What type of school does your gymnast attend???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom14 said it perfectly....each family does what is right for each child. End of story.

I wasn't bashing public school at all. Mack, I think you are exceptionally fortunate to attend a great public school because unfortunately, there are a lot of bad ones. The public school choices in my area just don't blow me away in terms of academic expectations and personal experiences. They seem to be babysitting factories and I won't apologize for wanting better than that for my kids.

My husband and I talked about potentially homeschooling when our first was a preschooler. In the end, neither of us wanted to leave our careers at that time. I took several years off when my children were first born but in the end, the right decision for our family was for me to return to my practice because it is what makes me an effective parent.

I'll admit, there are days when i envy those of you who home school. Sometimes I miss my kids fiercely and wish that I had as much time with them and the opportunity and pleasure to watch them learn and grow like homeschooling parents get to do.

For us, the best choice was the private school where they are enrolled. I'm thankful that my husband and I have made choices that allow us to meet the tuition requirements and also thankful that we both feel like the kids truly get what we pay for.

I know that I would really like to hear from the online school folks. We briefly looked into it but didn't really see anything that looked promising.

I know that I would really like to hear from the online school folks. We briefly looked into it but didn't really see anything that looked promising.

We have looked into it and may do it in the future. Problem is that some of them cost as much as private school. And one of the reasons we home school is to tailor the materials to their learning, which you can't do with the online options.

We have friends who tried an online public school. It was the worst of both worlds. The amount of busy work was so high that they ended up stuck at home most of the day and were less able to attend homeschool social events and field trips. The pressure to get such-and-such done by such-and-such a date was high, and there was no room for flexibility or changing the curriculum to meet the needs of each child.

We have friends who tried an online public school. It was the worst of both worlds. The amount of busy work was so high that they ended up stuck at home most of the day and were less able to attend homeschool social events and field trips. The pressure to get such-and-such done by such-and-such a date was high, and there was no room for flexibility or changing the curriculum to meet the needs of each child.

That's exactly my concern.

Many colleges make this mistake with their online courses.

I put Other because in September she will be starting at a new school in the High Performance Athlete program. She will attend 3 hours per day and train in the afternoons.

I put Other because in September she will be starting at a new school in the High Performance Athlete program. She will attend 3 hours per day and train in the afternoons.

I wish we had more of these... best of both worlds. There is one charter school in our area that offers this but it only hase around 50 slots total for grades k-8. Nearly impossible to get in unless you are a sibling or a teacher's child. Its unfortunate there are not more like these...

That type of program would be great. I have a feeling that although most Elite gymnasts say that they are attending public school, they are in fact doing a modified schedule that allows them to attend part time and be homeschooled/on line schooled for the remaining subjects. Based on our experience with my DD training pre-elite, there is no way to get a complete school day in and still do the number of hours of practice required. And that doesn't even take into consideration the homework factor.

That type of program would be great. I have a feeling that although most Elite gymnasts say that they are attending public school, they are in fact doing a modified schedule that allows them to attend part time and be homeschooled/on line schooled for the remaining subjects. Based on our experience with my DD training pre-elite, there is no way to get a complete school day in and still do the number of hours of practice required. And that doesn't even take into consideration the homework factor.

this is true. Many of the elites readily admit they have modified schedules and I'm thinking they school during the summer to make up classes (either online or college). They likely are doing bare minimum for fulltime and are skipping PE and study halls as well. I'm not saying they aren't getting any benefit from it. They are still in classes with their friends and feel like they lead a "semi-normal" life while in school but that's about it. They don't hang out after school, go to parties or dances (maybe the big dances like Prom, but not the regular ones).

I homeschool but I did just do one online class this year.
I did Spanish online, it was my most demanding class of highschool. Like another poster said, trying to get everything in by certain dates and times and the fact that most of the information you need is online, so you can't even do it in the car or somewhere without internet.

I could not imagine doing online class for all of highschool classes....I'd rather just go to highschool.

I did not start homeschool because of gymnastics, and still wouldn't JUST for that reason.
I started homeschooling the year I had cancer and my mom (Who has her degree to teach) ended up thinking, "Why am I teaching other kids when I could be teaching my own"
So we still homeschool, we were all given the choice to go to highschool though.
But it has opened up so many opportunities and we still have both homeschooled and public/private school friends.
We also have dances and a big prom for homeschoolers in the area.

DD will have to travel about 30-45 minutes to this school. It is in a public school but our school district is one of the only in Ontario that doesn't have an HP program. The program sounds so great, we will see how she handles it. The class size is 8-10 students. The phys. ed. mark is given by the coaches. There is no recess. Music and art are reduced to one class per week. There is on average an hour of homework per day. And then it is another 45 minutes from there to the gym, that is shared by the parents of the 4 gymmies that attend the school.

I did not start homeschool because of gymnastics, and still wouldn't JUST for that reason.
I started homeschooling the year I had cancer and my mom (Who has her degree to teach) ended up thinking, "Why am I teaching other kids when I could be teaching my own"

A cancer survivor, huh? Good for you, kid!

And I love what your mom said!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back