Off Topic Weirdest thing you've seen/heard in the waiting room at Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
I wanted to do another fun sort of off topic thread like the unpopular opinions one. Hopefully this one can stay light hearted lol. My unpopular opinion was about gym drama and hearing people talk about crazy stuff in the waiting room./parking lot. What is the weirdest thing you ever heard people share in way to public a way at gym? I'll start

-- I head someone in the parking lot on their cars bluetooth talking about someone being arrested for a very inappropriate (wouldnt want that word said around my small kids) reason just casually all loud as can be discussing sentencing and stuff. Not sure if it was a friend relative or acquaintance but still standing there with their door open sound up talking in the parking lot about it.

-- Saw someone face-timing a relative while the relative WAS driving. I seriously saw/heard the driver almost get in an accident. I mean I talk on my phone but facetime?? You gonna show them little Suzies cartwheel on the rod floor as they cause an accident 3 states away? And why is everyone on speakerphones in public places in the first place no one wants to listen to your conversations. Its annoying.

--I have heard people talk about meds they are on or should be on with a little too much open honesty.

-- I have a friend that has talked a little too loudly about the drug problems in their neighborhood and the crazy characters that are involved in those problems. Like I don't care but there are sometimes kids in the waiting room and some very judgy parents that give side eye.

--Definately heard people complain about coaches, and if the girls in the gym sit around too much during rotations and what not...and coach so and so doesnt do anything. Thats probably the least juicy gossip but you gotta be careful may everybody around you has ears

I can't think of waiting room conversations but I often have conversations with my gymnast that go something like this:

Me: How was gymnastics?
Her: Good. I'm doing hiccups.
Me: Hiccups?
Her: NO! HICCUPS! On bars.
Me: What's a hiccup?
Her: MOM! It's HICCUP! It's when you do a handstand, straddle the bar, go around, and then catch the high bar.

Right. Sure. That makes total sense. How do you pronounce it again??

I assumed I was listening to a mom costume shopping for their kids but they sure were picky about the outfit they were buying and how tightly it fit.

I haven't been in the waiting room at the gym in a long time now, but from years ago I remember a group of level 3 moms talking about how they'd looked up all of their competitors on meetscores for an upcoming meet to assess how their girls would do against them. I thought that was pretty intense. I remember one mom bragging that she always spent at least 12 hours a week in the gym watching practice and pulling up photos of her daughter from infancy through preschool to document what age she was crawling, walking, climbing, first starting at the gym, etc. and routinely sharing that info with others as if others still cared how early her child began crawling. Another mom in the early levels would go to meets and surreptitiously tape the girl she considered her daughter's biggest competition so she could compare them (meaning she would hide behind a pole or something and film this girl from another gym doing routines).

The mom of a bully at out gym would go around telling people how badly her kid was bullied....you could tell she really beleived it to like her little angel couldnt be the problem. They were on their 3rd gym I think. Luckily they didnt last long.

A few months ago.

Kid 1 “What are you going to do with that when you are training, it might die”

Kid 2 “I’ll just leave it in the locker room”

Kid 3 later coming out of the locker room “why is there a goldfish in the locker room?”
Oh my gosh! This is hilarious!!

Way too many to list, but I wouldn't say most of them are "fun" -- many are variants of a parent saying "I'm going to (do this bad thing to you), because you didn't (do something at gym)."
I've heard of kids getting grounded because they wouldn't do a BHS on the beam. I've heard of kids not getting a snack, or going to bed without dinner, for not practicing hard enough.

The thing that always gets me is when the, generally extremely out of shape, parents criticize their kids for looking sloppy and/or struggling on skills. I remember when my daughter's team was learning their kips. There was a lot of that going on and I turned to one of the biggest offenders and just said, "do you KNOW how hard it is do what they're doing? You should give it a try."

I've always tried my best to do the skills my daughter does in gym, and some of them are shockingly hard -- even for a fit man. Pike rope climb? Damn hard. Straight leg lift to bar? Damn hard. Kip? I could barely get to chest height after training drills with my daughter all summer. Press handstand? Even the beginning compression shape is hard to hold.

Even a mediocre USAG DP gymnast is capable of doing amazing things with their bodies. I wish that was emphasized more.

Well, to be fair I'm better at my job in the morning than in the afternoon!
Lol same,

My daughter splits her time between the early group and evening group - she HATES going to evening group. The reason early group progresses faster is 1) Coaches have fewer kids to focus on. Resources including equipment doesn't need to be shared between more levels. 2) There aren't extra kids like rec kids and afterschool kids there, the gym is quiet and 3) She isn't tired!!!

Today is a late day, and she hates vaulting at 8:30 PM after a full day at school and a full practice. She just wants to sleep at that point.

Literally not being tired makes the difference between a day full of hit routines and upskilling because skills are complete and a day spent falling. Can't upskill if you're falling on your main skills.

Lol same,

My daughter splits her time between the early group and evening group - she HATES going to evening group. The reason early group progresses faster is 1) Coaches have fewer kids to focus on. Resources including equipment doesn't need to be shared between more levels. 2) There aren't extra kids like rec kids and afterschool kids there, the gym is quiet and 3) She isn't tired!!!

Today is a late day, and she hates vaulting at 8:30 PM after a full day at school and a full practice. She just wants to sleep at that point.

Literally not being tired makes the difference between a day full of hit routines and upskilling because skills are complete and a day spent falling. Can't upskill if you're falling on your main skills.
Unfortunately, my daughter's gym doesn't offer a day program, so it's late night only -- since she home schools, she and her mom have just shifted to getting up late and taking it easy on the four days she has practice.

Unfortunately, my daughter's gym doesn't offer a day program, so it's late night only -- since she home schools, she and her mom have just shifted to getting up late and taking it easy on the four days she has practice.
We've only got 2 coaches for levels 3-10, so level 8-10 has to come early, 6-7 does evening group with the 3s and 4s. Some 7s do early practice or split days like mine does, her school won't let her leave elementary early daily

Not being tired is probably the biggest advantage so home schooling and waking up late is a great plus for your daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back