Parents YouTube Channel for Recruiting Question...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Just curious if any of your kids coaches created or asked you to create a YouTube channel for recruiting purposes?? And if so at what age did this get created??

My dd, 8th grade, first year level 10. Coaches requested I create her a YouTube page and a gymnastics dedicated Instagram account. They have given me guidance on what to post and not post to some extent, although I have posted some stuff just to get started. They said they would tape her and send me things to post as well as posting on the gym Instagram and YouTube accounts with links to her personal accounts. For example, her new vault, he specifically asked us not to post publicly until he gives us the go ahead.

I created her separate new accounts on both platforms. She and I both have Instagram accounts that some of her stuff from before and I have a YouTube page where I post all the stuff (like everything since she was 7) and then am just more targeted on her recruiting pages/accounts.

Her coaches were videotaping her today at practice and when I asked her why after practice she said it was for her YouTube channel for recruiting. She's 11 and we were told that she would be competing level 9 this year but now I'm starting to wonder...why would they want her to have a YouTube channel for recruiting before she's a level 10? I created a YouTube channel for her that has only gymnastics videos and she also has an IG account (she has 2, one that is for her and her friends and one just for gymnastics, which I run for her). I guess we will see what the coaches have in mind for her.

I think I recall that your dd is training hopes as well, right? That may be why. These girls, if they make it to elite, tend to get recruited at much younger ages.

Her coaches were videotaping her today at practice and when I asked her why after practice she said it was for her YouTube channel for recruiting. She's 11 and we were told that she would be competing level 9 this year but now I'm starting to wonder...why would they want her to have a YouTube channel for recruiting before she's a level 10? I created a YouTube channel for her that has only gymnastics videos and she also has an IG account (she has 2, one that is for her and her friends and one just for gymnastics, which I run for her). I guess we will see what the coaches have in mind for her.

She's a great gymnast. I would worry about getting over-exposed. Remember she's still just a little kid and you are putting a lot of information out on the web for everyone to see. Believe me, that puts a lot of pressure on her. I don't think you will hurt her future in any way by playing things a little closer to the vest.

At our gym gymnasts who want to compete in college have a youtube page. Our coach will reference it when discussing a gymnast with a college coach. The gymnasts usually update it during the season with good videos of good meet routines. Then they send college coaches emails that briefly some up the meet results, maybe mention how the college team is doing and include the link to the youtube page. They will update it maybe every 6 weeks during the off season, again with good videos of good skills. But if the gymnast and/or the club coach are not in contact with college coaches there is no point in having a youtube page.

IMO websites are unnecessary and a waste of money.

Our gym seems to have a different perspective than most and prefers our recruits NOT to have a youtube channel. HC think it's best to email very, very select videos to the coaches directly, and doesn't doesn't like the coaches to be able to watch a video over and over if the skill/performance wasn't the absolute best the gymnast can perform. One time I had sent meet videos at the college coach's request because they were waiting for her to get back after an injury to make a decision, and dd's coach thought it was a mistake because they weren't her best videos - and would have preferred us to "clear" it with him first before sending. It's possible that it wasn't a good idea as DD did NOT end up with an offer from the school in question. HC has an excellent track record of getting virtually all of our L10 girls on college teams either as a scholarship or walk-on, so I might be wrong. But I don't know. In my mind it was the reality we were dealing with, so maybe it wasn't the right school for her anyway...

Our gym seems to have a different perspective than most and prefers our recruits NOT to have a youtube channel. HC think it's best to email very, very select videos to the coaches directly, and doesn't doesn't like the coaches to be able to watch a video over and over if the skill/performance wasn't the absolute best the gymnast can perform. One time I had sent meet videos at the college coach's request because they were waiting for her to get back after an injury to make a decision, and dd's coach thought it was a mistake because they weren't her best videos - and would have preferred us to "clear" it with him first before sending. It's possible that it wasn't a good idea as DD did NOT end up with an offer from the school in question. HC has an excellent track record of getting virtually all of our L10 girls on college teams either as a scholarship or walk-on, so I might be wrong. But I don't know. In my mind it was the reality we were dealing with, so maybe it wasn't the right school for her anyway...

Good perspective.

Our coaches say most of the videos college coaches receive are not watched. I would think if you've got a coach watching your videos multiple times you are doing something right and ahead of the game! But I can see the coaches perspective also, if it comes down to Susie or Jane they might watch again the last video they received.

But the common theme in our posts is that the club coach is leading the recruiting process.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back