Where did you/yours start?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

krisnkids

Proud Parent
I am wondering if you or your gymmie started out T&T or trasitioned there from Artistic?

A little background. My 13 yo gymmie started at 6 on pre-team, competed at 7&8 at level 4 artistic, lost her coach/gym/security, went to a new gym and had a bad experience with the new coach and ended up quitting the sport. 4 years later she decided to go back and is successful competing at level 4 again, but does not want to continue. Long hours, 9 hours a week etc, growing... There was the begining of T&T at her second gym where she had a problem with the coach, but other than that she has not been exposed to it.

Any suggestions on seeing if she would be interested in T&T? If you did transition from Artistic, what did you like/dislike?

My daughter started out in artistic but did not care for beam at all and that pretty much prevented her from doing much with it. She found her way to T&T and loves it as she was an especially strong tumbler and she was able to start out at a higher level on tumbling than the other two events (although now she has caught up and is the same level on everything). A lot of kids come over from artistic or even start out older and do great. There are some differences, such as how you kick out of a skill.

We have a lot of kids who transitioned over, as once upon a time we had both artistic & T&T programs. We have a few who started out doing both & then transitioned over at the end of compulsory artistic levels, when the hours were too much & T&T was just more fun, we have a couple of older girls who switched when optionals got scary, a couple who switched when one event or another got limiting...

Kids who do well in artistic can usually do pretty well in T&T...as long as they aren't afraid to bounce! We do have a few differences (much longer tumbling passes, if you stop in the middle of your routine it's done, kickouts) but nothing major or insurmountable. And our meets are so much fun.

Oh yeah! Here is the Provincial Championships last year. Big deal, very serious competition, right? Determining the top T & T athletes in Ontario. High pressure, high stakes.

This is an example of how very serious it is. This is a group of judges in between flights.

http://youtu.be/K6soqp7_xRU

I can't see it. I hope they're having as much fun as I have judging.
...I might have said to a few flights "may the odds be ever in your favor" last year...

Lol ... Could you imagine if the artistic judges did that ... I wonder if people would love it or hate it?

Bahahahaha!

I cannot even imagine artistic judges doing that.

I can imagine me doing that. (....instigating that...)

Found this thread interesting.

I've often thought of doing TNT as bars holds me way back in artistic. But I'm terribly afraid of flipping on a trampoline. I can do tumble track, can tumble and do double mini. But do everything from a standing position on the tramp, I'm so afraid of actually bouncing and flipping. So I'd have to get over that one!!
But I am a fan of how you can be at different levels on each event.

I started out in artistic gymnastics as a kid, I got to level 5/6 with some higher level skills. I then had to quit because we moved and never got the chance to go back. I did dance but always missed gymnastics. Everywhere I moved in my adult life I would contact all the gyms to see if they would let an adult do gym. They all said no. Finally I found one that did but only for t&t which I had never even heard of. I was elated that I was going to be able to get back in a gym but sad because I wanted to do artistic events. After the first few classes that feeling faded and I was in love with t&t. Funny enough I actually did get the chance to compete ladies gymnastics and while it was fun t&t is my thing! Never would have imagined I would be here today doing level 9 and 10 at my age, competing and having oppertunities to do things like go to National's! And in reality I am not really old doing this there are lots of high level athlets in their 20's, 30's and even 40's! Best thing that has ever happened for me!

I started in tumbling. However, I did not start trampoline and double mini until I was around 7 or 8. The gym I originally started off in only had panel mats and some of the back handspring training equipment (Octagons and wedges). I competed with a lot of girls who started in artistic they had some troubles changing how they threw a few skills. The length of a back handspring on floor is different between the two. Traditionally artistic wants their back handsprings shorter so they fit and tumbling wants a longer back handspring. However, several of the artistic gymnasts I competed with either chose to do only floor or decided to do only trampoline and double-mini.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back