Parents A little disappointed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom826

Proud Parent
Asked about my dd. Was told they don't do score outs. I was hoping she could skip levels since she's pretty far ahead in skills.

What happened was she started Level 3 back in 2011 and completed Level 3 in 2012. That's when the levels changed. She was at another gym at the time. They would not move her to Level 4. She competed Level 3 in 2013. I saw this other gym in competition and felt it might be a better fit for my dd, so I took her there to try out. She got accepted on team, but they also would not let her do Level 4, they said she had to do Level 3 again. So she's essentially been in "Level 3" for three plus years (because of the "new" 3). Now she's in Level 4, but she's been up training. She got her kip right away, her kip cast handstand, she doing Giants, a back tuck dismount off beam, ROBHBH and ROBHBT...but she still has to do 4 the whole season. The coaches are great. I'm glad they taught her all those skills just thought it would be for her to score out or skip but that's not what they have in mind I guess, but they know what they're doing, I'm just feeling a little bummed. Because of that level change in 2012, I feel like she's been in these lower levels forever when she seems to be capable of so much more. Sorry if this is long just venting a little.

You didn't mention your DD's age. That might make a difference. The transition from compulsory to optionals is difficult, and it can take awhile. I know it seems like she's been doing level 3 forever, but in reality she did advance a level in there somewhere. Even if the levels didn't change she would still be in compulsories at this point.

Do you know if they routinely have the girls score out of level 5? Some gyms do that. So the coaches may want her to be a solid 4 before skipping 5 and moving on to 6.

You didn't mention your DD's age. That might make a difference. The transition from compulsory to optionals is difficult, and it can take awhile. I know it seems like she's been doing level 3 forever, but in reality she did advance a level in there somewhere. Even if the levels didn't change she would still be in compulsories at this point.

Do you know if they routinely have the girls score out of level 5? Some gyms do that. So the coaches may want her to be a solid 4 before skipping 5 and moving on to 6.
She's 8. I'm not sure if they've ever scored any girls out of 5. From what I've read, level 5 can't be skipped entirely, but they can score out? Not sure exactly how that works.

Our gym doesn't score out but they do uptrain. My daughter and I are Ok with this. Her skills are very solid and she will get to where she is supposed to be.

If score out options are important to you and your gymmie another gym switch is in order.

Your daughter is still on the young side at 8. It might be that the coaches are taking the time to really getting her form cleaned up before moving her up to optionals. As for level 5, they can do one meet to score out, depends on the gym. There are not too many gyms around us who compete level 5 now (most compete 6). The present group of level 6's at DD's gym tested out of 5 at the Judges' Cup in August (optional season starts in January).

Reactions: sce
Going from Old Level 3 to New Level 3 was going up a level.
And I personally know of a girl that was training giants when she was in Old Level 3. Of course, she competed Old L4 and Old L5 and scored out of Old L6 just before the level change.

Don't get caught up in the level numbers. As long as they are up training, she is learning new stuff, and advancing at least a level per year now, she will be fine. She is still young.

I am guessing it is an age thing. Eight is still young for a level 4, and I might add, very impressive. She will do great!! I would look for another gym though if you want something different for her. What your dd wants is most important, is she excited about the new skills and her soon to be level? That is the key here. If she is happy, then let it go...and good luck with the season!

Your daughter is still on the young side at 8. It might be that the coaches are taking the time to really getting her form cleaned up before moving her up to optionals. As for level 5, they can do one meet to score out, depends on the gym. There are not too many gyms around us who compete level 5 now (most compete 6). The present group of level 6's at DD's gym tested out of 5 at the Judges' Cup in August (optional season starts in January).
Is level 5 more like level 4 or 6? So most gyms don't have both a level 5 and a 6? And 6 is optionals? That's when they get their own routines? What's the Judges Cup? Do all states have that? Is that where you would have to go? thanks for the information

The new level 3 is the same as the old level 4 and the new level 4 is the same as the old level 5. So she has moved up 3 levels.

I am guessing it is an age thing. Eight is still young for a level 4, and I might add, very impressive. She will do great!! I would look for another gym though if you want something different for her. What your dd wants is most important, is she excited about the new skills and her soon to be level? That is the key here. If she is happy, then let it go...and good luck with the season!
Thanks..yes she's very happy with her new skills and the new level. She's very excited for the season. She doesn't even understand about the levels really. It's just she's actually one of the older ones in her level and some of the younger ones still cry and she has to wait for them to get a skill sometimes before they can move on. But it's only things I've observed so it's nothing that she has said to me so I don't think those things bother her necessarily.

Is level 5 more like level 4 or 6? So most gyms don't have both a level 5 and a 6? And 6 is optionals? That's when they get their own routines? What's the Judges Cup? Do all states have that? Is that where you would have to go? thanks for the information

Level 5 and level 6 (optional level) are very similar in my opinion. DD's head coach started opting out of the old level 6 several years before the level changes and originally had those girls test out of the old level 6 then do a season of Xcel Platinum before moving into optionals. Right before the levels change took effect, DD's group tested out of the old level 6 and competed the new level 6. And yes, level 6 get their own routines as optionals. I am not sure about other states but our state has a practice meet at the beginning of the compulsory season called Judges' Cup where the judges can give the girls feedback on what they need to work on. This year it was allowed for the girls needing to test out of 5 to do that at this practice meet. It seems there is no set way to test out- some gyms might have judges come to their gym and do an in-house meet, others may take their girls to an early season meet and have them test out there. I am not sure of numbers regarding level 5. From what I have seen at DD's state meets since the level change (ours have a fall and spring meet for compulsories), there are a small number of gyms here that have girls doing level 5.

I get where you are coming from, but if dd is excited about her skills and the season, I think you just need to change your mindset. (that is meant in the nicest way, no snarkiness). You are likely in a gym that does a lot of 'train up, compete down' where they don't get to compete skills until they have had them solid for a good 9-12 months. This should give her more confidence during her meets and she will continue to be able to uptrain throughout the season.

As the others have said as well, I know it seems like she spent three years in L3, but she didn't. She moved up, competed higher level skills, just didn't change numbers.

Is level 5 more like level 4 or 6?

It is more like level 4, but with slightly harder skills and much more attention to detail (and much tougher judging). It is a compulsory level like 4. Level 6 is the first optionals level where the athletes can choose their own elements to use in the routines, according to parameters and restrictions set for each level. Actually, its the coaches choosing the elements, but if it is done right the routines can be tailored to match a gymnast's strengths. The absolute most important aspect of optionals competition is .... each gymnast can use their own music! No more listening to the same 2 minute musical riff over and over again.

She's 8. I'm not sure if they've ever scored any girls out of 5. From what I've read, level 5 can't be skipped entirely, but they can score out? Not sure exactly how that works.

A gymnast cannot compete at level 5 until she has scored a 31 all-around score at level 4. Same is true for levels 6, 7, and 8 (in each case she must achieve an AA score of 31 at the previous level). Although level 6 is considered optional, so a 31 AA at level 5 is good enough to move up to either 6 or 7. For levels 9 and 10 the mobility score is a 34 AA.

It seems there is no set way to test out- some gyms might have judges come to their gym and do an in-house meet, others may take their girls to an early season meet and have them test out there.

It only has to be a USAG sanctioned meet. Not sure about other parts of the country but where we are the bigger optional meets are held in the winter and spring, whereas the compulsories are generally in the fall. Someone skipping level 5 could score out at the first compulsory meet in September or October, then be all set for level 6 to start in December or January.

Asked about my dd. Was told they don't do score outs. I was hoping she could skip levels since she's pretty far ahead in skills.

What happened was she started Level 3 back in 2011 and completed Level 3 in 2012. That's when the levels changed. She was at another gym at the time. They would not move her to Level 4. She competed Level 3 in 2013. I saw this other gym in competition and felt it might be a better fit for my dd, so I took her there to try out. She got accepted on team, but they also would not let her do Level 4, they said she had to do Level 3 again. So she's essentially been in "Level 3" for three plus years (because of the "new" 3). Now she's in Level 4, but she's been up training. She got her kip right away, her kip cast handstand, she doing Giants, a back tuck dismount off beam, ROBHBH and ROBHBT...but she still has to do 4 the whole season. The coaches are great. I'm glad they taught her all those skills just thought it would be for her to score out or skip but that's not what they have in mind I guess, but they know what they're doing, I'm just feeling a little bummed. Because of that level change in 2012, I feel like she's been in these lower levels forever when she seems to be capable of so much more. Sorry if this is long just venting a little.
Well, going off of what you are saying and taking into consideration that I don't know anything about your kid, here goes.... Sounds like she is doing great, why do you care if she does a whole or half season?

Well, going off of what you are saying and taking into consideration that I don't know anything about your kid, here goes.... Sounds like she is doing great, why do you care if she does a whole or half season?
I just thought it might be better if she went into a new level so she could focus solely on those skills and possibly learn more. Than to be in one level the whole season and going over what she already knows.

I just thought it might be better if she went into a new level so she could focus solely on those skills and possibly learn more. Than to be in one level the whole season and going over what she already knows.
She is up training, that is learning new skills.

We parents get disappointed about lots of things. I can understand when you see skills that she has acquired that are used in the next level that you might wonder why she doesn't get to go to the next level. It may be that they are not competition ready, she is not ready to combine them in a routine, she has some but not all of the required skills for the next level, or the coaches feel she needs the competition experience at 4 first .5 can be a difficult level to score well in. That could be discouraging to a child who "just barely" has the skills. I would trust the coach that they are doing the best thing. They want to show off mighty mites at competition. 8 year old level 5s look good for the gym. But a strong, good scoring 8 year old level 4 is something for the gym to be proud of too. There aren't that many of them when you go to competitions.

It's okay to be disappointed. The important thing is to keep it to yourself so you DD doesn't doubt the coaches. It is fun to stand on the podium when you are 8. She has plenty of time to progress.

We parents get disappointed about lots of things. I can understand when you see skills that she has acquired that are used in the next level that you might wonder why she doesn't get to go to the next level. It may be that they are not competition ready, she is not ready to combine them in a routine, she has some but not all of the required skills for the next level, or the coaches feel she needs the competition experience at 4 first .5 can be a difficult level to score well in. That could be discouraging to a child who "just barely" has the skills. I would trust the coach that they are doing the best thing. They want to show off mighty mites at competition. 8 year old level 5s look good for the gym. But a strong, good scoring 8 year old level 4 is something for the gym to be proud of too. There aren't that many of them when you go to competitions.

It's okay to be disappointed. The important thing is to keep it to yourself so you DD doesn't doubt the coaches. It is fun to stand on the podium when you are 8. She has plenty of time to progress.
This. And if your dd is doing giants now, wow is she going to do well later...think of all the time she will have to refine and define them!!! Many gyms out there don't uptrain...your dd is honestly one of the lucky ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back