2016 Women's Artistic Gymnastics Olympic Team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can't say I'm too surprised but why put the girls through the rigors of the trials if the team is pre-ordained? They could definitely use the rest , as evidenced by the Simone bobbles (even a work horse eventually needs to be rested...)

Naming Gabby to the team seemed a complete slap in the face to the girls who have worked hard and brought their A game but head games are part of gymnastics so Marta was sure to take part in that as well...

For me, I see the 2016 version as Simone, Aly and Laurie are Gabby, Aly and Jordyn from 2012, Kocian is the Kyla position and Gabby is the one event wonder that Maroney was slated to be ( but without the sure thing factor that Maroney was back then....I'm doubtful that Douglas would even be on the podium , especially with Kocian in the mix)...which begs the question, why Gabby because she didn't increase the medal potential. As much as I am a Skinner cringer ( hate her form) , she definitely had a greater potential to medal on vault than Douglas does on bars...

Last edited:
Maggie was not top three on anything (all the other alternates were top 3 on something) and has just came back from injury and does not look to be 100%, I am disappointed for her but for those reasons the decision makes sense, she needed more time, 2015 Maggie should have been on the team, but not 2016 Maggie :( . Ashton only does two events and could not step in elsewhere if an injury occurred after the competition started, that leaves the team having to put up less than ideal routines. Gabby is there because of bars her D score is similar to Ashton and she score well internationally. In the past Ashton has not got the scores she gets at home on bars in international competition. Gabby can also put up a decent vault and has a floor routine good enough for prelims.
I assume Marta will be locking the girls away at the ranch away from distraction and Gabby will straighten out without all the external influences currently dragging her gym down( I sure hope so). The team was chosen off national's as well, Gabby is a debatable choice but not ridiculous, its a team competition primarily and the team is chose based on what they can do for the team, not being the 4th or 5th best kid who is only useful for prelims on all events. I am not team Gabby (especially can't stand the family and their influence) and would rather see another gymnast who appeared to care a little more make the team, but I do not disagree with her selection.

The sad part about Gabby's selection is that it will potentially mean Aly is out of the AA as she is the weakest link on bars and may not compete in prelims on that event. I am not an Aly fan, but she has worked hard and done well for herself, it seems a shame that she may not get to fight for that spot with Simone, Laurie and Gabby (depending on their events) during prelims.
I guess I do find her a ridiculous choice. I feel like she essentially was begging not to be chosen, or flaunting that she was no matter what. Heck, I'm annoyed that she's going to be competing for our country when she can't be bothered to stay standing straight with her hand over her heart for the national anthem. She just has an I don't care air and they thundering applause she gets anyway (literally and metaphorically) drives me nuts. As for Maggie, I think she proved she's back as a solid aa replacement and I think she's far more dependable than Ragan, who grates every single nerve I have. Obviously that's a personal thing though.

Because they take 24 gymnasts, and because of the 2 per country rule, the AA final is fairly easy to qualify for. Q score is usually in the 55ish range, which every USA girl at trials can do. Simone, Laurie or Aly could have several falls in qualifying and still make it, so no need to really hedge bets to make sure 2 get in the top 24, whoever went out of those 3 would be in top 24. Event finals are much harder to qualify for since only top 8 go, so Gabby and Madison are the only realistic chance at finals and medals on UB, the rest of the world is looking pretty strong on bars right now.

Really going to be a tough choice. Marta will not consider who deserves it more. Now that this is the team, it will be about what lineup of this team can bring home the most medals.

I agree. They already sacrificed the spot in VT event finals by not including Skinner, right? If I understand correctly, only Simone is now eligible for VT finals (unless Gaby can bring her Amanar back). So, they probably won't risk loosing UB spot just so the AA selection would be more fair.

Reactions: sce
The only time I have seen Marta bench a kid in order to allow someone into AA was at worlds last year where Maggie sat out bars in prelims, Aly got her AA opportunity and Maggie was back in finals doing AA I believe . Aly, Laurie and even Gabby will still medal in the AA as the second US girl so which one probably does not matter. Keeping the team in the lead is important so putting the best up on each apparatus matters, camp will be a fight to prove your worth. Nothing like internal competition to make everyone work harder during the nine days of camp :confused:. Marta will do what is best for the team, just like at worlds that year when Brenna sat on the bench for all apparatus because of poor training and all the other gymnasts competed AA (including Maroney and her wild bars)

Prelims
Vault: Gabby, Laurie, Aly, Simone
Bars: Simone, Laurie, Gabby, Maddie
Beam: Maddie, Aly, Simone, Laurie
Floor: gabby, Laurie, Aly, Simone

I don't see Marta benching anyone and then putting them up in finals. Brazilian crowds have a reputation for being very hostile (don't understand gymnastics) I don't see Marta suddenly putting someone up on an apparatus in finals with what the Brazilian crowds potentially will dish out.

Skinner is potentially toxic to the team, she was kept well away from the rest of the girls last year as the alternate because of her behaviour. Re-tweeting negative stuff about Gabby's selection is hardly what a team player does - I get it, you feel jilted, but don't post it over social media. She also needs an Amanar to contend for vault medals, so crashing in warm up on day one and just doing a double does not help your case, having a nightmare beam routine two weeks ago, does not help.

I am not personal happy with Gabby's selection given that I think her toxic leaching family deserves a huge hit, but I can see why she is there, and I hope she turns herself around when surrounded at camp by the coaches and team. I also really wish she would cut her family off.

US only has one vaulter on the team (Biles). No one else does two vaults except Skinner, who's an alternate, so as things stand now, the US can only qualify one to vault finals.

This may be controversial, but if they do go with two AAers instead of three, I am not convinced that Laurie rather than Aly should get the second spot. I guess we'll just have to see what gets leaked from camp.

100% agreed about Skinner's tweets. Not helpful to her cause.

The only time I have seen Marta bench a kid in order to allow someone into AA was at worlds last year where Maggie sat out bars in prelims, Aly got her AA opportunity and Maggie was back in finals doing AA I believe . Aly, Laurie and even Gabby will still medal in the AA as the second US girl so which one probably does not matter. Keeping the team in the lead is important so putting the best up on each apparatus matters, camp will be a fight to prove your worth. Nothing like internal competition to make everyone work harder during the nine days of camp :confused:. Marta will do what is best for the team, just like at worlds that year when Brenna sat on the bench for all apparatus because of poor training and all the other gymnasts competed AA (including Maroney and her wild bars)

Prelims
Vault: Gabby, Laurie, Aly, Simone
Bars: Simone, Laurie, Gabby, Maddie
Beam: Maddie, Aly, Simone, Laurie
Floor: gabby, Laurie, Aly, Simone

I don't see Marta benching anyone and then putting them up in finals. Brazilian crowds have a reputation for being very hostile (don't understand gymnastics) I don't see Marta suddenly putting someone up on an apparatus in finals with what the Brazilian crowds potentially will dish out.

Skinner is potentially toxic to the team, she was kept well away from the rest of the girls last year as the alternate because of her behaviour. Re-tweeting negative stuff about Gabby's selection is hardly what a team player does - I get it, you feel jilted, but don't post it over social media. She also needs an Amanar to contend for vault medals, so crashing in warm up on day one and just doing a double does not help your case, having a nightmare beam routine two weeks ago, does not help.

I am not personal happy with Gabby's selection given that I think her toxic leaching family deserves a huge hit, but I can see why she is there, and I hope she turns herself around when surrounded at camp by the coaches and team. I also really wish she would cut her family off.
I think this is spot on. I can see possibly putting Gabby over Madison on beam in qualifying after Madison's fall and if Gabby proved herself over the next month, but right now would have it as you do. That 4th beam score in Q doesn't really matter so it's a toss up. I didn't know that about Skinner on social media...disappointing.

What did Skinner tweet? I went and tried to find it and don't see anything (although I may not be looking at her "real Twitter" for the accounts I found).

What did Skinner tweet? I went and tried to find it and don't see anything (although I may not be looking at her "real Twitter" for the accounts I found).
I don't think she had personally said anything (at least not this time, from what I understand she has a history of that), but is retweeting a lot of messages with the sentiments that she should be on the team and was robbed of a spot. Nothing totally over the top, but certainly not in good taste or a demonstration of good sportsmanship. In contrast, Maggie is also retweeting messages, but all of them are folks saying they are proud of her and love/support her no matter what- nothing about how she should deserves a spot on the team (implying that someone else does not deserve to be there). Which is a far more preferable way to engage fans at this point and show support for your teammates who were selected.

Nothing completely outrageous. But retweeting "I don't care about politics, Skinner should be on that team" and "you should be on that team instead" is not something an alternate to the Olympic team and current national team member should be doing. Vent to your friends, family and coaches in private, but a national team member should be 100% behind her team in public.

Yeah the Douglas/Hawkins contingent needs to go bye-bye...supposedly Gabby was so "relaxed" during trials and after because she never thought she wouldn't be named because basically USAG reminded her of all "the money she brings to the table".....talk about politics! I think USAG would still get the money without her , and even more so with Simone because she's so much more personable...

USAG's reputation has taken a hit for a totally political pick...welcome to Rio!!

Yeah the Douglas/Hawkins contingent needs to go bye-bye...supposedly Gabby was so "relaxed" during trials and after because she never thought she wouldn't be named because basically USAG reminded her of all "the money she brings to the table".....talk about politics! I think USAG would still get the money without her , and even more so with Simone because she's so much more personable...

USAG's reputation has taken a hit for a totally political pick...welcome to Rio!!
I don't understand how naming the 3rd best gymnast in the USA on bars as of this weekend, who won the silver medal in the AA at worlds just 9 months ago is "totally policital". You really think Gabby's gymnastics had nothing to do with her being named? I can understand those who argue perhaps they would prefer another gymnast should have been named ahead of her, but "totally political" I don't get.

Forget about beam for a minute, because the named team has plenty of strength there. I can see debating the choice of Douglas, but I don't think it's at all out of the ballpark. She hit three out of four bars routines at nationals and trials and her DT Yurchenko is excellent. Her floor is usable if necessary. I don't think there was any way to name a team that would not have been debatable given what everyone brought at trials.

I'm disappointed that Gabby is on the team. I don't think she earned it and I think a lot more than her gymnastics went into that decision. I was holding out hope for Ragan until the very end, especially with Gabby's second fall of the meet, but deep down I knew they'd pick Gabby. If they "really need her on bars" and thats all they're taking her for, why not take Ashton? Or let Simone do bars and give the last spot to an AA'er who earned it (I would have been happy to see Mykayla, Maggie or Ragan) . Sad to see Maggie not get an alternate spot.

I definitely agree with you on every point made here. I'm honestly disappointed that Gabby is on the team. Also, what was the deal with all her coaching changes? That made an obvious impact on her performance in my opinion. Maybe she should have sticked with Chow...however, she fell Night 1 AND Night 2 on beam! I don't think her performance in general was a very Olympic one. I think Maggie deserved at the very least an alternate spot on that team.

I guess I do find her a ridiculous choice. I feel like she essentially was begging not to be chosen, or flaunting that she was no matter what. Heck, I'm annoyed that she's going to be competing for our country when she can't be bothered to stay standing straight with her hand over her heart for the national anthem. She just has an I don't care air and they thundering applause she gets anyway (literally and metaphorically) drives me nuts. As for Maggie, I think she proved she's back as a solid aa replacement and I think she's far more dependable than Ragan, who grates every single nerve I have. Obviously that's a personal thing though.

Ppl don't even stand w/hand over heart at the base movie theater so...yeah... that's not unusual. Not a Gabby thing at all.

Ppl don't even stand w/hand over heart at the base movie theater so...yeah... that's not unusual. Not a Gabby thing at all.
Unusual in our world. Every base we've lived and every event we've attended. Not really the point though when it's glaring and on the national stage- going for a chance to represent the country. Especially with how they hyped up glory for the nation and all that. It's just bad form.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1468255584.682753.jpg

I think the announcers were told ahead of last night that Gabby is making the team no mater what so be sure to talk her up if she screws up cause we don't want people to think it's politics or favoritism. Their reaction to her beam fall was completely different on night 2 - the first night they were like omg, this is bad for her, the second night they were like oh well, no big deal, she did a good bar routine and smiled during floor so she's going to the Olympics. Gabby didn't seem to care much either that she fell on night 2 (where on night one she was really upset), and neither did her mom in her "impromptu" interveiw. They all knew she was a lock ;). Must be nice.

I definitely agree with you on every point made here. I'm honestly disappointed that Gabby is on the team. Also, what was the deal with all her coaching changes? That made an obvious impact on her performance in my opinion. Maybe she should have sticked with Chow...however, she fell Night 1 AND Night 2 on beam! I don't think her performance in general was a very Olympic one. I think Maggie deserved at the very least an alternate spot on that team.

Re: the coaching stuff, I really wonder if after the Olympics if she'll go back to any club gym at all - could she conceivably just train only at the ranch from this point on till the Olympics and never even have to go back to Buckeye?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back