Parents Acid Reflux due to nerves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2twingymnasts

Proud Parent
I think my son has acid reflux. I'm going to try to get into Dr. today. He has been dealing with occasional heartburn for a few years now but we always forget to ask the Dr. about it during his well visits. He often has heartburn before a meet and it is always just after he is done eating. Tums and a heating pad seems to usually help.

Last night he came home from practice and was fine. He ate dinner and was curled up in pain and worried he was going to throw-up. He doesn't have the pain this morning but still feels like he might throw-up. His breath smelled horrible. Tums didn't help last night.

He has been overly excited and nervous for Future Stars Regionals which is this weekend. This is his first time doing Future Stars so he is more excited/nervous than I have ever seen him. I'm thinking his nerves is what is causing the stomach issues.

I know this is not a medical forum but am wondering if others have kids with acid reflux and if nerves bring it on.

Nerves can worsen reflux. A Dr visit is in order to be sure its not something else going on. Protocol ulcer is one possibility. A food journal will help you figure out food triggers. Does he routinely take ibuprofen? That can affect the stomach too and make food triggers more severe.

A food journal will help you figure out food triggers.
You should definitely do this. Food affects people in different ways.

Does he routinely take ibuprofen? That can affect the stomach too and make food triggers more severe.
Tylenol is statistically less likely to irritate the stomach. Ask the doctor, obviously.

Sorry, I meant to say "peptic" ulcer. My phone likes to "correct" me in the strangest ways.

Tylenol is a good alternative for pain but won't help with controling inflammation, which is key in high impact sports. Taking an antacid with the Motrin would help but still needs a trip to the Dr.

We have an appointment this afternoon. My son rarely takes ibuprofen or any pain medicine and hasn't taken any recently. He has been taking Zyrtec the last couple weeks each morning for seasonal allergies.

We have an appointment this afternoon. My son rarely takes ibuprofen or any pain medicine and hasn't taken any recently. He has been taking Zyrtec the last couple weeks each morning for seasonal allergies.

Zyrtec can cause an upset stomach if not taken with food but wouldn't explain pain later in the day.

try a teaspoon of vinegar. and put some honey in it to make it go down a bit easier.:

Hmm, would love to know more about the vinegar and honey curing it. My dd has reflux and takes zantac almost daily. Some days it kicks in and acts up really badly at gymnastics and I wonder if her coaches think she is being a whiner or complaining about nothing. I would love a more natural "cure".

try a teaspoon of vinegar. and put some honey in it to make it go down a bit easier.:

Um, chemists out there - correct me if I'm wrong, but vinegar is an acid. Not exactly good for a system hay already has too much acid. A tsp of baking soda would appear to be more appropriate to neutralize the acid. . But the tums are doing that already.

Um, chemists out there - correct me if I'm wrong, but vinegar is an acid. Not exactly good for a system hay already has too much acid. A tsp of baking soda would appear to be more appropriate to neutralize the acid. . But the tums are doing that already.
I think you'll be so focused on the foul taste that you'll forget all about your upset stomach! Baking soda does work wonders on certain stomach issues.

Moderating note.

Please be artful when you give advice for medical issues. We do not allow it here. The only advice is, get it checked out.

I hope you get answers, digestive issues can be most unpleasant.

i'm not a chemist, but it works. so does pickle juice. i knew at one time why this was and for the life of me can't remember at the moment. still use both to this day, but without the honey. :)

and of course see the Doc.

A pediatric gastroenterologist is what I'd recommend. If the pain if after eating, food allergies are also a possibility. There is so much else it could be besides just reflux.

The Dr. recommended Zantac and to watch his diet a bit. He loves acidic foods - cherry tomatoes, spagetti, pizza, and lemonade. Also, he needs to slow down the eating after practice. He eats dinner too fast after practice because we are in such a rush to get through dinner, homework, showers. He did a great job eating slowly last night.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back