NCAA Let’s talk skills/strategies for recruiting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
I have noticed some gyms will compete girls as level 10s but will compete “easier” skills that may still earn a 10.0 sv or slightly below. (I realize no lvl 10 skills are easy but there is a wide range). You will see easier, cleaner routines out score more difficult ones that have more errors. So I am curious what is more beneficial when it comes to colleges recruiting. If a gymnast is a freshmen and theoretically has 2 maybe 3 seasons to really be recruited is it better to compete harder skills and gain experience and consistency over those years or is it better to water it down a bit to get high scores? Also, what skills would you say keep the gymnasts in the running,? Are there specific skills colleges are looking for?

Read the thread on recruiting in the Anonymous section. But starting from a timing standpoint, if colleges can start contacting you and making offers the summer after your sophomore year of high school, that means you want to be able to ideally have a L10 year under your belt your freshman year and then a solid year your sophomore year. All things being equal, colleges are going to value routines that are clean and start at 10.1 in JO/DP since these are "college ready". After that colleges are going to value clean gymnastics and girls that show potential to get there with the skills by the time they get to college. This is going to depend heavily on the gym coach's communication with the college and the college visits to the gym practice.

So you see, one is not better than the other, it depends on the gymnast, the gym coach and what that specific college is looking for. I would always advocate for clean gymnastics versus unclean big skills. Remember a college doesn't just evaluate recruits based on competitions. A clean gymnast is going to score high enough in DP competition that they will merit further interest (conversations with coach, visit to gym practice) in recruiting.

Here are a couple of good threads...

I'm curious to see answers as I'm not sure, all I know is our gym most definitely prioritizes clean, deduction free routines over 10.1 difficulty before someone is ready.

If a gymnast is a freshmen and theoretically has 2 maybe 3 seasons to really be recruited is it better to compete harder skills and gain experience and consistency over those years or is it better to water it down a bit to get high scores?

You are going to want clean routines and high scores. If you can't get high scores... then still show clean routines with good basics.

Experience on skills should be gained primarily in practice... not competition.

Colleges can see your training skills just like that on Instagram. If you show them slop in a meet... they will never see it anyways as 10 gymnasts will have scored higher and they will just look at them instead.

Show them a good basic set and they will look at your Instagram and add the big skills into your meet routine with their mind if it is realistic.

Thank you for all the replies? I guess I should clarify a little. The Meets up to state I feel like they are maybe playing with what will work the best. Her bigger skills are hitting at practice but not translating well to competition. Lack of experience I assume 🤷🏼‍♀️. I feel like it’s about 50/50 right now at meets for her. I tend to agree with what you all have said, play it safe at state and regionals to make t to nationals. Obviously I have no say in this but was more just curious how others handle this first year of 10 in an effort to really have a great year next year.

I suppose it also depends on how well she is scoring, whether she can afford a fall and still place well, and what regional she is in. You have more leeway in some regions vs others - as in having a fall won't necessarily take you out of nationals. In more competitive regions, it is best to put up the routine with the highest SV that the gymnast is most confident in performing

We had an athlete that did what she needed to do last year to qualify to Nationals... beginning and mid-season did not go as well as she was hoping. Debuted the Yurchenko lay 1.5 at Nationals... landed it... National vault champ. Instant 10+ colleges following her on Instagram. She was doing the 1.5 in practice and was good at it... but it just didn't make sense to risk it at Regionals and not qualify... and it wasn't ready early on in the season. It was worth it at Nationals... even if it wasn't a great one... the colleges would see that skill that they want to see. So yes... there are certain skills that they want to see... those skills are basically the same exact skills that you will see when you turn on college gymnastics and watch it on TV.

If the athlete is not competitive... then I would play it as just that... a building year. Don't sell them mental nonsense. If they are competitive... well then... game on! Do what needs to be done to safely try to qualify to the big game.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back