Parents 2013 TOPS Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
So, my DD didn't test last year due to injury...has tested twice this summer so far....I see FAR FEWER gyms/girls testing. Have most gyms dropped out of TOPS? Due to the changes? I see benefit to the training....and potential visibility to the National Staff....why do most pass? Skills, money, time?

Anywho...just thinking it all through!

I have heard the same, very few girls testing. I can only assume it is the skills portion that has stopped gyms participating as it really is the only change to the programme. How did Sophia's testing go?

I agree it is likely related to the skills. They're hard and I think would be considered quite "above level" for most kids that age. My DD is 9, testing next weekend (as a 10-yr old). She is 9-yrs old/competing L7 next season, but has an end-of-year birthday so must test as 10. I don't know what to expect as she hasn't tested in the past but her coach wants her to do it. Honestly, she has the skills better than a few of the physical abilities though...she cannot hold her handstand for 30 secs consistently and she does not have 10 press-handstands either. But she has the majority of the skills pretty consistently, so we'll see. She's still working on that Yurchenko-timer....shall be interesting!

I see very few also. Not even the teams that have a high number of optionals are doing it. Our girls are level 5 and 6 and are doing nothing but tops 6 hrs a day.Hardly any uptraining at all. I see the conditioning doing good but I think doing year round would be better than 3 months worth. All the kids are stressed out and the fun of gymnastics is not there anymore for Dd.which begs to ask is it worth it if your doing optionals already.

Wow! 6 hours a day of TOPS? That would be a drag for sure. Our gym doesn't do anything like that....the conditioning is part of our regular program (with maybe a bit more focus on specific things) and then the skills are worked as part of practice. I would not think foregoing other training for TOPS would be a good route as it seems it would/could negatively impact training for the upcoming competition season. But I'm not a coach so I won't second guess....there may be a lot more "level" training included than is apparent.

At any rate, good luck with testing!

The addition of the skills testing may be a contributing factor. However, I feel there is a general decline in TOPS testing participants over the past few years. The year before my daughter participated, there were over 5,000 testing at the state level. The year my daughter tested, if I recall correctly, there were close to 4,000. The second year she tested, there were only 2,700. At our gym, while the HC picked and chose only some gymnasts, 80% of the ones she chose should not have even tested. Many could barely do one press to handstand, hold a handstand for more than 10 seconds, climb a rope etc. I could not figure out what the coach was thinking. But maybe since she was taking a couple that had a chance, why not take more? Maybe in this day and age, with the economy, parents are more discriminate with their spending. Skills are getting harder and harder and maybe coaches are realizing the elite path is truly for the elite. Hence, there is no benefit of getting exposure to the national staff if elite is not a distinct possibility.

....why do most pass? Skills, money, time?

Anywho...just thinking it all through!

First, most do NOT pass. Out of the thousands that test roughly 280 make it to national testing. And out of the. 280, roughly 60 make the A team. Those that make the A team are usually competing higher levels already. My experience talking to the parent at the ranch is many are homeshooled or modified school schedules, and train upwards of 30 hours. The top testers are already doing elite track hours.

if I recall from your videos, your daughter looks like she could make the team. She is very talented. Good luck and have fun with it.

Well DD did two tests...the better of her two went something like this

20/20 leg lifts
5/5 Cast to Handstands
30 second handstand
10 presses
6.7 rope climb
8/10 good leg splits 7.5/10 bad leg splits

24/24 Bars
22/24 Beam
20/24 Floor

She will (probably) compete level 9 this upcoming season.

I think one of the earlier posters hit the nail on the head. Many girls tested previously who really didn't have even the physical abilities. Add in the skills and it really is a non starter. I wonder if although the state testing numbers have really dropped maybe the ones who make it to national testing will remain about the same ie. those who would have qualified before are still testing but the lower scoring girls aren't bothering anymore.

Sophia is a beautiful gymnast and should make any TOPS team. She would be on my list that is for sure!
Good luck to all the girls.

I am wondering how this lack of numbers will affect the program. Much less money coming in for USAG and also for the gyms who used to take crowds of kids to test.

Sophia is a joy to watch. I'm so glad you share a few of her video's with us. I am amazed at how she makes difficult skills look effortless.

Great job! Her scores are very high. I was amazed at the large turnout at that TOPS testing, In our area there have never been more than a dozen kids at each test over the past 4 years Ive been involved in TOPS. Most are closed viewing to parents, spectators and all ask even coaches not to video

Mine has been to one TOPs test and it was similar situation. Not as many girls testing and wide variety of ability. There were girls that were obviously well prepared and should test well and there were girls with potential but need more time to develop for future tests. It was a much quieter test.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back