Parents YouTube or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

magmom

Proud Parent
So, I'm thinking about creating a YouTube channel for my son's gymnastics videos. It would be intended mostly for friends and family. However, because doing private or unlisted videos is a hassle, the channel would be public. There would be no name, location, gym name or other identifier associated with the channel. However, the videos are decent enough quality that my son's face, his coach's face, and other kids in the background are clear enough to be identifiable if you knew them.

So, do you think it's okay to have public YouTube videos set up like this? Am I being too paranoid? Or not paranoid enough?

Mine has a youTube channel. Some people are more private than others in different venues. I don't think someone is going to come and kidnap my child because of seeing her on YouTube so I'm okay with having it. She chooses what gets uploaded and likes to share with her friends at school. Even her teacher has watched it.

I mean, what if someone sees and recognizes your son? For my life, it doesn't make a bit of difference. Would it bother you or would it make a difference in your life?

Mine has a youTube channel. Some people are more private than others in different venues. I don't think someone is going to come and kidnap my child because of seeing her on YouTube so I'm okay with having it. She chooses what gets uploaded and likes to share with her friends at school. Even her teacher has watched it.

I mean, what if someone sees and recognizes your son? For my life, it doesn't make a bit of difference. Would it bother you or would it make a difference in your life?

I guess I'm more asking on behalf of anyone who might end up in the background. As parents, is everyone okay with your kids being in the background of someone else's publicly shared videos?

Ah! Got it. Sorry I misunderstood. That doesn't bother me personally. I'm not even sure if other kids show up that well in my DD's videos. Have to go check that out.

My personal assumption these days is if my child is participating in something 'public' like a sporting event, then I accept that they may appear in other people's videos, private or shared. I would hope that if something potentially embarrassing was in the video, such as a close up back-end shot of another child bending over (common in gymnastics!) or something, that the posting parent would perhaps edit that out or avoid public posting of that moment in time. Other than that, I'm not personally concerned.

Curious, does anyone's gym have a policy on this?

Our gym has a no video no photography policy for training. So the only video is at meets, where there is a videographer taking everything anyways. My thought is if you go into that sort of public forum you risk the chance of being caught on video.

Would you "not" post a picture on Facebook from your family vacation to Disney due to concerns of the people in the background? I take the same approach with DDs videos.

I just saw my DD in the background of one of her competitors videos (they don't go to the same gym) and I am ok with that. I am not a hugely private person though, so others may not agree. We had a team mom once that wouldn't sign off on the team handbook acknowledgement because it said her DD's scores may be posted in the gym or included in a press release to newspapers. She wouldn't even let her DD's photos be posted to the team's private Shutterfly site for the longest time either. That is the polar opposite of me.

I would not put my children out there.

You can set up a photo sharing account that is private and give friends/family the access password, rather than youtube.

But I then feel that a little too much life is "shared" out there nowadays - once its out it can never be put back.

I used to put my kids videos up, not tag them in anyway as gymnastics or sports. I would share with grandma etc and then take them down.

Do not see the point if a channel or tagging unless you are looking for a college spot.

I put mine up on YT without name or other identifying info. I've seen that a lot of hits come from people searching for high scoring routines.

I put mine up on YT without name or other identifying info. I've seen that a lot of hits come from people searching for high scoring routines.
is there a section on yt that gives you this info? That is cool.

I upload dd's videos, mainly for family and friends but since dd went through the prep-op/xcel system, I also thought it would help parents/gymnasts seeking videos of that program, as there are much fewer available.

is there a section on yt that gives you this info? That is cool.

I upload dd's videos, mainly for family and friends but since dd went through the prep-op/xcel system, I also thought it would help parents/gymnasts seeking videos of that program, as there are much fewer available.

If you look at analytics, it tells you where your traffic comes from. Most of ours are view referrals and the rest are mobile apps and direct traffic. I share the link on two forums I visit, but that represents a small amount of our views.

You can also go into further analytics about traffic sources.

Curious, does anyone's gym have a policy on this?

Generally, when we enter a comp it is stated on the entry forms that video/photography will be permitted, and if you're not comfortable with that then do not enter.

Some events make you sign in your camera, and you get a wristband or some such so sources can be traced.

In schools, public events are much the same. However if you do not want your child photographed then cameras are banned except for individual photos at the end. This is to protect vulnerable children, such as those in foster care or that have been removed from abusive situations- one video on Facebook where the child can be traced to a school can put that child back in danger.

As for YouTube, no. My child is a minor and cannot make informed consent for her videos to be out there. I've seen comments and trolling and it can get pretty nasty. When she's old enough and mature enough to deal with that she can put her videos up- not that she has many.

Although she's just discovered Instagram but I have her settings locked down and I check through her followers with her regularly to make sure she personally knows everyone.

I just saw my DD in the background of one of her competitors videos (they don't go to the same gym) and I am ok with that. I am not a hugely private person though, so others may not agree. We had a team mom once that wouldn't sign off on the team handbook acknowledgement because it said her DD's scores may be posted in the gym or included in a press release to newspapers. She wouldn't even let her DD's photos be posted to the team's private Shutterfly site for the longest time either. That is the polar opposite of me.
Our team also has a completely private Shutterfly site. We have one girl on team and she is not to be listed by name on the roster... her parents aren't listed on the roster... she is not tagged in any pictures (her father FINALLY asked for access to the site after the coach said that she posts the team pics there - coach takes them herself and it is cheaper - parents can print what they want or download to their computers to share).
HC had asked the dad if it was ok to post hers with the rest or should she just not take her picture. Since that point, he has loosened up some... she was allowed to be in the background of the team video (good thing since for the 2 years before, she PURPOSELY ruined some of the video I was taking - standing where she knew she would be on camera... and it would take me an extra 50-60 hours in editing each video to make sure she was not in any frames at all - when in doubt, I had to leave it out... including the prettiest kip I have ever seen).

I don't think you are being paranoid! I posted a video of my daughter on Facebook to friends and family, and they started sharing it to people I don't know...that concerned me...I found out I can't control access unless I delete the video completely or make a list of those allowed to use it...way more hassle than youtube.
So, i started using youtube...even if it's public and people share you can still delete it at anytime...or make it unlisted or private...at your discretion without getting rid of the video and just one push of a button.
I think as long as you follow the general rules of not adding private info on the videos ... I haven't had any problems.

Welcome to the net.

I know, I know. My children are growing up in a very different time than I did. I'm just still not comfortable with the "new normal" of everything being shared and posted. I'm sure I'll join the 21st century eventually. ;)

Thanks all for the opinions and advice.

You can set the Facebook privacy setting on pictures ( and I assume video ) to only allow "friends" to see it and not "friends of friends". That's how my sister has her set up. I wanted to share a picture of my nephew with my friends but couldn't due to her privacy settings, which I understand but was still a little annoyed about.

Also when you set up youtube set the comments so you have to approve them before they post to the site. That way you can delete the negative before anyone has to see it.

You can set the Facebook privacy setting on pictures ( and I assume video ) to only allow "friends" to see it and not "friends of friends". That's how my sister has her set up. I wanted to share a picture of my nephew with my friends but couldn't due to her privacy settings, which I understand but was still a little annoyed about.

Also when you set up youtube set the comments so you have to approve them before they post to the site. That way you can delete the negative before anyone has to see it.

This is what I do.

We have had a YouTube for our daughter Maddie for years and we have never gotten any bad comments or bad feedback. I do however have to approve the comments before they go up ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back