that was my first call) and he asked me a bunch of questions about skills she was training for how long and how often, level competing , size of my kid etc and came up with the solution at the time that he would get a tracing of her hand and make the grip out of a thicker leather and that did solve the problem. I always order her grips in sets of 2 so she always has a back up pair on hand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back