Parents Advise from those who have BTDT....mid-year level change.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed. My DD is a11 yr old Lvl4. She has been doing gym for about 2 years. Last year she did lvl 3/Lvl 4 on the development squad pretty successfully. She has all of her lvl 5 skills and has had them since mid-summer. She was having an issue on the cartwheel on beam after splitting it. Most of the girls were stuck on making kips so she spent a good portion of the summer working on kips and other skills which she had for months.

At then end of summer her coach and I talked about maybe moving her mid-season after the first invitational meet (end of Jan). She said she needed to get the cartwheel back and get a better handstand on beam to move. Also, there has been a lot of upheaval at the gym (head coach and several optional coaches left at the end of summer) which caused the lvl 5 coaching team was in transition. She was concerned that DD would probably fall thru the cracks on the LVL5 squad. Currently DD coach is out due to family issues for ‘a while’. Her assistant coach is filling in but has just a few years coaching exp. Since the fall season has started there has been no up-training. They have been working routines only. The first in house meet is in a week and then she has her first invitational in Jan. Her coaches have scored her high (9-9.75) range on her lvl 4 skills.

I am wondering if I should revisit my daughter's level sooner than the end of January after the meet. She seems to be losing interest in the sport as she has been working on the same skills for 2 seasons and she seems to have them mastered. On the other hand I don't know if pushing her up a level mid-season is best as she has not worked LVL5 skills since summer. Last season she moved from Dev group to Dev group quickly and never had time to bond with a team. She seems to really be happy w/the girls in her squad, just not the skills! Lastly, she has a tough time with stage fright and I am concerned that competing LVL 5 with out the girls she bonded w/and the confidence she has with LVL4 skills could be a mistake.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I asked my DD and she said she would LOVE to train w/the LVL5s, but just not compete which I don’t think is an option.

I apologize for the novel….thanks if you got through it!

Last edited:
Well, you could ask if DD could train with the level 5's a couple of times a week until she is confident in her level 5 routines, while continuing to compete (and do some training) with the level 4's. If the coaches agree to it, it could be the best of both worlds. We have a couple girls at our gym who are doing this, so it's not unheard of.

I agree with Mary, at your DD's age she does need the challenge and you know that she is capable. Training with the 5's a few days and with the fours a few would be great for her. She knows the 4 routines very well and would still get the challenge of the 5 skills that she needs to work on. At her age if she is not feeling challenged she is likely to quit.

Let the coach know what's going on with how your dd is feeling to see if there's a response that fits dd's inclination. Advocate for dd if the coach expresses concerns about the "rigors" of the next level by letting him/her know that dd is ready to accept the concequences of her choice, and that you're ready to "live with" any problems the next level presents.

I think two years of lvl3/4 would be enough to drive any kid to boredom, and the coaches need to shoulder part of the burden to get her to the next level, even if it was she that split the beam resulting in a fear issue. She'll either rise to the occassion out of neccessity, or mess up a few routines, but at least she'll have something to work for.

I think this is a situation where the coach/club philosophy want to ensure happy, smiling kids are out there competing, but IMO that's not the way many of us go beyond the norm to end up with something we're proud of, even if the result is being proud of the effort when things don't work out.....and there ain't nuthin wrong with that.

I agree that moving up has to be accompanied with a commitment to compete, as all of the kids in the group should be require to meet the same minimal requirements.....competition included.

Letting her work out with the 5s 1-2 days a week and competing 4 would be a great middle ground Doesn't sound like she is ready to compete 5 yet and if she isn't confident in the skills, it would not be a good experience for her. If working with the 5s isn't possible then I would maybe look to get a private a couple times a month to work on the level 5 skills to keep her interested, without putting her so far ahead of her group that she is always in this state of not fitting into a group skillwise. If she catches on really quickly then she may be able to make a jump in the summer.

From what you've said in other posts, it seems like her only meet experience at any level has been a few informal things at your gym. I would let her compete in some "real" USAG meets as a L4 to get the feel of competitions with a team/skills she is comforable with. If the gym will let her train 1 day/week with the L5s that would be great and make her move to L5 easier next season.

I agree with gymlawmom. If she hasn't done any big meets I would let her do those before talking to the gym about doing more with the L5s. I really wanted to say how great it is your gym is looking at her individually, kudos to them. Good luck at her first meet!

I say have her at least do 2 meets at level 4...if she gets really strong scores (like a 37+AA, and above a 9 on all 4 events) then I'd discuss the mid-year level change w/ the coaches. Because she's 11, as opposed to say 7 or 8, they may be more open to it in order to get her more with girls her age (I'm assuming there are more 10+ aged girls in Level 5 then there are in Level 4 at your gym?), and it's hard to argue that a girl getting 37+'s isn't ready to move up when she has the skills (I'm sure the cartwheel on beam will come, and if she's capable of a 9.2+ plus on L4 beam, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get at least a respectable beam score in L5...at least that's my opinion, coaches on here may disagree ;))..

Re: the working out w/ the L5s while competing L4, gyms in my area seem to really frown on that type of thing (even if it is just one or two days). I don't know if it's to avoid drama or what (like if they let one girl do it, everyone want to do it, etc.), but I've never really seen it be allowed (and I've been to multiple gyms where multiple parents have asked about such a thing and been turned down). Have you ever seen/heard of that type of thing happening at your gym before? If they'd allow something like that, yeah...that would be ideal (but I'm not sure they would say yes)...

Finally, if she would move to L5 mid-year, do you think she picks up quickly enough that she'll be ready for L6 next year (my opinion is that bars are the biggest obstacle for all the level moves, but that may be because it always seems to be the one holding my DD back ;/). If she would have to repeat L5 (or really do 1.5 years at L5), how would that change how you feel about moving her up?

I can't really answer your question, but I just wanted to say that doing a level 5 and missing the cartwheel is really not a big deal, especially early in the season. In DD's first level 5 meet last month she missed the cartwheel (no surprise - she misses it more than she sticks it right now - beam is her nemesis!) and still managed an 8.25. Amazingly that got her 6th place out of 15! And added to her other scores, it got her 2nd place all around (imagine if she'd stuck the cartwheel??!!)! Early in the season there are many girls who are still working on various things. I, personally, don't see the need for "perfection" at the beginning of the season, but I know there are many who would disagree with me. If your DD had her level 5 skills and the cartwheel was the only issue, I don't see a problem with moving up.

If your DD was at my DD's gym there would be no question - she'd be doing level 5 at the in-house meet, which is a great way to practice, and then also at the first invitational in January. There would be realistic expectations where beam is concerned, and her AA score could be affected, but she could still shine on the other 3 events!

In DD's first level 5 meet last month she missed the cartwheel (no surprise - she misses it more than she sticks it right now - beam is her nemesis!) and still managed an 8.25. Amazingly that got her 6th place out of 15! And added to her other scores, it got her 2nd place all around (imagine if she'd stuck the cartwheel??!!)!

I actually think she got 8th place, not 6th, sorry about that. But still - it was far from last! And she was definitely not the only one to miss the cartwheel or some other aspect of the beam routine (there were a couple of falls on other skills too).

Thanks for all your input on this! This really is a great group! DD and I talked about this and she really is up for new challenges. What sealed it was yesterday evening she was playing around and finally made her press handstands. She's been 'this close' for a while. She was so excited and i saw that sparkle in her eye return that I have not see for a while.

I guess this evening I will need to set up an appt to speak with the coach. The timing could be interesting. I am not sure how early registrations have to be in, but the lvl 4s only got to a subset of the invitations the lvl 5s attend. It couldbe that she is not even registered for several LVL 5 meets that deadlines have passed. Too bad the LVL 4s are the highest level that does the inhouse meets, that would be a great option. But then again she will not be upset to sit out a meet. She just really wants a new challenge.

Well, the meet was this weekend and DD did pretty good. She actually has a rough start on vault with a 6.6, and then recovered nicely with a 8.45 on beam, 9.0 on bars and 9.25 on floor. We were surprised by the trouble on vault as that was a given blue last year. She actually handled it wonderfully although I think she did her beam on the safe side and her score reflected it. Her nerves were not a factor at all. She seemed calm and to be enjoying the meet so that was a huge relief.

Here is a video of her floor. It looked pretty good to me although she reverted to her froggy BHS!

Abby floor 12/9/2012 - YouTube

Last week I had sent a note to her coach about potentially moving her up to level 5 mid-season and she misunderstood what I was asking and told me they always uptrain! Now after the meet and I reconsidering approaching the coach again. Given the scores and the floor routine does she look like she is correctly places in Lvl 4 or should I pursue the change? I really do appreciate the input, I really have no idea what to look for in a routine!

Last edited:
Nice job!! Her floor looked really clean, except for the back handspring. My guess is that if you asked about moving her up, they would be concerned about Level 5 vault....it is a MUCH harder to get over that table and do a decent vault in L5. And, if her back handspring usually looks that way, it would be hard to do a decent 2BHS in L5 (although maybe that was just a fluke).

Just my two cents.

I think the BHS is a fluke/nervous thing. She had trouble with her froggy legs last year, not so much this year. And I don't think she has trouble getting over the table. Her first vault she was flying so high that she barely touched the mat and she was worried she was going to hit her feet on the vault that was at the end of the mat so she bent her knees and landed in a bent awkward mess. My guess was too much adrenaline from first meet jitters. Also just prior to vaulting her sister fell on bars 2 times and was a crying hot mess, could have been that too.

Thanks for compliment. I think she looks pretty, I see her ballet lessons over the summer have influenced her routine!

Those are solid L4 scores (except vault). But it is not uncommon to see lots and lots of mid-9s and even high 9s at L4. So based on scores, no, I don't think she's ready for L5. Also, other than the BHS, she had very bent arms on the back extension roll which is also in L5 floor except into a handstand. There were several form issues. Please don't think I am being critical...it was a lovely routine! But since you asked, no, I would not see this as someone to consider moving up to 5. If she stays a 4, she'll have a good season. And since there aren't huge differences between 5 and 6, it might be better/more appropriate for her to work hard after meet season and skip 5. Just a thought. Looks like she is doing fine!

One thing to keep in mind is the judging at L5 is much tougher than L4. As DisMom pointed out she had some form issues on skills she would be doing at L5. It might be worth touching base with the coach, but I wouldn't push to have her move up. I think she'll grow in her confidence as a L4 and be strong next season.

judging by the floor routine alone, she should spend more time at level 4. but bars are the determinant metric for most coaches. i would have to see that to let you know for certain.

and can someone tell me what BTDT means?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back