Women's AA Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The end of that competition was definitely one of my favorite moments of the games so far. The happy tears from both Simone and Aly, Simone asking Aly to come up and wave to the crowd with her, and both girls immediately going over to hug their competitors - such good sports and role models. I am so happy for both of them.

I got to watch the live feed without too much interruptions. Older girl had a friend over so when ever Aly and Simone were almost up I would ask her to help me with something so she could watch her favs. Younger isn't interested.

The end of that competition was definitely one of my favorite moments of the games so far. The happy tears from both Simone and Aly, Simone asking Aly to come up and wave to the crowd with her, and both girls immediately going over to hug their competitors - such good sports and role models. I am so happy for both of them.
When Simone called Aly up to the podium with her, that was one of the best things I have ever seen. And the two of them hugging each other. And the tears from both of them and Amy and Mihai. Oh boy, it just doesn't get better

They were both amazing! Aly's beam and floor were outstanding! Simone's floor......[emoji54][emoji50][emoji3] The height she gets!

The 2 per country rule really hurts the quality of gymnastics seen at the Olympic AA finals. Whereas Gabby would have made a run for a medal, I watched several lackluster, tedious, and sloppy performances on all events. It's the Olympics, for crying out loud! Counting 5 falls for just one gymnast is unacceptable at this level. I know everyone has an off day, but it was more than one gymnast. I understand they want to give others a chance to compete, but at what cost to the sport and to the gymnasts who are so much better than the ones competing? Just my 2 cents. Aly and Simone were a joy to watch. How great that Simone was the last up on floor!

I'm kind of in the middle. I get the best of the best thing.

But this is about every country getting a chance.

And all countries have a right to cheer on their team, falls and all.

Its kinda like splitting the difference, giving the best a shot and giving the most countries a shot. All these athletes know it going in.

Its not like they don't all get a shot a Worlds.

I agree with you GAgymmom, the OLYMPIC AA finals should have the 24 best gymnasts in the world, period. It's not the "feel good so everyone gets to compete" competition, it's the Olympics. I don't see that this is about every country getting a chance in the finals...every country gets a chance to get someone to the finals but if they don't, then sorry, the best 24 should compete for the title. I get that the US is dominant but sorry other countries, that's a "you problem"....either step it up with your training and get competitive or stop complaining that we dominate because our girls put in the work to be the best....end of rant....

I agree with you GAgymmom, the OLYMPIC AA finals should have the 24 best gymnasts in the world, period. It's not the "feel good so everyone gets to compete" competition, it's the Olympics. I don't see that this is about every country getting a chance in the finals...every country gets a chance to get someone to the finals but if they don't, then sorry, the best 24 should compete for the title. I get that the US is dominant but sorry other countries, that's a "you problem"....either step it up with your training and get competitive or stop complaining that we dominate because our girls put in the work to be the best....end of rant....

I tried to be objective, I really did, but at one point I felt like I was watching a level 9 meet with gymnasts who should have been level 8. I often wonder if the US hadn't become so good, if they would have made this rule? I remember decades of Russia, Belarus, Romania, (the Soviet Bloc) dominating the podium in gymnastics, and they swept the medals. And there wasn't any rule like this--the best got to compete against the best.

Some good routines I saw: the Chinese gymnast on beam, the Brazilian gymnast on floor, Aliyah on bars, Aly's beam, Simone and Aly on floor, the Chinese gymnast on bars. I didn't see any vaults.

You didn't miss much in the vault department....in the Olympic AA final, the first 3 gymnasts (Andrade of Brazil, then Aly and Simone) competed Amanars....and that vault was never seen again....there were DTYs... and there were even some Yurchenko fulls in the Olympic AA final...

But also makes me sad because between her or Gabby...we totally could have stolen the podium Gold-Bronze. I mean the American gymnasts truly are the best in the world and would have out-scored Mustafina most likely...so she's not really the third best in the world. Just the third best in the sector that she competed against. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm sure Laurie and Gabby both know that, and that makes me love them even more for sitting in the stands and cheering like they did.

But also makes me sad because between her or Gabby...we totally could have stolen the podium Gold-Bronze. I mean the American gymnasts truly are the best in the world and would have out-scored Mustafina most likely...so she's not really the third best in the world. Just the third best in the sector that she competed against. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm sure Laurie and Gabby both know that, and that makes me love them even more for sitting in the stands and cheering like they did.
In fairness, Laurie was indeed cheering. Gabby, politely clapping. When Aly finished floor, prime time showed Laurie and Maddie on their feet cheering. Gabby never got up. This is not Gabby hate. But an observation. She does seem not as enthusiastic and not as supportive as her teammates.

She was cheering, she just didn't stand up. Not to say she never stood up, she just wasn't in that moment when the cameras hit them
Clapping is not cheering. She seemed downright stoic. I never complained about Gabby before. But she's beginning to bother me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back